closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REVIEW: Vacheron Constantin Overseas Automatic 4500V

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Completely agree, this should happen more!

Great review Martyn, VC should sponsor - I feel a new obsession coming along.

Can I ask about the availability and if this is at/above/below list in reality (regardless it’s definitely beyond my budget!).

Also, how robust is it, can it withstand a bump or two or will it mark soon as look at it?
    The blue is a little difficult to get hold of. I was told at the Bond St boutique they sold their last 2 allocations were not expecting more this year. The silver was in stock when I looked. Wempe is also approved seller so if you looking for one -maybe ask around. New I think the blue will be difficult to get below list. I bought one second hand just still within the 2 year warranty but with all bits and cards - below list. They others could probably be negotiated at an AD from new.

It cleverly has a soft iron casing ring forming a faraday cage to protect from magnetic fields even though it has a display back

Screw down crown and case back and crystal with water resistant to 150m (some literature say it has been tested to 15bar)

I have read it is a more robust movement (than the ultra-thin Cal 1120) being larger and thicker - designed to take a knock or two - but like any mechanical watch I'd avoid dropping it on a concrete floor.

Martyn

This will be my exit purchase next year. Superb watch. I prefer it on the bracelet only because for me the bracelet maketh that watch - it's superbly detailed and yet masculine looking at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lovely photos of a stunning watch.

Before I stumbled across this forum and started to appreciate watch brands that I’d previously never even heard of, I would have been one of those who thought it looked nice but had no real idea what it was and the history behind it. Like many others have said, that understatement is why I now desperately want one! It’s not going to happen anytime soon though, so thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I can’t quite put my finger on why, but the VC Overseas really does it for me over and above any of the other similar style watches from Patek, AP and the like.
    I think it’s because it’s the less ‘mainstream’ manufacturer, and to me adds that little something special.
    And the fact that it’s bloody gorgeous. I love the finish on the movement.

Craftsman
    I've got one and it's a great watch
    The one thing i would say the polished bezel does scratch easily

Master
    Great write up and education on a watch I have been looking at from a far. Based on this I want to take a closer look.

Any idea what sort of price the blue dial go for used?

Craftsman
    Thanks for the write up Martyn....Perfect timing for me. Quite simply a stunning watch.

I have been hankering after the Chrono version of this, which I have seen in the flesh (with the blue face) and absolutely fell in love with at first sight, which is something that I cannot say about any other watch. The blue of the dial is almost impossible to photograph and has to be seen for real to appreciate. It has a 3D quality.

As Martyn says, the automatic is v. difficult to get hold of in blue, as is the blue faced Chrono (from Authorised Retailer). I have been popping in to the Bond Street shop quite regularly in the hopes of seeing the Automatic to try and decide which I prefer more. I am also now looking at the Dual Time Overseas - particularly because it is even more under the radar than the other two. The bottom line is the bottom line.....To splash out this kind of money I am going to have to be damned sure that I LOVE the Overseas that I go for as this may well be my last watch purchase!!

Craftsman
    There is a blue one on Ebay at the moment £12.5k or best offer
    Seller from Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    There is a blue one on Ebay at the moment £12.5k or best offer
    Seller from Scotland
    Can be had BNIB for around that price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Can be had BNIB for around that price
    What do you reckon is a realistic 2nd hand price ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    What do you reckon is a realistic 2nd hand price ?

Maybe £12k. That BNIB of £12.5k is only because the dealer in question is absolutely blasting that deal, other dealers will be max 20% off RRP of £17.5k

Craftsman
    Do you think this model is more in demand than the previous Overseas versions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Maybe £12k. That BNIB of £12.5k is only because the dealer in question is absolutely blasting that deal, other dealers will be max 20% off RRP of £17.5k
    RRP Now £18,100 - keep up!

For what its worth I didn't quite get 20% off - but saved a little over £3K off retail but not new. I'm happy though as one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Martyn.

Journeyman
    Nice looking watch! Congrats

Well this was an expensive read....

