closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Datejust enthusiasts - can you help

Craftsman

Datejust enthusiasts - can you help

Hi everyone,
    I’m looking to add a DJ to my collection. I’ve got the ideal ‘spec’ in mind but I’m getting lost in the endless variations of both new and old datejust!!
    I would like a bullseye (or tuxedo?)dial in black /silver, a roulette datewheel, fluted bezel, and a super(?) jubilee with the concealed clasp.
    I’ve found a few 6 digit models that have most of the bits I like but I can’t seem to find the perfect watch just yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’m open to size and 5/6 digit but prefer SS/WG.

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As a Datejust fan I'd love to help but I don't think mine is going to meet your spec. I've got a rhodium dial, a smooth bezel & an Oyster bracelet, all in SS.
    It's a brilliant looker & slides seamlessly between suit and jeans, equally at home in either milieu.
    Try it & see what you think.

I think (but stand to be corrected) that dial was only an option with the six digit 116234 (WG fluted) or 116200 (domed) which can have optional oyster or super jubilee bracelet. It isn’t a current dial. That should give you a date range to focus on.

Alternatively look for the dial on its own and fit to your watch.

I have also seen that dial on 16234 and 16014 models occasionally, maybe 1601s too, but can't recall whether they had the roulette date wheel. That might be a 6 digit thing I suppose.

I think the 116234 variant would have been available from 2004 until comparatively recently.

Dial swaps are not an uncommon thing with DJs of course, where owners are not so precious about it as is the case with 'collectable' sports models.

Grand Master
    The bullseye dial was current from around 2008-2013, I remember Blowers always seemed to have one available around that time. I’m certain they were only offered on the 6 digit post 2006 models but could be fitted to the earlier ones as a dial swap. As I recall this wasn’t a popular choice and I have to say it isn't my favourite.

Datejust dials do get swapped, I’ve done this on my own 16014 and 16234, provided the dial us genuine Rolex the value isn’t compromised.

Only problem I see with the Super- Jubilee is lack of fine adjustment,

Craftsman
    Great info guys, thanks for the help

Journeyman
    I was just about to start a similar thread,

I was looking at the 126300 and most recent explorer, and as a total Rolex noob, will the explorer be much more durable as a watch?

I love the look of both, but as someone who is quite clumsy and has an at times very physical job, I want the hardest wearing watch I can get of the two. Obviously if I know I’m doing something where I might damage it, I wear a g shock, but situations aren’t always predictable.

The Breitling I originally bought as my “nice watch” has been worn constantly since I bought it, has survived 4 deployments across several countries and is still going well, but its certainly picked up plenty of dings and scratches along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky21 View Post
    I was looking at the 126300 and most recent explorer, and as a total Rolex noob, will the explorer be much more durable as a watch?
    I doubt it.

They will both be very well made, durable watches.

I was just about to start a similar thread,

I love the look of both, but as someone who is quite clumsy and has an at times very physical job, I want the hardest wearing watch I can get of the two. Obviously if I know I’m doing something where I might damage it, I wear a g shock, but situations aren’t always predictable.

The Breitling I originally bought as my “nice watch” has been worn constantly since I bought it, has survived 4 deployments across several countries and is still going well, but its certainly picked up plenty of dings and scratches along the way.
    I think you will find there is no difference in quality or ruggedness whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    From what I’ve read they do seem very similar, with the DJ being slightly easier to find perhaps.

From what I’ve read they do seem very similar, with the DJ being slightly easier to find perhaps.
    Another similarity is that both Explorer and Datejust are far better in their classic 36mm size. Still available in the case of the DJ of course, sadly no longer the Explorer.

Personal opinion. Everyone should suit themselves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    Another similarity is that both Explorer and Datejust are far better in their classic 36mm size. Still available in the case of the DJ of course, sadly no longer the Explorer.

Personal opinion. Everyone should suit themselves.
    I'd differ with TF23 here, I've got the 41mm version but I've got enormous, flat wrists & need the bigger case size.
    He's spot on about the personal preference issue though.
    My DJ41 with smooth bezel & SS Oyster bracelet (PCL) is just what I need - tough but elegant, effortlessly reliable. It's sporty enough but still elegant - all bases are covered. It's distinctive but understated.
    Beautifully made, a joy to look at & best of all, my wife likes it!
    I don't regret anything except waiting so long to get one. I've got a Moonwatch & a Seamaster 2254 but the DJ really is becoming "one watch to rule them all".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I'd differ with TF23 here, I've got the 41mm version but I've got enormous, flat wrists & need the bigger case size.
    He's spot on about the personal preference issue though.
    My DJ41 with smooth bezel & SS Oyster bracelet (PCL) is just what I need - tough but elegant, effortlessly reliable. It's sporty enough but still elegant - all bases are covered. It's distinctive but understated.
    Beautifully made, a joy to look at & best of all, my wife likes it!
    I don't regret anything except waiting so long to get one. I've got a Moonwatch & a Seamaster 2254 but the DJ really is becoming "one watch to rule them all".
    Same here got the DJ41 and I really can't see the attraction of the 36mm DJs. I think if people tried on the DJ41 they might be pleasantly surprised. I haven't got extra large wrists and it fits beautifully.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    I doubt it.

They will both be very well made, durable watches.
    I can almost here the rage from purists, but....

How different are they as actual watches? In regards movement durability etc? I believe it’s a newer movement in the DJ, but does the explorer being a “sports model” actually mean much mechanically?

Also, heads up.

36mm black faced DJ in steel on a jubilee at Terminal 5.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Same here got the DJ41 and I really can't see the attraction of the 36mm DJs. I think if people tried on the DJ41 they might be pleasantly surprised. I haven't got extra large wrists and it fits beautifully.
    Don't say that, I've got a stickered up, unworn, LNIB blue dial DJ36 I'll be looking to offload very soon. :)

... Because it's too small for my large wrist, and I prefer the DJII which fits me perfectly.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Don't say that, I've got a stickered up, unworn, LNIB blue dial DJ36 I'll be looking to offload very soon. :)

... Because it's too small for my large wrist, and I prefer the DJII which fits me perfectly.
    Is it the one with the concealed clasp?

I can almost here the rage from purists, but....

How different are they as actual watches? In regards movement durability etc? I believe it’s a newer movement in the DJ, but does the explorer being a “sports model” actually mean much mechanically?

The sport and non-sport ranges share the same movements, basically according to function (eg date, non-date, etc). So for example both the Datejust and the Submariner Date have featured the 3135 calibre since the late 80s.

The new generation movements which are starting to be rolled out offer a longer power reserve but I can't see why they would be more or less durable than their predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    Is it the one with the concealed clasp?

Sorry, on Oyster not jubilee
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sorry, on Oyster not jubilee
    That’s a shame, I was about to bite your hand off!

Journeyman
    The sport and non-sport ranges share the same movements, basically according to function (eg date, non-date, etc). So for example both the Datejust and the Submariner Date have featured the 3135 calibre since the late 80s.

The new generation movements which are starting to be rolled out offer a longer power reserve but I can't see why they would be more or less durable than their predecessors.
    Ahhh ok.

That’s really good to know, thank you.