closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can any builders help?

Master

Can any builders help?

I live above a carport, where our living room is above this port.

There is a massive 'cold spot' where the port is so I'm thinking of insulating underneath.

Would a 'kingspan' type of product be the best to use? if so what's the best way to attach it to the underside? adhesive or screws, or both?

Would you also recommend a final cover of plywood? this way it could be painted white like the original or can you paint certain types of insulation.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Ian

Craftsman
    Sounds expensive governor!
    Who is responsible for the maintenance of the carport ceiling? If it’s you then yes like you said possible to screw a rigid insulation board with a batten for fixing a covering sheet. Ply painted should be ok, might be worth asking building control regarding fire regs but shouldn’t be a problem.
    What room is above it? If you wanted to tackle it from the other side.

Master
    Hi, thanks for that...

Ill get in touch with building control regarding fire regs, something I didn't think of.

Its half of our living room above, I did think about constructing a stud floor and insulating inwetween, and having a raised section, but lots more work.

Yes its my responsibility.

Is there an insulation board with ply attached? or is it not cost effective?

cheers

Master
    Yes, first thought is tackle it from above. There will presumably be some joists that you could insert an insulating material between.

Craftsman
    Can you workout the depth of your joists ceiling height and floor height, although that’s a bit of guess work. If you have carpet in lounge can you pull back and check for fixings in the floor, might be worth cutting a trap in the floor to see what you have. Could be block and beam if it’s of newer construction.

Master
    Ive just done a rough calculation via Travis Perkins and for 75mm insulation and 9mm ply.....£507!!!

We have laminate board down, which is why the colds further exaggerated.

The construction is steel joists and concrete slabs that interlink, its a 1985 property.

Might look at carpeting with a high heat insulation underlay.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    Ive just done a rough calculation via Travis Perkins and for 75mm insulation and 9mm ply.....£507!!!

We have laminate board down, which is why the colds further exaggerated.

The construction is steel joists and concrete slabs that interlink, its a 1985 property.

Might look at carpeting with a high heat insulation underlay.
    My guess was laminate 😂

Try carpet first with an underlay over 3 tog and get some thick socks. Good luck.

Master
    Insulating the floor in the manner you suggest will help, but you will still get cold bridging from the slab, up into the lower part of the inner leaf of the cavity wall. If you are going to disrupt the inside of your house you should at least consider insulating the inner face of the walls at the same time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Insulating the floor in the manner you suggest will help, but you will still get cold bridging from the slab, up into the lower part of the inner leaf of the cavity wall. If you are going to disrupt the inside of your house you should at least consider insulating the inner face of the walls at the same time.
    Yeh I think you are right, insulating the floor would only be part of the problem sorted.

Thanks for your input chaps!

Master
    In light of the construction the two options that appeal are false floor with insulation or put some electric underfloor heating in (e.g. Warmup). Whilst this latter will commit you to ongoing expenditure it may be cheaper for the duration of your time there than major works. If you do do the latter the insulated backing board, whilst quite pricey, will significantly reduce ongoing costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    In light of the construction the two options that appeal are false floor with insulation or put some electric underfloor heating in (e.g. Warmup). Whilst this latter will commit you to ongoing expenditure it may be cheaper for the duration of your time there than major works. If you do do the latter the insulated backing board, whilst quite pricey, will significantly reduce ongoing costs.
    Great idea! thank you for your opinion.