closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose an exit watch (famous last words) for the perfect pair

Master

Help me choose an exit watch (famous last words) for the perfect pair

My very small collection is going to be getting smaller, I want a lovely pair of watches. But that is it! Currently I have a Speedmaster Moonwatch. You know the one:

This was a graduation gift and I will never part with it, it is just such a damn awesome watch.

I also have a Submariner and a Damasko DS30. After a lot of soul searching I have decided that the Rolex and the Damasko are going to go, the damasko is a recent buy and it is excellent but I just don't love it.

The sub, I have a love-hate relationship with. I think I have decided it is a stupendously awesome watch but for me, right now, I think it is worth too much money. I'm not rich, I'm not poor but I am not rich. I bought it because I came into a small inheritance but to be honest I should be putting that money someplace else. The sub could be a one watch collection for sure but I just prefer the speedy I think. When I get the warranty card from the AD this is up for the chop.

Basically, I have tried with cheaper watches, Seiko, Longines, Damasko and they are fine, but my tastes are just a bit more expensive I think, therefore if I was going to continue watches as a hobby it would just be too damn expensive (for now anyway!). So, I am out. But with one last hurrah!

I do want to buy a watch with that small inheritance and put the rest towards something more sensible. Then, I will end the forums, the videos, the reviews everything. I plan to become a normal rational person. Sure, my eyes will still probably wander to the wrists of each person I meet; just like a recovering alcoholic might gaze at a drink for just a second too long. And I will still know the reference numbers of all Rolex sports models and I will still know what a tourbillon is. This knowledge will be with me like a scar, a memory of my former WIS-self. Maybe one day I will return but it would be in an entirely different stage in my life.

So, the exit watch:
    -Non-black dial
    -WR at least 100m
    -Automatic or quartz
    -probably should come on a bracelet but look good on leather
    -if it is an auto I would like a display case back
    - it should have a date
    - it should cost less than £3k

So that is that. Look forward to watches you would suggest I take a look at.
    Last edited by watchstudent; 6th October 2019 at 14:00.

Craftsman
    Ball Engineer II Marvelight? Possibly a bit thick at 13 mm, but seems to tick the other boxes.

...oh, and when you do decide to sell the Damasko I'd be very happy to have a look at it. ;)

Master
    I think the best second hand money would be for something Omega if you want a three hander (Planet Ocean range), or Zenith if you want a chrono (El Primero). Should be able to get something very decent ticking yourself boxes for £3k or less

When could argue with such a sensible approach.

Despite having your Speedy, a Submariner, and an Explorer II, there are two watches I have that dominate my wrist time. I have become too conscious of the value of the Rolex watches, but find these both very high quality, easy to wear financially, and lovely in their unique ways

Breitling Aerospace

I fought against these for a long time, but it just wears very well, is super-accurate, great for travel and has useful functions. Mine in the PVD coated Night Mission, and to be honest the normal version is cheaper, can be refinished, has a bracelet if you wish, and had more dial colours. The NM does look awesome though ;)

Bell & Ross 123 Geneva

Incredibly high quality, and a lovely thing in the flesh. You would have to go used, but certainly less than £1200. Mine was about £950 on an amazing Camille Fournet leather strap and B&R deployante.

So that’s one TZ favourite, and one private pleasure that the few understand.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fits all requirements aside from display back..

I think Great White with Speedy and a smaller dress watch would be for me the perfect combo meal deal (oh God I've been listening to too much AC3).
    Last edited by Tetlee; 6th October 2019 at 14:43.

Master
    A touch over budget, but the watch I find which complements my Speedmaster is the Snowflake.

Black v's white, dress up, dress down, bracelet, leather, automatic AND quartz in one, the sweep of the second hand, the finishing of the indices and the dial are mesmerising. And it's still "a watch fan's watch", and will be that little bit unusual.

It seems to tick all boxes other than price, albeit is a very individual choice.

Grand Seiko. Plenty of choice preowned in the <£3k bracket.

Along with the Speedmaster you would then have a great pair of watches with limited recognition outside of WIS circles.

Journeyman

Preowned Omega Aqua Terra. You can pickup a Quartz for between £900-£1200 or auto for around £2000-£2200 with the 8500 movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mad14; 6th October 2019 at 16:35.

Master
    Great white is not something I had thought about but is interesting, although not sure a dive watch is what I am after.

Aqua Terra is a clear possibility and probably the most obvious one that ticks all the boxes.

Snowflake... hmm yeah that is interesting, could be worth stretching the budget for, plus I like that it is titanium.

Thanks guys, keep them coming if anyone has any other ideas. It is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post
    Preowned Omega Aqua Terra. You can pickup a Quartz for between £900-£1200 or auto for around £2000-£2200 with the 8500 movement.

