closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for Rolex

Looking for Rolex

I thought members might be interested (but not surprised) by my recent experience traveling by air via -
    London Heathrow
    Singapore
    Sydney
    Brisbane
    Auckland
    Hong Kong
    Amsterdam
    At each airport and in Singapore Orchard Road I visited AD's and asked about the availability of steel Submariners and GMT masters.
    No one admitted having a display watch I could inspect and only the Orchard Road AD would give me a delivery date (10 months)
    An uncharitable observer would rearrange the following words "Piss taking the"
    Cheers

Master
    I don't think they are extracting the urine, it's the reality of the market, not just for airport ADs.

Blog Entries
    Without trying to sound rude OP sounds like he/she has been living on a deserted island for the last couple of years. This is the norm, and has been for a while now.

Taking the p, we'll this is a certain flagship make AD telling me I'm only permitted to have my name down for 4 watches at any one point. Ordinarily I'd be fine with that but I don't see them providing even 1 of those any time soon.

There are a few AD’s on Orchard Road and even Changhi airport which have all the Rolex SS sports on display. I don’t know whether they let you try them on though.

I’m surprised that you’re surprised LOL

“I’m shocked, Rick, shocked to find that gambling is taking place here!”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Without trying to sound rude OP sounds like he/she has been living on a deserted island for the last couple of years.
    Have you visited Hexham...?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Have you visited Hexham...?
    I can go one better, dated a girl from there once.....never again

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    “I’m shocked, Rick, shocked to find that gambling is taking place here!”
    Of all the gin joints.....

Stop the presses, OP has some breaking news!

Master
    Blog Entries
    How about this for an idea, and I’m not TTP. Rather than fly round the universe looking for a R Submariner and being continually disappointed, buy a Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe. Probably costs a tad more, but twice the watch..IMHO
    I know I would

Just wait a while and they will be plentiful again and below list with the greys.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    How about this for an idea, and I’m not TTP. Rather than fly round the universe looking for a R Submariner and being continually disappointed, buy a Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe. Probably costs a tad more, but twice the watch..IMHO
    I know I would
    And half the residuals to!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    And half the residuals to!
    Well if it’s a keeper who really cares.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Just wait a while and they will be plentiful again and below list with the greys.
    I noticed in most Rolex related threads you comment about the “bubble bursting” or it’s only matter of time before it comes crashing down, why is that?

Do you genuinely believe the most popular SS Rolex will be lower than RRP? I’m not dismissing this in a laughable manner as yes it could happen but not on its own, it would need a worldwide economic crash similar to 2008 to effect demand to that level, even then I feel the most popular watches would still hold well.

To some extent Rolex hold all the cards, they could increase production to try and drown the grey’s but that wouldn’t do them any favours, it would just water down the demand and drop Rolex as a brand into Omega/Tudor territory, this would then make their watches compete side by side so not a good business decision.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I noticed in most Rolex related threads you comment about the “bubble bursting” or it’s only matter of time before it comes crashing down, why is that?

Do you genuinely believe the most popular SS Rolex will be lower than RRP? I’m not dismissing this in a laughable manner as yes it could happen but not on its own, it would need a worldwide economic crash similar to 2008 to effect demand to that level, even then I feel the most popular watches would still hold well.
    I have never stated prices would come crashing down but I believe the current shortage of SS models has been created by cheap obtainable credit and popularity of the brand on the different social media platforms. If and when the brand is no longer the flavour of the month and credit is less unobtainable then supply will start to filter through and we will see a price correction.

If you look back a few years as recently as 2016 all the SS models were available from AD's (except the Daytona) often with a small discount and with a good saving on the pre-owned market and it is only matter of time until we see this again.

I have never stated prices would come crashing down but I believe the current shortage of SS models has been created by cheap obtainable credit and popularity of the brand on the different social media platforms. If and when the brand is no longer the flavour of the month and credit is less unobtainable then supply will start to filter through and we will see a price correction.

If you look back a few years as recently as 2016 all the SS models were available from AD's (except the Daytona) often with a small discount and with a good saving on the pre-owned market and it is only matter of time until we see this again.
    Yep its cheap credit and Facebook / Instagram that has been the secret to Rolex success.....not do sure i agree with your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Yep its cheap credit and Facebook / Instagram that has been the secret to Rolex success.....not do sure i agree with your theory.
    I think the brand has always been successful but also obtainable until recent.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Well if it’s a keeper who really cares.
    Possibly, but the point being “If you don’t like it buy something else”. Is a valid one.

Master
    Human nature is a funny thing and this video sums up the Rolex thing perfectly for me. Thankfully there are no rolex watches I want.

https://youtu.be/NoRstEITESg

Craftsman
    I think the brand has always been successful but also obtainable until recent.
    I bought my Daytona 15 years ago , I had to wait over three years for it.

The consolation being list price was £3670 then.

All Rolex are obtainable, some of us just wait our turn to arrive and pay list , some prefer to pay overs for immediate delivery.

You’re not convincing me or others it would seem with your views.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Not trying to convince anybody of anything it’s just my opinion that a few years from now SS model will be freely available to purchase for AD window displays without a wait or the need to pay over RRP at greys as they were a couple of years ago.

In other equally surprising news - researchers have determined that smoking cigarettes is bad for your health.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not trying to convince anybody of anything it’s just my opinion that a few years from now SS model will be freely available to purchase for AD window displays without a wait or the need to pay over RRP at greys as they were a couple of years ago.
    Bold statement that, I can see SS models becoming easier to obtain if the economy drops but not freely available, Rolex have a unique position that all other watch companies must envy in that to qualify for a certain watch you have to buy more of their products, why would they drop that policy to fight it out with the rest of the window display??

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Bold statement that, I can see SS models becoming easier to obtain if the economy drops but not freely available, Rolex have a unique position that all other watch companies must envy in that to qualify for a certain watch you have to buy more of their products, why would they drop that policy to fight it out with the rest of the window display??
    That unique position as you put it has only been the case though for the past couple of years. I have previously purchased a couple of submariners a sea-dweller and an explorer from the window display and received some form of discount at the time.

The truth is that none of us know what the future holds.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 3rd October 2019 at 09:54.

What is tedious and has two slices of non sense and a generous helping of sour grapes in between?

Blog Entries
    The truth is that none of us know what the future holds.
    You seemed to think you knew...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I bought my Daytona 15 years ago , I had to wait over three years for it.

The consolation being list price was £3670 then.

All Rolex are obtainable, some of us just wait our turn to arrive and pay list , some prefer to pay overs for immediate delivery.

Think I waited about 2 months for my sub, why anyone can’t just wait and pay the normal price baffles me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    In other equally surprising news - researchers have determined that smoking cigarettes is bad for your health.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And particulates

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    What is tedious and has two slices of non sense and a generous helping of sour grapes in between?
    Why do you open and post on threads you find tedious?