closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster pricing

Speedmaster pricing

I was walking along George Street last week and had a look at the Omegas in Laing's. There was the Speedy sitting at £4.4k. Now I love a Speedy, I have one, but is it really worth that amount of money?

I think not.

Are there discounts to be had as of old, on Omega's RRP, or is the relentless march "up market" prove that a) I've fallen behind the times b) Omega's taking the pee or c) both?

What's your view of a fair market price for the Speedmaster?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

There was a thread on Speedy discounts recently - 20% was mentioned several times.

Craftsman
    Which version is listed at £4.4K? RRP on the hesalite version is £4K now.

Same watch getting RRP increase from ~£3.3k to £4K in couple of years - blame devaluation of £££

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I was walking along George Street last week and had a look at the Omegas in Laing's. There was the Speedy sitting at £4.4k. Now I love a Speedy, I have one, but is it really worth that amount of money?

I think not.

Are there discounts to be had as of old, on Omega's RRP, or is the relentless march "up market" prove that a) I've fallen behind the times b) Omega's taking the pee or c) both?

What's your view of a fair market price for the Speedmaster?
    Was it the one with the steel strap version in the big box, with the medal, the loop and a couple of extra straps? The reason for asking was that I was offered the same watch whilst in Turkey for a "special price" of £4.4k but could reclaim some tax. A quick look on eBay/Chrono24 showed I could get the same watch for about £3.6k - one was actually in the U.K.

All to rich for me especially when you can buy a 2nd hand Speedy Pro for less than £3k. In fact you can get a automatic Speedy for less than £1.5k or a Co-Axal Speedy for around £2.5k (which seem quite good value to me).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

They are super watches, price wise if they were around £2.8k as they were not long ago it would make them cheap in comparison to what else it out there.

Really though I think the main competition to Rolex is being swept along with Rolex’s hype and prices.

Back in `02 i was in the Omega dealers with a Speedy Pro on my wrist and talking discounts from the ~£1400 list price.
    I bought a Triple Date instead.
    Fail..

Master
    £3295 here brand new for the hesalite model..
    https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/JWEBA48NDJ

£3895 for sapphire crystal
    https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/JPRYBBPHSD

Journeyman
    The Hesalite model has been bumped up to £4K, although it looks like it’s slowly trickling out to ADs as I’ve seen a few up their price right away and a few stragglers yet to.

So I’m guessing it must have been the sapphire sandwich version at £4.4k.

I’m happy with the price increase as I got mine 2years ago at £3k, so it just makes me feel like I got a better deal (even though I know it was half of £3k only a few years before I bought it).

I’m guessing that there will be another increase early next year, as I’ve heard that even after this increase UK prices are still~4-500£ cheaper than elsewhere in the world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Back in `02 i was in the Omega dealers with a Speedy Pro on my wrist and talking discounts from the ~£1400 list price.
    Fail..
    Perhaps so if money is all that matters. I wear my triple dates probably 10x as much as I wear my pro.

Craftsman
    Fail..
    A Seamaster at that time was £1050. Look at them now...

I bet a Submariner began with a 2 (can't he sure though).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    A Seamaster at that time was £1050. Look at them now...

I bet a Submariner began with a 2 (can't he sure though).
    They did indeed begin with a 2 back in those days. Around £2.3k as far as I remember. The LV a couple of years later was about £2.6k which is how I remember. How prices have changed!

If the Moon watch had been out of production and they brought it back at between £4500-£4950 I'm damn sure a lot of people would be calling it great value. A bloody Tag Monaco Chrono is around £4750!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Perhaps so if money is all that matters. I wear my triple dates probably 10x as much as I wear my pro.
    No, the money side of it doesn`t matter to me at all, i just regret not buying the Speedy Pro as it`s an all-time classic.
    I wasn`t a watch `collector` back then, and probably didn`t even have a computer so was ignorant of the watches` wider status and respect it has on forums etc.
    I still have the triple-date, and will probably never sell it, but i should of gone with my instinct and plumped for the `real Speedy` but was taken in by all the features of the Triple-date.
    I`ll probably never own one now as it`ll be too painful to pay the current asking price remembering what i could of bought one for!

