closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex conversation with a stranger

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex conversation with a stranger

Played golf with a guy this week, never met him before. In the bar after the round we are chatting away with a mutual friend and the subject of Watchfinder is mentioned in the conversation.

He told me he bought a nice watch from them six years ago. I enquire, what model. A Daytona he said.

Hmmm very nice I say, he said yes I’m really pleased with it I paid £6500 approx

I’m thinking £6500 six years ago that seems too good to be true.

I ask if he knew what year it was, later that day he texted our mutual friend it’s a 1984 full set.

I am now on Chrono24 looking at Daytona’s manufactured in that year. Anywhere from 80 to 200$k.

I texted my mate back, to say is this a wind up?

My mate called me to say, I thought you might say that, he is a renowned BSh*tter....

Why would you do that?

Some people have a need to try and impress others, some get a kickout of winding others up. Or maybe he was just very lucky buying a watch at a good price.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Some people have a need to try and impress others, some get a kickout of winding others up. Or maybe he was just very lucky buying a watch at a good price.
    I’m hoping it was the latter...

One of my local DPD drivers was telling me that he is earning £60k/yr after tax..................

Wow! Really??

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    One of my local DPD drivers was telling me that he is earning £60k/yr after tax..................

Wow! Really??
    My local Hermes driver tells me a similar story although with more details that do add some potential legitimacy to it. It’s a franchise operation, he has the local franchise, he and his partner work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day to avoid the need to put a third van on the road.

Not sure how legal it is to be driving that much as a multi drop driver but the numbers add up. 2 blokes earning the salary of 3 and putting all their costs through the books as business expenses should make you really good money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Wow! Really??
    I’m sending you my CV

I think they are a wind up.🤓
    Last edited by JasonM; 5th October 2019 at 10:07.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    .... he and his partner work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day...
    That is a miserable existence. Good money or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampjohnny View Post
    Certainly sounds hard work but if it's a means to an end well.

The OP asks what would you do?

As Omegamaniac has said, some people cannot help themselves when it comes to spouting BS as a defence mechanism. I know a highly intelligent, successful gent, who knows every subject better than you, and BS'es even when he knows you know he's doing it and you know more about the subject. The effect is spoiled on the subject of watches, as he calls PPs, Partick Phillips. He does it as a sort of challenge to see whether you accept it, and to see how far he can take it.

We usually let him win and then laugh about it afterwards. That's what I suggest you do with Daytona man.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Certainly sounds hard work but if it's a means to an end well.
    I *think* (and I could be wrong about some of the details here) he said it is a short term play. But I chat to him fairly often as Asos and Amazon use Hermes for low value and weekend deliveries. I’ll ask him.

I once heard a story about a bloke who persuaded a council to give him the street lighting maintenance contract. He said he had like 10 vans and 30 lads but it was just him and his brother in one van taking it in turns to work and sleep (this was in the 70s before reasonable DD would’ve uncovered this). He did it for 2 years before he had the money to start the business he really wanted to do and was worth £200m at one point in the 2000s.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think they are a wind up.
    To be fair, if I thought someone was giving it the big I am about watches (not saying you were), I might try a bit of devilment like this. Just for my own amusement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, if I thought someone was giving it the big I am about watches (not saying you were), I might try a bit of devilment like this. Just for my own amusement.

Fair comment, but I never started the conversation regarding WF or watches...

Master
    In future you will know if they are lying when you ask them if it came with the warranty card and they say yes...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    In future you will know if they are lying when you ask them if it came with the warranty card and they say yes...
    LOL!

Because in Golf clubs you get a lot of people trying to look important / wealthy / flash.

Usually heads of the board at some nonsense society that meet every Sunday and gasbag all day

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampjohnny View Post
    No one intends (or can) do that forever. As Passenger said, it is is surely a means to an end.

It's worth it if it works out and if you're relatively young then any risks might well seem worth it too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Because in Golf clubs you get a lot of people trying to look important / wealthy / flash.

Usually heads of the board at some nonsense society that meet every Sunday and gasbag all day
    I was playing Peterculter GC in NE Scotland not Wentworth, otherwise I would tend to agree.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anomalies do happen with a bit of luck you might be their at the right time or just get lucky or even unlucky and not pull the trigger. As, for myself I bought a Military Tudor Submariner 82 with papers for 1700 US around 1998. I also remember Rolex Military Subs and Comex divers for around £20- 30k from James Dowling.
    The Tudor is long gong and before and crazy value rise. A few others anomalies have passed through my hands but I am watch enthusiast not investor with a crystal ball. I have had the pleasure of owning and wearing some very special watches and ending them until my next want.
    All said I d wish I had bought a Submariner 1680 red, birth year with super complete full set for £3000 of James for my wedding watch. That would have been nice to pass on.
    A final thought I remember a few years ago on Paul Thorpe’s site a four digit Daytona with boxes and papers for 24k.

