closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yet another Kickstarter - thoughts?

Master

Yet another Kickstarter - thoughts?

I’m trying not to buy any more Kickstarter watches, as the pattern seems to be enjoying them for a day or two, before remembering what else I could be wearing. Nonetheless this one does appeal. My head says it’s a homage to an Oris 65, which gives me pause. But I think I may actually prefer the design. It also has a bit of the appeal to the Halios Seaforth. Hiding the bezel grip gives it a very clean look, and 39mm is in the Goldilocks zone for me... and then there’s the price. Who knows how long that generous looking lume will last though.

If someone could talk some sense into me that would be appreciated.

https://wornandwound.com/introducing...-school-vibes/

Last edited by Itsguy; 1st October 2019 at 19:55.

Price is OK, design: Maxi indexes/thin bezel and numbers doesn't work for me

Master
    Bezel minute markers should have been all or nothing imo. Just looks odd.

And no bracelet, no sale. Fed up of people making dive watches and offering them on leather but no bracelet.

Craftsman
    its very nice looking actually & has a solid movement. well priced i think, but with zero reputation behind the brand the price is probably realistic.

Should you get it? Up to you, but do you want this watch or just any watch for that just bought feeling that lasts about 10 minutes after which remorse sets in?
    Are there any nicer watches out there you really covet that the money would be better put aside for?

What is hard with any watch picture is that you don’t get a sense of finish and quality. While the design may appeal it could look cheap or really well finished in the flesh.

With brands you know, you often have a track record (no guarantees) in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure this will help talk some sense into you but since I can only blame you for pointing this out thought I’d give you a nudge in the “right” direction.

Hits a sweet spot for what I’ve been looking for a while now. Hopefully the answer to my question, will find out in 6 months

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post

Not sure this will help talk some sense into you but since I can only blame you for pointing this out thought I’d give you a nudge in the “right” direction.

Hits a sweet spot for what I’ve been looking for a while now. Hopefully the answer to my question, will find out in 6 months
    Good for you, I was becoming worried that by asking for reasons not to buy one I’d done a disservice to the project, I actually think it’s a really nice design. While it has echoes of the Oris Divers 65 and some Seikos (the large lume plots) they’ve actually created something I prefer, in a great size. We’ll have to see if the final result end up looking like what it costs, or has purely cosmetic lume like the Maen, but the prototype photos at least look great, and at that price it’s not much of a risk. I haven’t been so tempted by a diver since the Seaforth.

I've bought a few KS watches and never kept a single one... I think someone mentioned it above, but it's hard to judge the quality and finish which is often lacking in some of these.

Steve

Craftsman
    I know what you mean. Though they look cool, it’s hard to wear knowing that you also have really cool established brands like Seiko and the like that you could be wearing instead.

just happen to see pic like this and I was nearly going to get one

Kickstarter is a non-starter for me. I assume if the company can’t be bothered to get working capital from a source other than customer prepayments then parts availability and service will likely be an issue at some point in the future.

The only Kickstarters I've bought have been Hamtuns. I fell in love with the H1, my H2 should be on the way...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Is it a Sub? Is it a SeaMaster? Is it a Pam? ... No! It's a t*rd from Kickstarter!

They're all so derivative...

I bought two KS watches.

I've had issues with both - I won't bother again, the companies behind them just seem too flakey and far away (on the whole, I'm sure there are exceptions) to have much faith in.

On the positive side, with generic movements, they should be easy to get fixed.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd October 2019 at 14:15.

Kickstarter watches... unless they are historical (like the Newmark 6bb) or absolutely exceptional (like the Visitor Vale Park)... they are not worth bothering with. A watch needs a story. Kickstarter watches are storyless.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Kickstarter watches... unless they are historical (like the Newmark 6bb) or absolutely exceptional (like the Visitor Vale Park)... they are not worth bothering with. A watch needs a story. Kickstarter watches are storyless.
    Googled. Horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Googled. Horrific.
    It's certainly exceptional...I hope!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Googled. Horrific.
    "The exceptional" will depend on you, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Rolex case and indexes with squale hands and omega dial, the font used for the "logo" looks like the one on many italian sport cars just silly,

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Getting a Blancpain vibe here...

Reminds me massivley of the Unimatic design - maxi indices and micro bezel text.......