closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 43 of 43

Thread: I know Panerai are going through a rough time but...

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,206

    I know Panerai are going through a rough time but...

    This one is a stonker! Good dimensions to being just over 13mm thick and diameter of 42mm.

    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...na---42mm.html

    Stu

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,705
    I agree; looks lovely.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    287
    Very nice. I didn't realise they were 'having a rough time'?

  4. #4
    That is a looker.

  5. #5
    Agreed. I tried one on last week and absolutely loved it


  6. #6
    Speak to the boutique. We were told the seals need to be checked after 12 months by the factory to keep the two year warranty.

    No power shower as the seal around the glass could not deal with the pressure and could leak = warranty wonít cover it.

    Add to that it is not designed to be Ďused a lot in waterí but they could not say what this usage was.

    All from Berryís in Leeds direct from their boutique.

    All for a 300m water resistant watch.

    Buy a Rolex.

  7. #7
    Craftsman Pupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oundle UK
    Posts
    258
    The Panerai site says 100m.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Agreed. I tried one on last week and absolutely loved it

    That looks great. I bet the dial looks superb without the sticker in the day light.

    TAFKARM - it’s 100m. Also, I don’t want a Rolex.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 2nd October 2019 at 21:01.

  9. #9
    That blue dial is smart


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    291
    Blog Entries
    1
    Looks great!

  11. #11
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,020
    As lovely as that is I just donít think Paneraiís work on a bracelet. A lovely dark brown strap would really show that dial off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    36,710
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Speak to the boutique. We were told the seals need to be checked after 12 months by the factory to keep the two year warranty.

    No power shower as the seal around the glass could not deal with the pressure and could leak = warranty wonít cover it.

    Add to that it is not designed to be Ďused a lot in waterí but they could not say what this usage was.

    All from Berryís in Leeds direct from their boutique.

    All for a 300m water resistant watch.

    Buy a Rolex.
    Berry's in Leeds?

    Lol.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  13. #13
    Very nice.
    And no, Panerai is doing just fine.

  14. #14
    I also saw one in Taipei. It is beautiful and a good rolex alternative. I just wish the 42mm submersible would come on a bracelet!

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    And no, Panerai is doing just fine.
    That's what I thought!?

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    That's what I thought!?
    They are getting a lot of stick for the recent line of watches that are push on case backs and diluting the offering. Also the brand image has slipped a great deal from 5 years ago. You can now get large discounts on their watches. A chap at work has been offered 30% off rrp for a 8k watch.

    This is what I was referring to.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    They are getting a lot of stick for the recent line of watches that are push on case backs and diluting the offering. Also the brand image has slipped a great deal from 5 years ago. You can now get large discounts on their watches. A chap at work has been offered 30% off rrp for a 8k watch.

    This is what I was referring to.
    Every brand has loser critics
    Panerai are selling a lot of watches
    They are not a Ďhotí brand they were when it all started-that is true but that is part of the evolution
    Panerais have almost always been available at a discount
    I bought my first Panerai P24 about 20íyears back at 30% discount.

  18. #18
    There are only a very few watch brands where discounts arenít available .
    I like Panerai, and they seem to be doing ok imho

  19. #19
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,754
    Does Marina translate to Marine, if so 100m WR seems a bit weak whilst using that word, as a design though they are unique and I get why people buy them.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    There are only a very few watch brands where discounts arenít available .
    I like Panerai, and they seem to be doing ok imho
    I'd love a Panerai but I've never managed to get any decent kind of discount offered and I also think used values are pretty strong - maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

    They're also refreshingly different to pretty much everything else.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Cambridge/Monaco
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Very nice. I didn't realise they were 'having a rough time'?
    I used to work with a company that was acquired by the Richemont Group back in the day, and became friendly with a few people who are still there. Trust me, Panerai are doing just fine thank you very much.

    Lovely to see this watch in 42mm - most of their offerings look like an ashtray on my wrist!

    SGR

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Agreed. I tried one on last week and absolutely loved it

    Absolutely stunning! Sucker for a blue dial, and that is a corker. Think it looks pretty good on bracelet, too. For a shade over 7k looks decent value and at 42mm a much more accessible size. I like it a lot!

    Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I used to work with a company that was acquired by the Richemont Group back in the day, and became friendly with a few people who are still there. Trust me, Panerai are doing just fine thank you very much.

    Lovely to see this watch in 42mm - most of their offerings look like an ashtray on my wrist!

    SGR
    That's good to hear.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Warwick
    Posts
    1,304
    This looks like a great watch, I might try one on next time I'm near Selfridges/New Bond Street.

    I used to have a 119 (40mm with blue face on a rubber strap) that I bought a bracelet for and I thought it worked brilliantly, better than on leather IMHO. The heft was great. My son got it for his 18th via a service and case refinish.

    Lovely watches. Glad to see that they're making some nice looking models in more wearable sizes - I like 372/422 but not in 47mm, feels like you're wearing a door knob!

  25. #25
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    3,721
    That is very nice indeed. I love a wire lug Radiomir, but would like to try a bracelet Panerai.

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    514
    Very handsome watch. I would prefer the 40mm version for several reasons:

    40mm more manageable on the wrist; cheaper price; and 300m water resistance.

    However, with Panerai's it is always best to try them on first, as the design does appear to suit the larger case...