This

Another vote for the Aqua Terra. A real do everything watch with Omega heritage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post

This is what I would be looking at too.

Aqua Terra, can’t go wrong on bracelet or leather. A great watch.

Master
    Tudor GMT. A bit of colour and with GMT a bit of extra functionality. I think it complements the Speedie well.

Craftsman
    Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial if the display back is just a like to have?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Omega Seamaster 300m - second hand should be in budget. Get the classic 2531.80.00 based on the 1120 pre-co axial.

Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Omega Seamaster 300m - second hand should be in budget. Get the classic 2531.80.00 based on the 1120 pre-co axial.

Martyn
    Thanks. Any reason you suggest that over aqua terra or slightly newer version?

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post

It just looks way better than AT.

I second the Snowflake suggestion, really versatile and comfortable to wear, incredible dial, unusual to see although that might change with the amount of promotion in the UK, saw a double page spread in the FT magazine this weekend as well as adverts on the tube.

Blog Entries

Super robust movement easily worked on by independents - before being the "enhanced" co-ax versions. Would pair really well with your speedmaster. Damn fine looking watch (IMHO), bullet proof - slim too.

I may even go as far as to recommend the quartz version - it never missed a beat, very accurate module, and looked great. Wish I still had it...

Though the modern ones aint too bad I guess - they are very much the same DNA - but I'd recommend the classic early ones and they would be in your budget and iconic too.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th October 2019 at 21:29.

Craftsman
    Aqua Terra or a blue faced pelagos?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    keep the sub, great pairing and you'll regret selling it in the long run

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sub & moonwatch has to be the classic wis couplet. I have neither but both are classics and complementary but don’t really address the dress watch ... maybe swap the sub for an Explorer.

Or and OP with a 369 dial in blue if you really don’t want black.
    Last edited by Montello; 6th October 2019 at 21:59.

Journeyman
    Personally I’d keep sub and speedy but then...the speedy I have is the brown dial version

But if I’m going to get rid of the sub and go with something more affordable,I’d refrain from going for another Omega as it’s unimaginative and boring to have two watch collection from the same brand

I’d go for snowflake or maybe Rolex white OP or white milgauss or maybe a white dial panerai (they’re usually more affordable than the dark dial version)

Master
    Not sure I agree that two Omegas are boring but there we go!

Trust me, selling the Sub is the right thing to do if I want one again in 10 years, Rolex will still be there and waiting. Another Rolex is probably too expensive right now.

Thinking with a two watch collection I could relax the non black dial. A seamaster 2254 is something I think I will look into as well.

Not sure I agree that two Omegas are boring but there we go!

Trust me, selling the Sub is the right thing to do if I want one again in 10 years, Rolex will still be there and waiting. Another Rolex is probably too expensive right now.

Thinking with a two watch collection I could relax the non black dial. A seamaster 2254 is something I think I will look into as well.

I’d say get a doxa , I cannot imagine not having a doxa in the collection, also a bit of colour for a sunny day

Why do you need two? Just wear the speedy and enjoy it. It can become ‘your’ watch. If you have two you’ll always end up wearing one more than the other. Save your money.

If you need to ask what to buy then wait until you see something yourself, then decide if it’s worth it. I bet, by then, you’ll have been wearing the speed master for so long that you won’t have even thought about watches for so long that even if you do see something else you’ll think ‘no, the moment’s gone and I’m happy with this now’. Ask me how I know!

Craftsman
    Tudor Northflag

I’m pleasantly surprised by all the Snowflake recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I second the Snowflake suggestion, really versatile and comfortable to wear, incredible dial, unusual to see although that might change with the amount of promotion in the UK, saw a double page spread in the FT magazine this weekend as well as adverts on the tube.
    Do you happen to have a copy / picture of that FT spread?

Master
    Have you considered a Panerai? Most seem to have display backs, should be well within budget second hand, especially if you go for the smaller models.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sub and Speedy are a great duo but if you want to ditch the sub and trade down price wise I think the Snowflake and the Aqua Terra are two great contenders. The Aqua Terra pre owned especially for the price.

Another one for me would be the current/new Seamster which after 20% off (which is what most people say you can get off) is £3,336.

Master
    Tudor BB58 to replace the sub or maybe a use Oyster perpetual 36/39mm?

I would also suggest the white dialed 8500 Aqua Terra... but then I am biased as I have on now on SC!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

How about an Omega Globemaster?

Makes a good pair with the Speedy.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 7th October 2019 at 10:43.

Craftsman
    Definitely a Zenith in my mind. An El Primero should be doable second hand.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using TZ-UK mobile app

With the Speedmaster there is nothing wrong with going for another omega. For me if not I the pre ceramic bond Seamaster as suggested I’d go with the 2254.

