closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any old coin experts on here

Any old coin experts on here

Found this amongst the stones on my driveway and looks pretty old. The barn I live in dates back to the 1700's but the coin looks older.

I've asked a friend to come over with his metal detector as I'm hoping there's going to be a load more of these and will clear my mortgage :-)

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

WOW, that looks like an Edward groat/half groat of some form, it’s known as a hammered coin and made of silver.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 4th October 2019 at 21:08.

If you can post images of the coin both sides next to a ruler and I’ll try and get an accurate ID for you including mint, it’s medieval so way before 1700’s, previous owner of your house may have been a detectorist and dropped it on his drive, what part of the country do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    WOW, that looks like an Edward groat/half groat of some form, it’s known as a hammered coin and made of silver.
    Good spot!

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/cal...7/Default.aspx

Thanks both.

I live on the South Northants and North Oxfordshire border, close to Brackley. I found the coin on a stoned driveway area, which clearly has been imported from somewhere.

It looks to have a female face on one side of the coin but it's pretty battered.

So the expert I know on another forum who is very accurate thinks it is a Henry VI London mint.

To get more detail a good tip is get some tin foil, fold it over the coin and spit in it, gently rub the surfaces together, you should now smell eggs, that’s the reaction of silver and aluminum making sulphur, this will clean and brighten the high parts of the coin revealing more detail and a better looking coin.

Probably best not to do this on rare coins but normally it’s fine for hammered silver.

Thanks everyone. I’m loathed to rub tin foil on it so will give it a bathe in hot water and fairy liquid and see whether this cleans it up

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Thanks everyone. I’m loathed to rub tin foil on it so will give it a bathe in hot water and fairy liquid and see whether this cleans it up
    The point of tin foil is it cleans up the high points and keeps the patina in the low areas, many detectorists use this method, if it does come up with a lot more detail post them up and the expert will give you an accurate ID.

Spit and foil video..

[CODE][https://youtu.be/cy2ixCUm7hE/CODE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    On this coin in the link you can see on the bust side it says EDWARD, the OP’s might say HENRIC which will make it a Henry.

Cleaned up should reveal the king.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    So the expert I know on another forum who is very accurate thinks it is a Henry VI London mint.

To get more detail a good tip is get some tin foil, fold it over the coin and spit in it, gently rub the surfaces together, you should now smell eggs, that’s the reaction of silver and aluminum making sulphur, this will clean and brighten the high parts of the coin revealing more detail and a better looking coin.

Probably best not to do this on rare coins but normally it’s fine for hammered silver.

That sounds like alchemy! Purpose of aluminium is to convert silver sulphide (the black tarnishing) to hydrogen sulphide (the smelly gas).

Can also use baking soda and aluminium, videos on YouTube.

Tinfoil clean complete, although didn’t experience and sulphur smell or heat but it’s more legible.

Can read “Brutus” now

Master
    Blog Entries
    That'll be Roman then I guess?

Aarrgghh!! No fairy liquid!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Tinfoil clean complete, although didn’t experience and sulphur smell or heat but it’s more legible.

Can read “Brutus” now

Strange you didn’t get the eggy smell? Anyway it’s the bust side I need to see cleaned up, look for EDWARD OR HENRIC and we’ll be a bit closer to an accurate ID, here is a Henry VI half groat.

Last edited by murkeywaters; 5th October 2019 at 23:42.

Taken me a while to get around to taking a photo and finding a favourable light to show the limited detail on this side of the coin - hopefully this helps. Looking at the crown it's different from the one above.

The crown looks like the Edward groat as suggested previously

I also think that the three letters between 10 and 12 o’clock look like the ARD of EDWARD in the specimen picture above.

Just my opinion, not an expert but find this stuff in interesting, so thanks for posting.
    Last edited by alfat33; 9th October 2019 at 16:32.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The crown looks like the Edward groat as suggested previously

I also think that the three letters between 10 and 12 o’clock look like the ARD of EDWARD in the specimen picture above.

Just my opinion, not an expert but find this stuff in interesting, so thanks for posting.
    Thank you. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I've got a metal detector arriving to see what else I can find - anything of interest I'll post here.

In the meantime I'm looking for a little display case to put the coin in to stick it on the wall.