  27. #27
    Craftsman ozzyb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Very handsome watch. I would prefer the 40mm version for several reasons:

    40mm more manageable on the wrist; cheaper price; and 300m water resistance.

    However, with Panerai's it is always best to try them on first, as the design does appear to suit the larger case...
    Have you tried a 40mm one on? Iíve always been more worried about thickness than case diameter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Have you tried a 40mm one on? Iíve always been more worried about thickness than case diameter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, 16mm thick!

  29. #29
    Craftsman ozzyb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    481
    Unless itís a rugged G shock, I think Submariner thickness is about as thick as I want

    Not for one moment detracting from the beauty of the Panerai, just frustrating that they donít make one that would fit me :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Unless itís a rugged G shock, I think Submariner thickness is about as thick as I want

    Not for one moment detracting from the beauty of the Panerai, just frustrating that they donít make one that would fit me :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Panerai I posted about initially is 13mm thick 👍

  31. #31
    Craftsman ozzyb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    The Panerai I posted about initially is 13mm thick
    This sort of blows my mind?!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,719
    This is a space that needs watching!

    As we tire of the double retail no stock reality of Rolex & Patek the underdogs steadily progress, they will arguably never be that Rolex / Patek marketed level but they have always ha character, they have had a rough patch bt they are starting to come out of the shadows an impress

    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec..._eComm_ENUK-NA
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  33. #33
    Craftsman ozzyb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    This is a space that needs watching!

    As we tire of the double retail no stock reality of Rolex & Patek the underdogs steadily progress, they will arguably never be that Rolex / Patek marketed level but they have always ha character, they have had a rough patch bt they are starting to come out of the shadows an impress

    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec..._eComm_ENUK-NA
    Anyone tried the 38mm on for size?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    ealing
    Posts
    568
    Blimey , thatís lovely

  35. #35
    Master Matt London's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    1,075
    100m rating is the only thing putting me off buying this!

    I too would like a submersible with a bracelet.

    I do remember reading a few reports on here that the previous bracelets were uncomfortable/hair pullers. How do these newer one's fair?

  36. #36
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    222
    I didnít try the model with new bracelet but have heard that the bracelet have no micro adjustments which is pretty disappointing if your wrist size is in between

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    638

    Alternatives

    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    This is a space that needs watching!

    As we tire of the double retail no stock reality of Rolex & Patek the underdogs steadily progress, they will arguably never be that Rolex / Patek marketed level but they have always ha character, they have had a rough patch bt they are starting to come out of the shadows an impress

    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec..._eComm_ENUK-NA

    Would wholeheartedly agree with you here. There will be a point, if we are not already passed it that the double retail no stock Patek and Rolex will just become a side show for most buyers and distinctive alternatives which stand alone from the crowd will start to get some of the limelight.

    The problem we currently have is the buying market obsessing on value retention and profit , that has been to the detriment to the alternatives competition to Rolex dominance, Patek I feel is at another level, this has had a knock effect on Secondary market values of the Alternatives as the dealers know they can shift Rolex/Patek easily but maybe not so with a Panerai, Vacheron etc.and trade in prices or straight sales to the trade are off the cliff, Panerai 289 RRP £20k trade in price £7-8k or 311 rrp £15.5 trade in 6k.

    A number of years ago value retention or making gains was a faint consideration when buying a watch, you bought it because you liked the look of it, the market was varied with no one dominating player but fast forward and everyone with an instagram page needs a Rolex and a badged car wheel to post a wrist shot.

  38. #38
    Love them , hopefully my controversial 753 with be here at the end of the month to go with my 372 then I am Pam content

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Love them , hopefully my controversial 753 with be here at the end of the month to go with my 372 then I am Pam content
    Hi Peter - what makes the 753 controversial? Only a 100m versus 300m (I'm assuming snap and not screwed back)?

    I agree with a potential renaissance over the coming year or two as people turn their attention to something other than R and PP. But I'm not sold on the newer collections - seem to be some short cuts in both movement quality and things like WR.

    I still think the older pieces are nicer - I'd love to add to my 111 and 190, but for now I maintain a holding pattern....

  40. #40
    Snap back and we of 100m will put some off. I never go in the water with my Pam and the case back sits against my wrist so not really an issue. Had the 111 and 024 and loved them both but out of my range. The 753 in-house is a nice touch though

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Snap back and we of 100m will put some off. I never go in the water with my Pam and the case back sits against my wrist so not really an issue. Had the 111 and 024 and loved them both but out of my range. The 753 in-house is a nice touch though
    Pretty standard now those things in a Panerai - but maybe makes things more accessible. Though I have to admit, not sure if the newer in-house is a nice touch or not - how do these newer 6000 series (i think) compare to the older 3000? I gather more PR, but aesthetically a step back (though all covered, so maybe not an important thing).

  42. #42

    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Absolutely stunning! Sucker for a blue dial, and that is a corker. Think it looks pretty good on bracelet, too. For a shade over 7k looks decent value and at 42mm a much more accessible size. I like it a lot!

    Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    And for only another £100 it comes in a 44mm size too if you prefer your Panerai a little bigger...

  43. #43
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11

    Marmite

    I think you either love or hate the panerai shape. I walked past the stand in duty free..... it just didnít grab me but they did not have the blue dial.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information