Master
    No, the money side of it doesn`t matter to me at all, i just regret not buying the Speedy Pro as it`s an all-time classic.
    I wasn`t a watch `collector` back then, and probably didn`t even have a computer so was ignorant of the watches` wider status and respect it has on forums etc.
    I still have the triple-date, and will probably never sell it, but i should of gone with my instinct and plumped for the `real Speedy` but was taken in by all the features of the Triple-date.
    I`ll probably never own one now as it`ll be too painful to pay the current asking price remembering what i could of bought one for!
    Oh, I get your point. I was just saying that despite the prestige, heritage, following, and so on, I'll still take a triple date over my pro. The triple date as a watch is fantastic, with a great movement, brilliant size, useful complications, lovely ergonomic design, but it gets looked over purely because isn't a pro, not because of what it is. Try not to feel too remorseful, you still ended up with a cracking watch :) which variant did you go for out of interest?

^^^^^^^This little tiddler;

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If the Moon watch had been out of production and they brought it back at between £4500-£4950 I'm damn sure a lot of people would be calling it great value. A bloody Tag Monaco Chrono is around £4750!
    Good point!

And people will spend 5 figures on a used green coloured 3 hand Rolex...

Journeyman
    I got mine 3 years ago for about 3k. Cant see how the price can continue to increase.

£2667 is a possible price from Ernest Jones if you have access to EJ vouchers via discounted work schemes and combine it with the 16.67% discount you get for invoking the 'Gatwick' technique. If this makes sense to you then you know how to do it and I've jogged your memory, if it doesn't then such is life, get one from Hackett.

The technique I outlined above is the one used for the PSAs before the usual numbnuts ruined it here for everyone (and the fundraiser) so you'll I'm sure forgive me if I dont openly share the method as I can still use it for myself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    £2667 is a possible price from Ernest Jones if you have access to EJ vouchers via discounted work schemes and combine it with the 16.67% discount you get for invoking the 'Gatwick' technique. If this makes sense to you then you know how to do it and I've jogged your memory, if it doesn't then such is life, get one from Hackett.

The technique I outlined above is the one used for the PSAs before the usual numbnuts ruined it here for everyone (and the fundraiser) so you'll I'm sure forgive me if I dont openly share the method as I can still use it for myself.

Do you do that online or go in store? I can get the EJ vouchers through work but going to an EJ that stocks Omega is a pain. Having to go to a store is hardly a deal breaker, Id just rather do it from the comfort of my sofa haha

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Do you do that online or go in store? I can get the EJ vouchers through work but going to an EJ that stocks Omega is a pain. Having to go to a store is hardly a deal breaker, Id just rather do it from the comfort of my sofa haha
    Will PM you

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Omega price rises are making some of the vintage Omega chronos look great value. Speedy Mk2/3/4 and Speedsonic especially.

Journeyman
    has the price increase recently? i swear they were RRP £3810 last week at Earnest Jones and Goldsmiths, now they are £4000?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    has the price increase recently? i swear they were RRP £3810 last week at Earnest Jones and Goldsmiths, now they are £4000?
    It was with effect from 1 October although some stores didnt update pricing until 2nd or 3rd Oct.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    It was with effect from 1 October although some stores didnt update pricing until 2nd or 3rd Oct.
    Ah i see - annoyingly i'm on the cusp of purchasing one, hopefully they can offer some good discount if i ask nicely!

Master
    ^^^^^^^This little tiddler;

A good choice. I much prefer it to my speedy reduced, and find that the lume is fantastic.

Apprentice
    https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...h_professional

No discounted price even through SWD. Is this a sign that Omega are tightening up on their price points after the recent rises?

In my humble opinion a Speedmaster still gets you an iconic watch for a lot less then Rolex does.. even at 4.4gbp..