closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A morning in Knightsbridge trying on watches (with pics)

Master

A morning in Knightsbridge trying on watches (with pics)

Took a stroll this morning to try a few watches in Harrods, the Rolex boutique and WoS. Thought I’d share some pics and thoughts :)

I’ve been waiting for a 114060 to come in for me (expected soon) but have been having second thoughts given the chunky lugs and how much I like my BB58.

So, I thought I’d try some alternatives - 36mm DJs, a Reverso and the 38mm AT.

I was surprised how nice the DJ felt, having been apprehensive about the size. I have smallish wrists, but my others are 38-40. I think the oyster bracelet works better than the jubilee personally, and a smooth bezel is better for casual. I tried to find 36mm or 39mm OPs but no-one had them! It has spread to standard OPs now?!

The Reverso was a total hit for me. I tried the duo face, which is a little larger than the standard one (I think). I really liked it... Classic.

I wasn’t overly sold on the AT but it is a lovely watch and grows on me each time I see it. The horizontal dial is striking, and the movement looks good in the display back. So pricey at full RRP now, with the price rise.

Here are the results:

43198C7B-5EA8-4FB6-AA97-7E9701D58D80 by Berty234, on Flickr

C6000EA9-8D75-4858-A149-FE2F72F0F02C by Berty234, on Flickr

14F41421-DD25-478B-8F5F-CCCB0EC56239 by Berty234, on Flickr

2F684FF5-AE22-4CF4-989D-990B3131C393 by Berty234, on Flickr

0E3E7A7E-7A2A-4D62-8F3A-0CCA140B088D by Berty234, on Flickr

My 58 almost felt chunky in comparison, although it really isn’t.

I might have to put a WTB up for a Reverso after this trip...!

Cheers, Berty.
    Last edited by Berty234; 4th October 2019 at 14:22.

Master
    The Reverso looks great. From not seeing the point of them a few months ago, they have really grown on me after seeing owners' pics on TZ.

I like a smaller watch but for me the Reverso simply looks like a ladies watch in both style and size. The silver dial OP is a winner but I'm not keen on any of the others.

How much they wanted for the AT?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    How much they wanted for the AT?
    They’re now £4610 full price!

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    That’s a total joke. Reverso duo is a classic you wont regret, or get bored of

Even the single dial Reverso is great - and truer to the original 1930s design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Was the Reverso new? Looks to me to have a big mark on lhs of the case, do fancy one myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Was the Reverso new? Looks to me to have a big mark on lhs of the case, do fancy one myself.
    It was new - good point though! Maybe sticker marks.

Master
    AT looks good, although I think a lighter dial looks better, likewise the DJ with smooth bezel.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of that lot I'd stick with the 58.

Reverso is stunning , what model and how much ?

Thats steep ! Omega keep tweaking the Aqua terra every few years a, few of the 41mm have sold recently on the s/c for £1800ish.

How does the Aqua terra wear compared to the datejust?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Reverso is stunning , what model and how much ?

Thats steep ! Omega keep tweaking the Aqua terra every few years a, few of the 41mm have sold recently on the s/c for £1800ish.

How does the Aqua terra wear compared to the datejust?
    The Reverso was the large duo face, I think RRP is in the £7ks. If going new, I’d probably go for the normal single face large one, which has basically the same face as that.

AT wears larger but still fairly small.

Craftsman
    Which Rolex was more expensive? The jubilee bracelet or the oyster? What was the price for the blue DJ?

Craftsman

A morning in Knightsbridge trying on watches (with pics)

I agree the oyster does seem to wear a bit better than the jubilee.

Still prefer the blue 126200 on a jubilee though, that’s a splendid watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Which Rolex was more expensive? The jubilee bracelet or the oyster? What was the price for the blue DJ?
    Jubilee is £50 more, £5350 for the one in the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Lovin that Tudor. Really tempted by one at the moment

I tried on the single dial large Reverso recently and a 39mm oyster perpetual.

Really liked the size on both the watches , and I just thought Reverso looked stunning, the dial, blue hands .

I recently got burgled and was going to replace my Milguass but have decided to go with a Reverso and a 39mm OP instead and pay the extra.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I tried on the single dial large Reverso recently and a 39mm oyster perpetual.

Really liked the size on both the watches , and I just thought Reverso looked stunning, the dial, blue hands .

I recently got burgled and was going to replace my Milguass but have decided to go with a Reverso and a 39mm OP instead and pay the extra.
    Sorry to hear about the burglary.

You’d be forming a nice duo with those two. The Reverso is sticking in my mind...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like the blue DJ but hate the cyclops. 36 or 39mm OP in blue would be ace.

JLC always look better in pics than in person, I find them too small.

Sonoma b.. they are trying it on aren’t they.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I really like the Reverso, may be a next purchase but in the medium size. How did you find the reverse dial?

In pics the Reverso does look bigger , the medium was tiny but the large is a really nice size . Weirdly it looks huge in the pics and for my small writs I thought medium would have been perfect.

Incidentally the 39mm OP wears very big, much bigger than I would have thought .

Craftsman
    Hi Rob,

So I have the smaller reverso, from here. From my perspective it’s a dress watch and should be small - when I tried them on in boutiques they’d always give me the biggest models and they’d feel ridiculous. This is the smallest and I love it. However, already noticed one mark and barely work it, so needs to be babied!!

I traded a watch for this 38mm AT at the start of the year. It’s the annual calendar which gives it a bit more thickness and heft. It’s a funny one, simultaneously the watch I wear the most (because it ticks all the boxes!) but also the one I feel closest to trading as feels it’s a touch too thick - but your normal AT is thinner. Also the blue dial and detail are to die for and can’t be captured with my photography. It really is a phenomenal movement and quality. This was what I was wondering selling vs your zenith!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Hi Rob,

So I have the smaller reverso, from here. From my perspective it’s a dress watch and should be small - when I tried them on in boutiques they’d always give me the biggest models and they’d feel ridiculous. This is the smallest and I love it. However, already noticed one mark and barely work it, so needs to be babied!!

I traded a watch for this 38mm AT at the start of the year. It’s the annual calendar which gives it a bit more thickness and heft. It’s a funny one, simultaneously the watch I wear the most (because it ticks all the boxes!) but also the one I feel closest to trading as feels it’s a touch too thick - but your normal AT is thinner. Also the blue dial and detail are to die for and can’t be captured with my photography. It really is a phenomenal movement and quality. This was what I was wondering selling vs your zenith!

Hi mate, oh yes that Reverso looks nice. I know what you mean about them pushing the bigger models.

I think that annual calendar AT is lovely, but thickness can be a killer if you feel it. Would be a tough one to let go....

I tried the single face large model Reverso, which is a bit smaller, today and it wore better than the duo face. Maybe I need to try the medium too.

C9774D9E-6782-4D34-9F2A-1543586ADA6E by Berty234, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    Still prefer the blue 126200 on a jubilee though, that’s a splendid watch.
    I agree. I tried that exact combo on recently and it blue me away ;-). I was convinced that the silver dial was the one but in the flesh, the blue is so striking there's no competition.

I also tried a white dial OP36 on and was very underwhelmed. It was very bland and the double battons don't really work. I've lusted after that model in pictures but it just goes to show that you can feel very differently about a watch when you try it on in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I agree. I tried that exact combo on recently and it blue me away ;-).
    Initially I red that wrong. I’ll pink the AD and orange a visit to see it in the flesh.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.