closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Rolex Yacht Master sold by reputable auctioneer

Fake Rolex Yacht Master sold by reputable auctioneer

I spotted a fake Yachtmaster on the Saleroom and advised the auction house it was a fake (a very obvious one, the bracelet has a fantasy reference number 70216 and the dial is very poor quality with terrible lettering and lume disintegrating) but they didn't take it down and some poor sap paid £3600+ 30% commission for it

here's the link
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...6-aac700cb7220

This is the auction house

https://www.hutchinsonscott.co.uk/

Goes to show that the fakes are not just on eBay these days. I'm also concerned by the larger auction houses policy not to open the case back of a watch still under warranty, given the quality of fakes these days especially the Rolex sport models.

I think the 168622 is real, its the bracelet that is fake.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 1st October 2019 at 15:15.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I think the 16622 is real, its the bracelet that is fake.
    really? the "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" doesn't look right, too thin. And what's going on with the lume?

Have to admit the bezel looks good though which on the fakes is usually a sign

Quote Originally Posted by zecko View Post
    really? the "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" doesn't look right, too thin. And what's going on with the lume?

Have to admit the bezel looks good though which on the fakes is usually a sign
    I think the watch has clearly been in the hands of an amateur watch bother-er. Lume plots have likely been damaged or contaminated. The hands look too dull too and as Mark says missing the red second hand. Would be interesting to see inside the case back as the movement could also have been tampered with.

It also looks to me like it could be the 37mm version of the Yacht-Master. 168622 purely down to the look of the proportions.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 1st October 2019 at 15:16.

Blog Entries
    I'm very, very far from a Rolex expert but the dial and hands don't look right to me.

(a) The centre circle of the hours hand looks too large to me.
    (b) The counter-weight on the seconds hand is too small.
    (c) The seconds hand is not quite long enough.
    (d) Err.. isn't the seconds hand supposed to be red? But it's a terrible photo anyway.
    (e) The "YACHT-MASTER" text is too spaced out. It reads as "YACHT - MASTER" when it should be "YACHT-MASTER".
    (f) The "SWISS MADE" text is too small compared to the reduced height minute markers around it.

I am aware that Rolex changes dial all the time so someone who is a real expert might say that all of the above is normal but I don't like it.

What deviant would photograph a watch for sale with a misaligned bezel?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    What deviant would photograph a watch for sale with a misaligned bezel?
    Hah.

Perhaps so as to avoid showing that the bezel doesn't quite align? ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I think the 168622 is real, its the bracelet that is fake.
    Bracelet fake beyond question.

The crown is too big to belong on a 168622, which is the mid-size.

It's a cobbled together bag of bits, so bidders might well wonder which parts if any are genuine / fake / stolen.

Master
    Looks dodgy af.

Not sure what is worse the pics of that thing or that they sold it with such little regard for its provenance

No it’s the look

All of this makes me quite nervous.

Sure this is a smaller auction house. Do we think Sotheby’s / Christie’s / Bonhams and the like would let a fake slip through?

Have been tempted by a Pepsi or two at Sotheby’s but worried about getting a total frankenwatch

And now worried they don’t have a clue about fakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    All of this makes me quite nervous.

Sure this is a smaller auction house. Do we think Sotheby’s / Christie’s / Bonhams and the like would let a fake slip through?

Have been tempted by a Pepsi or two at Sotheby’s but worried about getting a total frankenwatch

And now worried they don’t have a clue about fakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Read their small print disclaimers about dials etc. Some big names disclaim much responsibility for what they sell, especially when charging the buyer circa 30% and the seller over 12%. Don't bid if you aren't confident yourself about what is correct.

By the way, does anyone know how to withdraw a bid on eBay? I put £50 on a cowboy outfit by mistake and I'm now twenty minutes away from owning Humbert Ellis.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 2nd October 2019 at 00:41.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Read their small print disclaimers about dials etc. Some big names disclaim much responsibility for what they sell, especially when charging the buyer circa 30% and the seller over 12%. Don't bid if you aren't confident yourself about what is correct.
    +1 on this. I wouldn't buy from an auction unless I had a second opinion from someone with a lot more knowledge than myself. In fact there aren't many places I would buy a second hand Rolex, I wouldn't trust many to know how to spot fakes.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    By the way, does anyone know how to withdraw a bid on eBay? I put £50 on a cowboy outfit by mistake and I'm now twenty minutes away from owning Humbert Ellis.
    <chortle>

Some big names disclaim much responsibility for what they sell, especially when charging the buyer circa 30% and the seller over 12%.
    Yes, I find it particularly indefensible to charge a 30% buyer's commission without guaranteeing that what you have sold is genuine. The claim that it's an auction and that the auction house is a neutral marketplace can no longer be taken seriously.

If you're promoting it (which is the specific function of an auction house, of course), then you must stand behind it. eBay actually manages this on a mass market scale so smaller auction houses should be able to do so too, especially considering their very high (compared to eBay) commissions.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 2nd October 2019 at 10:14.

Journeyman
    There is so much wrong with this. Mostly... 30%!!! That is a hell of a commission, is this standard?

Blog Entries
    Well, we've all agreed that it's as dodgy as a dodgy thing in the season of not-quite-rightness, but is there anything anyone can do to contact the buyer? I don't suppose so.

At least we can exercise due caution in our own auction buying endeavours.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Looks dodgy af.

The right one in your photo is the midsize version. The left one has wrong bracelet, wrong hands, second hand has no color but the case, dial and crown look genuine. What a strange mess that is!

My review covers the different models.
    https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...ter-ref-16622/

I took this photograph of the dial of my friend's YM. Better reference maybe? (PS: There are at least two dial variations. SWISSMADE and SWISS ' MADE, so that's not an indicator).

Last edited by JPE; 2nd October 2019 at 17:15.