closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: Vacheron Constantin Overseas Automatic 4500V

Blog Entries

REVIEW: Vacheron Constantin Overseas Automatic 4500V

Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V/110A-B128

I picked this VC up after a visit to Wempe and the VC boutique in London recently. I actually was looking at the chronograph version but after considering my finances decided I would look at the simpler three handed version. I am pleased I did as I do prefer this to the chronograph version for a few reasons. More on that later. I know how you guys like photographs so I pulled out my DSLR and light box and took a couple of pictures for this write up some of these will be shown below. But first -

Specifications

• Supplied with steel bracelet and two straps - the metallic bracelet is superbly made with a design inspired by the signature of VC with alternate surfaces brushed and polished; one rubber strap and one blue Mississippi alligator strap (lined) both of which can be quickly swapped onto the watch head and also onto the single deployant clasp itself;
    • 18K white gold applied baton markers each illuminated
    • Double tracks around the dial one - minutes and seconds.
    • Date window at 3 o'clock
    • Blue (sunburst) in the centre and blue velvet-finish flange
    • Movement - Calibre 5100 - geneve seal, developed and manufactured by VC, 28,800 vph, 60h pwr, twin barrels to ensure consistent torque delivery.
    • Screw down case back
    • 22K gold (hand-crafted) oscillating weight
    • geneva seal case

I invite the reader to take a look at the following short history of the Overseas from here: https://monochrome-watches.com/vache...v-review-price

Thoughts
    In a word - simplicity. That is the main reason for now preferring this model compared to the chronograph. The saying, 'Less is More' applies . I had to sacrifice two watches to purchase this one. And I am happy with my decision. The only watch that compared to the VC that I have owned is the Patek Aquanaut. Unfortunately my budget does not stretch to owning both but I do still have pictures

Comparisons of the Aquanaut and the Overseas:

Strangely I think the Overseas is more comparable to a Rolex Submariner or Omega Planet Seamaster being suitably rugged and designed to be worn, I did wear the Aquanaut but just felt it a little slim and somewhat delicate (though I believe it's possible to wear with impunity if you wanted). The Overseas with its multiple strap options it can be dressed up or down - be worn in the sea or to a concert. Also and importantly, it does not get noticed unlike a Rolex or Patek. It is a watch connoisseurs watch. It may pass for a $200 watch for those unknowing (which means it won't get ripped off your wrist). But look carefully and you will see the attention to detail and the expert finishing that makes this a double geneve seal finished watch what it is.

The three variations in one are:

on wrist:

I guess you guys want some more pictures:

The bracelet can be seen here:
    [

The sublime movement:

Detail - each screw is hand blackened and chamfered

Dial shot - difficult to capture the 'blueness' but I had a go. Included is the seal and passport of the watch. Notice the Maltese-Cross emblem is echoed in the case front as shown on the insignia above the brand name (The Maltese-Cross is a heraldic cross variant which developed from earlier forms of eight-pointed crosses in the 16th century. Chiefly associated with the Knights Hospitaller (Order of St. John)...

One for your wallpaper?

Thanks for reading. AE&O accepted. Comments welcome!

Martyn..

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th December 2019 at 21:36.

Craftsman
    Simply stunning. Nice write up as well.

Craftsman
    That is stunning. The one thing I would change perhaps is to have the date window at 6 o'clock. The text/logo/date window are all in the upper half, making the face look a bit unbalanced in my opinion. Wear in good health!

Love it on the croc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for sharing Martyn. Completes your collection nicely there :)

Master
    Excellent choice. Superb manufacturer and watch, I love the fact it is "under the radar", as you say a connoisseurs watch, if you know you know. I have looked at these myself on and off over the last couple fo years and I have to say I think the bracelet is superb, after seeing your picture I think I actually prefer in on the leather, and the rubber is not to shabby either.

Enjoy!!

Master
    Congrats, Martyn. It’s such an exquisite, versatile watch. I’m sure that you’ll enjoy this one for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great review and shots Martyn!!!

Good review of a lovely watch. The quick change strap system is a neat idea. My only concern when I looked at it was that the ease and simplicity of changing straps, with the small central attachment point, may be a weakness from a robustness point of view.

