closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mini SD Clubman Auto (Real World) Sorry another car thread

Master
    Blog Entries

Mini SD Clubman Auto (Real World) Sorry another car thread

Thinking of chopping the 5 Series Touring in for a one year old SD Clubman, it’s fully loaded with 6k miles, and a great colour. I have secured a good deal, should I proceed but I am just not sure. The engine and gearbox are more or less the same as the 5 so it is more rapid and fun to drive. Don’t need the space as we have the GLC. I know it’s not going to ride like the 5 but I am just not sure if it’s going to be to crashy over some of our roads. Being a tad longer wheelbase that should keep it smoother, but can someone give me their honest opinion.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Thinking of chopping the 5 Series Touring in for a one year old SD Clubman, it’s fully loaded with 6k miles, and a great colour. I have secured a good deal, should I proceed but I am just not sure. The engine and gearbox are more or less the same as the 5 so it is more rapid and fun to drive. Don’t need the space as we have the GLC. I know it’s not going to ride like the 5 but I am just not sure if it’s going to be to crashy over some of our roads. Being a tad longer wheelbase that should keep it smoother, but can someone give me their honest opinion.

Paul
    Hi Paul

I've a 63 plate 520 Tourer and my wife has a 63 plate Countryman SD All4. They are very different beasts. The Countryman is fun to drive and very stable on the motorway (pretty heavy) with lots of grunt. Not sure what pack we have but make sure you can connect your phone and play music in the pack you get, drives me mad that you can't do this on ours.

Day to day it is easy to live with, but very skittish on lumpy corners and feels you are fighting it. We live in rural lancs and roads aren't the best so fell a bit beaten if you put your foot down. We changed tyres from run flats to normal and that's helped with the ride a little.

Seats are comfy and we did the NC500 in it (with camping kit and a 10 year old) so ok space wise in the back.

Other big difference is the headlights. My 520 are rubbish and the countryman lights are nuclear, even dipped you get oncoming traffic flashing you that they are undipped...

I prefer my 520 for the creature comforts and smooth ride but might be my age (40's)

If you want any specifics let me know, but would recommend a test drive on back roads (non- A roads) to ensure you are comfortable with the skittish nature.

A

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ruddy
    Thanks for that. You are right that the 5 does drive nicely but as said we have the GLC when we want smooth. I also have the TR6 for fun days and you don’t get more skittish then that.

The wife really likes the look of the car size wise so we will end up sharing it, both cars not needed for work as such. It’s going to be as good or if not better on fuel than the 5

I cannot comment on your exact scenario with experience, but we are pretty close. My car is a ‘19 BMW 420 and my wife drives a ‘16 5 door Mini Cooper Hatch.

Whilst I really enjoy the mini for short journeys, I do find it incredibly uncomfortable for anything over say 20 miles. It’s fun, engaging and great for throwing around country lanes, but it’s not something I personally would want to drive everyday.

The BMW on the other hand is comfortable, fun when it needs to be and refined in a way that the Mini cannot be. All that said, my wife hates the BMW and loves the Mini. I would agree with spec being important on the Mini. Ours has a Chili and XL media pack which is very good, but the basic pack’s connectivity is poor.

Probably no use at all - good luck with whichever option you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Boris
    No problem with the connectivity as it has the top pack.

It worries me a bit when I see the tyre walls on the fitted 18” or should I say lack of them

I had a Cooper S Clubman last year.

Loved it. Comfy, quick, fun, good tech.

BUT

It had 18" run-flats which do affect the ride somewhat, especially on our pot-holed roads. (I also had these on a 3 series Estate, with much the same problem)

I would have one again, but would ditch the run-flats.