Almost bullet proof
    Look amazing, Lume for ages!
    Perfect for almost anything. And fits under a cuff.
    Mines been out the daily collection all summer and used as a holiday watch on Rubber and NATOs. Just put it back on bracelet today and it’s back in normal rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Why do you need two? Just wear the speedy and enjoy it. It can become ‘your’ watch. If you have two you’ll always end up wearing one more than the other. Save your money.

If you need to ask what to buy then wait until you see something yourself, then decide if it’s worth it. I bet, by then, you’ll have been wearing the speed master for so long that you won’t have even thought about watches for so long that even if you do see something else you’ll think ‘no, the moment’s gone and I’m happy with this now’. Ask me how I know!
    Agree with the sentiment here but if your only watch is a Speedy I do think you need a second watch with better water resistance, even if it just a G-Shock.

Journeyman
    Great write up OP!

I enjoyed that very much!

Hopefully one day I can be in a position to own a Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Agree with the sentiment here but if your only watch is a Speedy I do think you need a second watch with better water resistance, even if it just a G-Shock.
    It's tempting to think so, but unless one works around water I should think most rational non WIS folk would just take it off. I normally take mine off when swimming (which I do maybe an average of 6 hours a year in the sea at our holiday house) and mine's rated to 300m!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The sub, I have a love-hate relationship with. I think I have decided it is a stupendously awesome watch but for me, right now, I think it is worth too much money. I'm not rich, I'm not poor but I am not rich. I bought it because I came into a small inheritance but to be honest I should be putting that money someplace else. The sub could be a one watch collection for sure but I just prefer the speedy I think. When I get the warranty card from the AD this is up for the chop.
    This makes no sense.
    The sub is a stupendously awesome watch and you bought it for RRP, so its made you more money than any high interest savings account already and youve worn and enjoyed it.
    It also pairs well with the speedmaster as both are icons in their respective corners.

Youve got a watch already thats steadinly rising in value and one that you appear to be very fond of. The suggestions in this thread are all likely to drop like stones so if you want to enjoy a watch and preserve your inheritance i would advise you keep the sub.
    "someplace else" is unlikely to be as financially secure as a submariner and you could take the view that your money is always there should you NEED it.

I know that theres going to be a lot of meeping that watches arent about investment and blah blah blah, but inheritance imo is a different matter.

Craftsman
    I agree with the above, the speedy pro and sub would be a great pair to bow out with.

Do not sell what you have. Enjoy them reassess in 20 years time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This makes no sense.
    The sub is a stupendously awesome watch and you bought it for RRP, so its made you more money than any high interest savings account already and youve worn and enjoyed it.
    It also pairs well with the speedmaster as both are icons in their respective corners.

Youve got a watch already thats steadinly rising in value and one that you appear to be very fond of. The suggestions in this thread are all likely to drop like stones so if you want to enjoy a watch and preserve your inheritance i would advise you keep the sub.
    "someplace else" is unlikely to be as financially secure as a submariner and you could take the view that your money is always there should you NEED it.

I know that theres going to be a lot of meeping that watches arent about investment and blah blah blah, but inheritance imo is a different matter.
    ^^
    This is pretty much my exact thoughts when I read your OP. Keep the Sub, keep the Speedie. Job done.

Master
    Keeping just the Speedy is very tempting, it is something with more WR that I am after, but yes, a G Shock could do that.

As for keeping the Sub and Speedy. I like the Sub a lot, but honestly it is maybe a bit flash for me. With the financial side, the way I see it is that I will have enjoyed it for a year and it will have earned me money... that is nuts. I am not really sure the SS sports Rolex situation is going to last forever and so if I want to buy another Rolex in 10 years time I am sure I could, and if I can't oh well... Remember I actually want to end this as a hobby. I don't want the replacement watch to be an investment. I just want a watch I really like. Putting the money into my mortgage, will I am sure, earn me more in saved interest. And if it didn't that is fine. Paying off the mortgage is more important to me.

Very sensible indeed, you should probably leave this forum while you're still of sound mind

Seriously though, right priorities there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The suggestions in this thread are all likely to drop like stones ...
    That’s not really true a classic omega or anything picked up at used prices is going to hold fairly steady.

OP would only lose out if he trades the sub for another watch at retail.

I had a Rolex about 6 years ago, I’ve no interest to go back at the moment. So many other watches at better value compared to crazy second hand prices. The standard sub is exactly that. A mass produced watch.

Sinn 556i or 104 would allow you to put a few thousand into your savings, and would be better around water than the Speedy. Also both versatile and look good on a range of strap options.

Master
    I’d also be tempted to get a BB58 and not worry about different dial colours.

Exit watch? Will need to be Swiss, for sure...

M

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Tudor GMT. A bit of colour and with GMT a bit of extra functionality. I think it complements the Speedie well.
    +1