Craftsman
    Great shots, Congrats.

Initial thought was the notch in the bezel was caused by reflections, until I realized it's designed that way.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That’s magnificent

Craftsman
    Good write up. Very desirable watch too. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Good review of a lovely watch. The quick change strap system is a neat idea. My only concern when I looked at it was that the ease and simplicity of changing straps, with the small central attachment point, may be a weakness from a robustness point of view.
    I am comfortable with the mechanism’s joint, it is a simple asymmetrical connection point. It is thicker than a pin holding a bracelet together. I’ll try and get some pictures of it if interested?

Master
    interesting. Not sure on that castellated bezel, but hey, my opinion shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of your lovely new watch.

Craftsman
    As before, a great write up. Stunning watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking the time to review, and for the lovely photos (including the 5167!). I also prefer the simplicity of the 3 hander too over the chrono, I think you made the right choice.

Many positives for me, including heritage, beautiful movement, different from the norm, and the variety of straps. Negatives for me are the bezel (it draws my eyes every time and not in a good way - but maybe not as bad in reality) and the rubber strap looks like the poor relation.

I applaud you going for something different from the norm. I hope you enjoy it.

Craftsman
    On bracelet and leather it is lovely. Rubber not so much.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I am comfortable with the mechanism’s joint, it is a simple asymmetrical connection point. It is thicker than a pin holding a bracelet together. I’ll try and get some pictures of it if interested?
    I have tried one on a couple of times and seen how quick and easy changing the straps is.👍

I meant to mention about some pics in my previous post, as it would help illustrate to those that haven’t seen how it’s done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Must say it looks fab on that croc strap!

In London soon. Might go for a nose at VC

Nice review and photos, thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    Beautiful watch and, like you, I’m almost drawn to it more because it’s slightly more under the radar than other brands.

Out of curiosity what are the dimensions?

I think a pretty good watch - but VC overall I have a problem with. The Maltese Cross I just cannot get along with for various reasons. Shame really as I’m probably missing out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Beautiful watch and, like you, I’m almost drawn to it more because it’s slightly more under the radar than other brands.

Out of curiosity what are the dimensions?
    41mm diameter. Will get the callipers out tomorrow!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and as you says flies under the radar

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

What a great watch, and fantastic pics and write up.
    If I had the money, I would take the VC over the Patek any day.
    Thanks for sharing.

Think you might the right decision going for the 3 hander over the chrono. Would also much rather have the VC over the Patek

I really wish I hadn’t read this because now I want one, thanks for another excellent review Martyn.

Master
    Thanks for taking the effort to take such awesome photos. Beautiful watch.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think a pretty good watch - but VC overall I have a problem with. The Maltese Cross I just cannot get along with for various reasons. Shame really as I’m probably missing out.
    This is an issue for me too. Respect the brand tremendously of course but it’s a detail I can’t reconcile

Love this watch and the bracelet is magnificent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It's the opposite for me because I like the understated look of it. I think the cross looks classy and those in the know, know. Some of us have different tastes which is good, otherwise we would all be wearing the same thing.

The VC is out of my price range but if I had that money to spend on a watch this would be the one.
    I can't help compare it to the Zenith Defy which on it's own looks stunning, I was very tempted by the one on SC, but even that pales when compared with the Overseas.

I was just looking on Wikipedia at the list of uses, ancient and modern, for the Maltese Cross. It seems to have led, on balance, a virtuous life.

Master
    You are - the logo was actually based on a part found in one of their movements long ago, it just happens to resemble a Maltese Cross.

Congrats OP on a beautiful watch. If they made a mid-size, I’d join you (in case VC are reading, 38.5mm, stainless steel and thin, please).

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I was just looking on Wikipedia at the list of uses, ancient and modern, for the Maltese Cross. It seems to have led, on balance, a virtuous life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    You are - the logo was actually based on a part found in one of their movements long ago, it just happens to resemble a Maltese Cross.