M

I bought my 16710 (full set) for 3800 euros back in 2007. It's worth probably over 10K now.

Do I think it's worth 10K? Hell no. I don' t care though... I'm not selling.

I understand the double Red, or even red 1680 because they're becoming rare... but who would be crazy enough to pay that money for a model that has been _seriously_ mass produced, like the 16710?

Where did this crazy hype come from? Along with the new steel model shortage, huh?

I have a strong feeling that the next recession will take care of things. After that my 16710 isn't probably worth 10K anymore. Do I care? No... I'm still not selling. :D

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think they are a wind up.邏
    I see what you did there.👏

Master
    We have someone at work who is a compulsive bullshitter I personally think he’s not right in the head ID love to see a shrinks evaluation of him, I used to have a mate years ago who was one and he had 2 breakdowns

Grand Master
    My local Hermes driver tells me a similar story although with more details that do add some potential legitimacy to it. It’s a franchise operation, he has the local franchise, he and his partner work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day to avoid the need to put a third van on the road.

Not sure how legal it is to be driving that much as a multi drop driver but the numbers add up. 2 blokes earning the salary of 3 and putting all their costs through the books as business expenses should make you really good money.

Id be earning good money working 7 days and 18 hour days!.A lot more to life than working almost every hour in the day.

And still on topic with regards to driving regs etc.....as it got me thinking.

And with regards to driving hours and what is allowed,that is all online.Until my present job I was on the road driving class 1 HGVs all regulated as it should.
    But nothing to stop anyone on their last shift and then on holiday to go home hook up the caravan as for eg and set of around the world if they wanted!,foolish yes but you can with no regulation.

Do we know how many hours your local taxi driver has worked when you climb in!.......NO.What would you say or do if he said he had worked excessively over your typical working day?,but you'd never know because he'd choose to bend the truth a lot.

What does a taxi driver earn?.....for his unregulated driving all day and night!?.

Or do they have some form of driving hours regulation otherthan self governed?.

A few days back I played a round of golf with two guys in my local club and one of them was going on and on about watches, Rolex this, Rolex that blah blah blah so I told him that I’ve bought a Daytona for peanuts to shut him up which actually did the trick and we switched the subject..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Id be earning good money working 7 days and 18 hour days!.A lot more to life than working almost every hour in the day.

And still on topic with regards to driving regs etc.....as it got me thinking.

And with regards to driving hours and what is allowed,that is all online.Until my present job I was on the road driving class 1 HGVs all regulated as it should.
    But nothing to stop anyone on their last shift and then on holiday to go home hook up the caravan as for eg and set of around the world if they wanted!,foolish yes but you can with no regulation.

Do we know how many hours your local taxi driver has worked when you climb in!.......NO.What would you say or do if he said he had worked excessively over your typical working day?,but you'd never know because he'd choose to bend the truth a lot.

What does a taxi driver earn?.....for his unregulated driving all day and night!?.

Or do they have some form of driving hours regulation otherthan self governed?.
    I’m more concerned if some of the taxi and white van drivers are actually in possession of a valid UK driving license by the manner they drive..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I’m more concerned if some of the taxi and white van drivers are actually in possession of a valid UK driving license by the manner they drive..
    Agreed.

Journeyman
    Ya the conversation usually goes like this.

Ya mate i have a rolex
    Oh really nice what model
    Ah i havent a clue mate
    Show him a picture of a few different watches . Is it any of them?
    He points at an Omega

Master
    https://youtu.be/43REaE615m4

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    How much would a Daytona cost 6 years ago? List price new was around £6200 in 2011, new or nearly new were selling at a small premium over list. Reason I remember this us because I turned one down on the basis that I didn’t like the watch enough to keep so I would be buying simply to make approx £500 profit, I couldn't bothered with the hassle.

Not sure the prices had risen substantially between 2011 and 2013, I think not, so without some numbers and estimates of prices I wouldn’t be convinced the story was bullshit. The big price hype has happened far more recently, current values are totally different from 2013 prices.

I’m no expert, what’s the big deal with a 1984 model?

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    A few days back I played a round of golf with two guys in my local club and one of them was going on and on about watches, Rolex this, Rolex that blah blah blah so I told him that I’ve bought a Daytona for peanuts to shut him up which actually did the trick and we switched the subject..
    My thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The OP asks what would you do?
    He doesn't.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    https://youtu.be/43REaE615m4

Not seen that before, very good. One in every club.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Not seen that before, very good. One in every club.
    If only one then you're lucky... ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I bought my 16710 (full set) for 3800 euros back in 2007. It's worth probably over 10K now.

Do I think it's worth 10K? Hell no. I don' t care though... I'm not selling.
    I paid the equivalent of around £3200 for my full set, Y-series NOS with B&P in 2015. Do I think it's worth £10k now? Well, that depends on what else that £10k would buy me. Given that the alternatives that appealed then - an SD 116600, or 1665 or a Sub 1680 - still appeal now but have risen by similar amounts, I'm really no better off.

