closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any wood/log burners here

Any wood/log burners here

A slightly random question I know, but given autumn will soon be upon us here goes.

This spring we had someone in to cut back a few willows at the bottom of our garden which were starting to get out of hand. I opted to retain the resulting logs and they have been sat stacked in the garden over the summer where they have dried out nicely.

However circumstances have changed and I am now in the situation where I could do with getting rid of them. My first thought was to simply advertise them locally. Before I do that I would like to ascertain if they have any monetary value, and if so roughly how much.

There are two stacks, one with 50+ logs approx 80 - 100 cm long and 15 - 20 cm in diameter the other with 30+ logs 50 - 80 cm long and 15 - 25 cm in diameter.

Can anyone here give me an indication as to what sort of price I should ask for them on a collection only basis?

Have a look on eBay (or similar) for prices. Probably range from 50p-£1 per kilo depending on amount (if they really are 'seasoned').

Edit:- And those are usually split and ready for burning!

Craftsman
    I would say they are worth very little given that; they are probably not dry enough to burn cleanly, the buyer has to collect them and then split them, some of them are too long for most people's log burners.

It's the sort of thing that you would give away or just ask for a bit of cash for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As a measure, I pay £60 for a tractor drop box full of logs, delivered and stacked inside the house, all dry and ready to burn, and at the right size. About half a tonne.

Scary bit is they last 3 weeks in winter...

Master
    That time of year is not far away, the one with many loud bangs etc
    Why not donate them to the local bonfire if you have one, or just have a massive man fire!!

Perhaps you could dig a big hole and bury them as a mini carbon sink? Every little helps!

Blog Entries
    30 quid.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    They are probably worthless. Willow is a poor fire wood & any wood needs to season for at least a year before it's dry enough so wood cut this spring is still far too wet to burn this winter.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want them collected, I'd say offer them for free.

As others have said, they have no value, they’re not seasoned enough to use, and need significant effort to turn them into burnable logs. Someone would be doing you a favour to shift them.

Or leave them to rot, thus providing food for insects.

Willow is incredibly light and lacking in energy density, it burns (when dry) very quickly giving out little heat.
    Cut to 9" lengths and split, the Bristol going rate for a big bag of logs, delivered on the drive is about £60, but these are all hardwood, split and seasonaed after splitting for at least 6 months inside.
    So I am not so sure it has much value.
    Sorry
    Dave

ps - if you got it cut after the willows starting growing for the year, it will be full of sugar, and a real feast for the microbial and insect life as it rots down
    Last edited by sweets; 2nd October 2019 at 21:23. Reason: add ps

Master
    All the justification you need to buy a log burner. Or a smoker :)

Many thanks for all the informative and helpful replies.

There seems to be a reasonably broad consensus confirming what I already suspected might be the case.

Given their relatively low value I'm perfectly happy to see them taken away without any money changing hands so long as they go to a good home. I seem to recall seeing something fairly recently about a voluntary organisation which prepares and delivers wood for use by elderly people in rural areas living on a low income. I'll do a bit of digging around to see if I can find it again but if anyone else has contact details for this - or anything similar - I'd be grateful for that information.

Riding the Greta Thunberg wave, I already have a couple of large trunks laid out gently disintegrating on top of the stream bank and agree that they do provide for an excellent 'bug hotel'. As a bonus they also assist in containing a bamboo clump down there as well.

Craftsman
    As a slightly left field (and potentially silly) approach the longer ones might find value as cricket bats? Not sure on the manufacturing process but English willow is the wood of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    As a slightly left field (and potentially silly) approach the longer ones might find value as cricket bats? Not sure on the manufacturing process but English willow is the wood of choice.
    Willow for bats is specifically grown using only a few clones by very few, well respected growers. Each bat should only have 7-9 growth rings across the bat and the butts used for bat-making are only about 15 years old, that have been managed since planting to avoid any side branches, knots, inclusions etc. . Given these conditions it is very unlikely that these would be suitable, and bat-makers would not consider the purchase, but as a home-made project........?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Willow for bats is specifically grown using only a few clones by very few, well respected growers. Each bat should only have 7-9 growth rings across the bat and the butts used for bat-making are only about 15 years old, that have been managed since planting to avoid any side branches, knots, inclusions etc. . Given these conditions it is very unlikely that these would be suitable, and bat-makers would not consider the purchase, but as a home-made project........?
    Every day is a school day!