Congrats OP on a beautiful watch. If they made a mid-size, I’d join you (in case VC are reading, 38.5mm, stainless steel and thin, please).
    Indeed the logo was based on a part, but it also helped that it shared with a known symbol such as the Maltese Cross. Der Amf is correct in nothing very wrong in the history of the cross specifically, I'm just not very keen on my watches carrying religious symbology. Maybe not too rational, but things verily are!

Master
    That’s a great write up and very informative for someone who didn’t know much about VC. It has definitely poked my interest into looking at them in flesh !

Loved the review Martyn. Would be interested to see pictures of the quick change strap mechanism.
    Enjoy the watch it is truly a stunner and simply stunning too

Nice review. I love my overseas!

One thing you forgot to mention, I think, is the bracelet micro adjust that I find so useful. There are 2 mms either side of the bracelet clasp that can be adjusted on the fly- like Rolex glidelock but without the hefty bracelet clasp. Helps get a perfect size, which is something sorely lacking from the Royal Oak, 5711 etc

Stunning watch Martin, many congratulations! With that budget I honestly think VC would be the brand I looked at first.

Blog Entries
    Indeed the logo was based on a part, but it also helped that it shared with a known symbol such as the Maltese Cross. Der Amf is correct in nothing very wrong in the history of the cross specifically, I'm just not very keen on my watches carrying religious symbology. Maybe not too rational, but things verily are!
    You could say similar for Patek Philippe's trade mark, the Calatrava Cross - that has it's origins in religious symbology (or military religious)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Loved the review Martyn. Would be interested to see pictures of the quick change strap mechanism.
    Enjoy the watch it is truly a stunner and simply stunning too

Some photos which should show the way it goes - to connect is a simple push down on the clasp case bar, to disconnect is to push with finger nail to release.

quick adjust on the bracelet:

and attachment of clasp to bracelet - last pick shows the final position rotated by 180 degrees to secure the fitting:

Now I need to check that bracelet - it was a hair or something not a scratch!

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th October 2019 at 21:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great review and magnificent pictures. Love it on the croc strap.

Journeyman
    Amazing watch the colour of the dial is really something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You could say similar for Patek Philippe's trade mark, the Calatrava Cross - that has it's origins in religious symbology (or military religious)
    I have a problem with Patek too ;)

In fact as you correctly say, they're more steeped in the religious, would take VC over PP.

Anyway, great up close pics showing the mechanism Martyn - one of the best designed systems and importantly, the micro adjust is not bulky like on some others, that is very good!

Master
    Absolutely stunning. The strap changing mechanism is also superb on these. Great choice!

Smile

Pretty much my perfect watch.

A couple of things to add are the 150m water resistance, and the decent anti-magnetic properties (achieved in spite of the display back).

A G-Shock it ain’t, but it still offers all that fine finishing without compromising on toughness, which I respect.

Vacheron are to be lauded for including the three bracelet/leather/rubber options, with quick-change capability & hidden ‘no tools required’ micro-adjust clasp - it’s almost like someone sat down and thought about what customers really want to make a watch easier to live with day-to-day. I don’t think many brands do as much of that as they really should.

All that, and a design that’s both pleasingly distinctive and with historical pedigree.

Excellent watch, excellent pics & excellent write-up.

Lovely watch and a great write up and pictures.
    Looks best on bracelet IMO but great to have options and the facility to do a quick change up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a watch I desperately want to like, but I think the case and bracelet is far too fussy and I'm not keen on the semi lozenge lugs.

Great piece and photography though.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’ve been following these for a while.

A great watch, prefect combination of straps and it’s a nice refreshing change how understated they are - only the keen eyed collector will recognise one in the wild

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Vacheron are to be lauded for including the three bracelet/leather/rubber options, with quick-change capability & hidden ‘no tools required’ micro-adjust clasp - it’s almost like someone sat down and thought about what customers really want to make a watch easier to live with day-to-day.
    Completely agree, this should happen more!

Great review Martyn, VC should sponsor - I feel a new obsession coming along.

Can I ask about the availability and if this is at/above/below list in reality (regardless it’s definitely beyond my budget!).

Also, how robust is it, can it withstand a bump or two or will it mark soon as look at it?

Greta watch and review. Congrats.