I had that one off eBay and made a good deal with them. Expect an incoming in a week or so :)

Cheers

James

Blog Entries
    Thought I’d bounce this as there’s been some interest in VC recently. Hope that’s ok?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thought I’d bounce this as there’s been some interest in VC recently. Hope that’s ok?
    Fine by me... been lusting after a VC for too long!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Discovered the micro adjustment today on the bracelet after getting an extra link added, AD never pointed it out, had to find it on YouTube, lovely touch!

Love this. If it was 39mm rather than 41mm I'm pretty sure I'd have one by now. Fear it might wear too big though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m loving this recently. Got to try the gmt version and these are as lovely as they look. That one is the same as this date only but I found at 41 due to the short lug design is wore like a 40-41 not larger. Unlike say a RO where the 41 wears a lot bigger. That said it’s not a small watch, but not huge either

The 4500v blue could be next on my hit list!

Master
    The second VC thread revival in a week... This one from only six months ago though, the other one was from a year ago!

Maybe we can find some even older ones to revive, is it a thing now? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I’m loving this recently. Got to try the gmt version and these are as lovely as they look. That one is the same as this date only but I found at 41 due to the short lug design is wore like a 40-41 not larger. Unlike say a RO where the 41 wears a lot bigger. That said it’s not a small watch, but not huge either

The 4500v blue could be next on my hit list!
    I'll hang fire then!

Craftsman
    Very nice watch but at 20k, it's pretty expensive for a steel only watch. The RRP of the aquanaut and royal oak are much less

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Good review, thanks for that. Never knew VC did quick-release straps!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    Good review, thanks for that. Never knew VC did quick-release straps!
    I own one. Its a great watch, my only gripe is the micro adjustment undoes itself at times when you flex your wrist at certain angles. During the day I find I have to keep readjusting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    Very nice watch but at 20k, it's pretty expensive for a steel only watch. The RRP of the aquanaut and royal oak are much less

And how much are they second hand compared to the VC?

Craftsman
    I know, the only reason that is my complaint is because this is about 7k out of my price range.

Craftsman
    I think i need to try on the day date Vacheron as at 40mm is equal to my smallest watch. I have an 8” wrist and like 40-45mm but if it wears small it may no be for me. Lovely looking thing ( the Oversees)) and is on my radar for this year along with one or two others.

Craftsman
    It wears quite large on the bracelet, but not so large on the leather that it can't be a modern dress watch replacement. Perfect in every way for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    I know, the only reason that is my complaint is because this is about 7k out of my price range.

£17,400 RRP but you can get a discount as well. Equivalent AP RO 15500 or PP Aquanaut are more expensive or unobtainable new without going grey

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    £17,400 RRP but you can get a discount as well. Equivalent AP RO 15500 or PP Aquanaut are more expensive or unobtainable new without going grey

Curiousity what sort of discount can you get? I'll going to a VC shop next week and would be nterested to know. Martyn's pics are stunning.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Things are changing on these for sure. Discounts are zero at boutique and stock is low at ads right now with waits. Seems demand has increased a lot, not surprising and good to see. Seems to be the case worldwide too

Also the crazy deals on chrono24 of 12k are long gone.

Master
    Things are changing on these for sure. Discounts are zero at boutique and stock is low at ads right now with waits. Seems demand has increased a lot, not surprising and good to see. Seems to be the case worldwide too

Doesn’t surprise me at all especially as you can’t really buy any Rolex or Patek steel. I’m in St Maarten soon and it was more out of curiosity really.

Craftsman
    I got 8%, but that was also bearing in mind the drop from £18,100 to £17,400 a couple of weeks earlier.

Boutiques won’t do anything, no need to, so I would try a VC AD in the first instance, especially if you have an existing relationship

Craftsman
    Does watches of switzerland in Heathrow stock these?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very much doubt it, they won’t have overseas even if they did. There is literally not a lot of stock out there, manager of selfridges tells me they can’t get enough and have waitlists now.

Craftsman
    Just tried a gold one on in selfridges. Very nice watch but really need to see a blue one to see if i can actually bond with it. They said if i paid in full now, they can get me one in 3 weeks

The VC eats that PP for breakfast

Craftsman

I've been speaking to a grey dealer and they basically said the same thing. Stock from ADs (even from Europe) is very low and there is wait list. I was enquiring about another Overseas but same principle will apply to this.