OTOH, there has been a price gap open up between the SD 16600 and the 16710 - worth similar amounts in 2015 - so that there's now enough between them to buy an Omega GMT of some sort. And that does get me thinking.

Wow! Really??
    Not surprised really....when I was a staff supervisor in industry I regularly signed time sheets that saw our overtime “big-hitters” make £150-200k gross.
    Loads more held back to avoid hitting tax thresholds
    Not sure that amount of driving and stress is very good for you though

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Not surprised really....when I was a staff supervisor in industry I regularly signed time sheets that saw our overtime “big-hitters” make £150-200k gross.
    Loads more held back to avoid hitting tax thresholds
    Not sure that amount of driving and stress is very good for you though
    Seriously? I had him down as being a bullsh1tter on that. How much is that pre-tax/NI? Has to be around £85k? With deliveries of Amazon/EBay parcels becoming more and more cut-throat, it’s hard to see anyone paying that sort of money and stay viable.

I think he's a bit insecure and has to BS to impress people. However, three years ago I bought a 2015 Daytona 116520 from a secondhand dealer for £8,800. I've seen them now going for close to £20,000 but when I was thinking of selling last week, the highest I was offered from a dealer was £15,500. Maybe his figures aren't too far out and it may have been a bi-metal model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Simple solution with these types is to up the game.

“Yeah I have another at home, but I never wear it ... inherited it from my grandad, it’s one of those ones with a white dial and small black dials ... just sits in a drawer ... “

Craftsman
    Some people are just insecure & feel the need to big themselves up in front of others, others they often feel are more successful than them.
    I have a cousin who tells me every time he gets a pay rise, and goes into detail about when he tried to leave how they offered him 6k more to stay. It genuinely makes him feel needed and important.
    If thats what it takes to give him peace of mind, then let him at it. Doesn't bother me really, its info he wants to share, and I'll never be competition with him as ill never tell him what i earn, if i get a raise, etc etc.

Regarding the working all of the days, if its a means to an end for a short period of time, i can see sense and merit in it. doing it for a year or two to build up a deposit for a house or to clear off debt makes sense. Long term, its not for me.
    Ive made conscious decisions over the past year that meant turning down better paid positions but that came with a lot more responsibility, my logic being that any monetary gain could never buy back the time i missed with my new baby.
    He is only small for such a short period of time & I'm enjoying it immensely. A slightly shorter mortgage or bigger bank balance cant ever come close to being of the same value as watching him grow, being there for him and just having fun with him.
    Thats my decision and im happy with it, others make their choices, they have to live with them, and often, bragging about the salary is really them trying to convince themselves that the juice is worth the squeeze when they really feel its not.

Lastly, as a wise man once said "there's always a bigger willy in the room", the only way to win is simply not to play.

I worked with a guy a few years ago who could NEVER tell the truth. EVER. Even the simplest of information had to be embellished in some way or other.

It was as though he thought that telling the truth was a wasted bull$4itting opportunity.

He really did make himself look like such a pillock, as everyone he spoke to was very aware he was lying, but he was so in awe of his own BS that I think he had started to believe it himself.

All a bit sad really.
    Pretty sure it was an insecurity thing.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I think he's a bit insecure and has to BS to impress people. However, three years ago I bought a 2015 Daytona 116520 from a secondhand dealer for £8,800. I've seen them now going for close to £20,000 but when I was thinking of selling last week, the highest I was offered from a dealer was £15,500. Maybe his figures aren't too far out and it may have been a bi-metal model.
    Your buying cost fits in pretty much inline with my purchase, I bought a 2013 White face Daytona 116520 from a dealer in June 2015, complete with box and papers etc. It was mint and as new, I paid £7700 for it and If I remember correctly rrp was about £7850 at the time although you could not get a new one at the time !

They also had a Zenith Daytona 16520 in the window but it was £10500 , well out of my reach, mind you look what they are fetching now.

Wow! Really??
    Couple years ago my regular DPD guy told me he gets £2.50 per parcel and aims 100 drops per day.

In my experience, those who shout / bullshit the most are usually plagued by issues of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by roviw View Post
    Your buying cost fits in pretty much inline with my purchase, I bought a 2013 White face Daytona 116520 from a dealer in June 2015, complete with box and papers etc. It was mint and as new, I paid £7700 for it and If I remember correctly rrp was about £7850 at the time although you could not get a new one at the time !

They also had a Zenith Daytona 16520 in the window but it was £10500 , well out of my reach, mind you look what they are fetching now.
    Just after I'd bought mine, I saw a Zenith Daytona in the window of Chisholm and Hunter in the Manchester Arndale for the same price. I thought to myself, "They don't know what they've got." In hindsight, I should have snapped it up but I thought I'd got too much money tied up in watches.