closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jeyes fluid

Master

Jeyes fluid

A while back on here, I bigged up Jeyes as a very effective way of removing moss and slimy gunk from patios and tarmac.

Over the years that I've used it, the formulation has changed but it's been the same when used. The most recent can I bought wasn't even black any more but rather a light green colour.

Anyway, I spent some time a couple of weeks ago doing a pre-winter spray round (to the usual dilution). I've just noticed it's done absolutely nothing. The old stuff sprayed on (20ml/litre of water) would turn moss brown and dead in 3-4 days.

Does anyone know if trying a greater concentration will be effective - and is it safe for tarmac? Not bothered about discolouration but I am sure I was once told that it could "melt" tarmac if used too concentrated.

Any advice please - before my path is just green moss.

Master
    Elf ‘ safety has effectively watered down the active ingredients as with many products, rendering them less effective. Use a pressure washer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Elf ‘ safety has effectively watered down the active ingredients as with many products, rendering them less effective. Use a pressure washer.
    Did wonder! If I use a pressure washer on my tarmac, I won't have any tarmac left!!

Master
    Armillatox used to be my go to ..............but you can't get that now

Sodium chlorate used to be my other go to .............but you cant get that now.

I use a mix of pathclear, Roseate and bleach on hard surfaces - with a follow up of salt.

Fairy liquid and water on the lawn for the moss.

I dont jet wash the tarmac or use a degreaser on it - it breaks it up as you say.

B

Master
    Thought I would email the manufacturers and ask!

Response:

"Jeyes Fluid has not been suitable for killing Moss since 2003. At the end of 2017 again new regulations came into force which has effected the colour and smell of Jeyes Fluid, however the new regulations have only effected the colour and smell and not its effectiveness."

That's nonsense! it doesn't do what it did previously, so not just change of colour and smell!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Did wonder! If I use a pressure washer on my tarmac, I won't have any tarmac left!!
    What is your tarmac made from? Marzipan?!

MMC Pro Moss Killer from agrigem website.

Stock up before they ban it lol.

You can get patio / drive scrubber type tool that fits onto pressure washer lance if your pressure washer can fit them.

I wouldn't worry about pressure washer damage with a small electric one on hard floor because they are not all that powerful.

You can do a test patch first to see what happens to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    What is your tarmac made from? Marzipan?!
    That would be totally nuts
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That would be totally nuts
    Good one

Ta macadam-ia

Sorry

Vinegar is good for killing moss but you'll end up smelling like a fish and chip shop. Algon is derived from vinegar and does a great job of killing moss.