closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 88 of 88

Thread: Got £1k to spend,what to buy

  1. #51
    I got a Longines legend this year for £45 over this budget in a sale. Might be an option?

  2. #52
    Master Gavbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Yes it retails at double but it's yet to sell at 1k.It is nice but not so sure I see 1k in it,£800 ish perhaps.

    Just my opinion on value.

    And if "Sinn" is something you'd consider.I have a very nice indeed U1 full set.
    Another one Paul! Your worse than me.

    I would go U1 or 104.

  3. #53
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    What would I likely haggle this down to in store?

    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heu...CABEgIjk_D_BwE

  4. #54
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    563
    Alpina Seastrong, should be doable at around £1,000 with some haggling.

    TBH buying new at £1,000 is a mistake, as everything at that price will take a huge hit on depreciation the moment you walk out the door. I'd save a bit more until you can get into Speedy Pro, Omega SMP 300 territory and buy used.

    Last edited by J J Carter; 1st October 2019 at 22:00.

  5. #55
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,324
    Why does it HAVE to be NEW?

  6. #56
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Why does it HAVE to be NEW?
    Because I want to be the first owner. It is for my 40th birthday and is a special gift,and it being 2 nd hand kind of ruins that for me if Iím honest

  7. #57
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    416
    Keep saving
    Get to 1500 quid plus and your options open up

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  8. #58
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    ealing
    Posts
    568


    Was mentioned before , but a blue face hydro would be perfect , steel bracelet , auto and non chrono

  9. #59
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    What would I likely haggle this down to in store?

    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heu...CABEgIjk_D_BwE
    Goldsmiths will do me it for £1,875.

    I may save a little more and go for it.....

  10. #60
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bath,UK
    Posts
    469
    Try googling it - thereís one being offered for £1695 (Browns - I have no idea if they are reputable - others on here will know) - Goldsmiths might price match. Also a blue one on Amazon for £1399. I suspect pricing will go up and down, so keep an eye out while youíre saving!

  11. #61
    Craftsman Artium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    301
    Yema superman heritage on leather, rubber, steel or fabric looks always good!

  12. #62
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,290
    You'll just sneak a Breitling SuperOcean A17040...


  13. #63
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    I'm on a similar budget......currently looking at used sinn watches.
    In case itís of interest, Iíve got a Sinn EZM3 with all box /papers and just over 2yr warranty left thatís likely to be on its way out as Iíve just bought something I shouldnít have!


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #64

  15. #65
    The eternal reissue diver on mesh is a class act and great value

  16. #66
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    DARLINGTON, ENGLAND
    Posts
    2
    Christopher ward make very nice solid watches, also have a 5 year warranty, definitely worth a look. This is my c65 trident bronze with natural patina.IMG_20191003_124120154_HDR.jpg

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Decided to go for the Tag Aquaracer

    Thanks for all suggestions

    There are so many great watches to choose from!

  18. #68

    Got £1k to spend,what to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-di...055-07-8-20-18

    with a 20% discount will be shade over £1k!

    Is that 36mm? Would be great in 40....

    Edit - ignore me, they do both!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #69
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,589
    If you opened up your options to pre-owned then your choices would increase markedly.
    Out of the ones so far I would go for the Oris but as said preowned would open up some cracking Sinn's and plenty of these watches will look like new and be hardly worn.

  20. #70
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clare , Ireland
    Posts
    154
    Tag Aquaracer is my fav sub £1000 ive owned

  21. #71
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If you opened up your options to pre-owned then your choices would increase markedly.
    Out of the ones so far I would go for the Oris but as said preowned would open up some cracking Sinn's and plenty of these watches will look like new and be hardly worn.
    Where to buy used from?

    Watchfinder isnít really much cheaper tbh.....

  22. #72
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Can anyone tell me where (if I was to buy a used watch) I should be looking?

    eBay? Watchfinder?

    Where else

  23. #73
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,406
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Can anyone tell me where (if I was to buy a used watch) I should be looking?

    eBay? Watchfinder?

    Where else
    I'm not an expert on Tags but, were I looking for one, eBay and Chrono24 would be my main places to search. Beyond that I'd watch WUS too. I'd also keep an eye on second hand dealers although the only one I can suggest who might carry this sort of thing at an (in my opinion) sensible price would be www.chronomaster.co.uk. Perhaps other people can suggest other second hand dealers for this type of watch?

    I'm pointing out the obvious when I say that you do need to be careful when buying via eBay or Chrono24 and especially via a forum like WUS. You need to know what you're buying.

    If you don't feel 100% confident about buying from the the likes of eBay, Chrono24 or a forum then sticking to an established dealer like Chronomaster (or Watchfinder, or others) might be better. Or, of course, simply buying new from an AD.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th October 2019 at 19:21.

  24. #74
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'm not an expert on Tags but, were I looking for one, eBay and Chrono24 would be my main places to search. Beyond that I'd watch WUS too. I'd also keep an eye on second hand dealers although the only one I can suggest who might carry this sort of thing at an (in my opinion) sensible price would be www.chronomaster.co.uk. Perhaps other people can suggest other second hand dealers for this type of watch?

    I'm pointing out the obvious when I say that you do need to be careful when buying via eBay or Chrono24 and especially via a forum like WUS. You need to know what you're buying.

    If you don't feel 100% confident about buying from the the likes of eBay, Chrono24 or a forum then sticking to an established dealer like Chronomaster (or Watchfinder, or others) might better. Or, of course, simply buying new from an AD.
    Thanks for the detailed response. What is WUS?

  25. #75
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,406
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response. What is WUS?
    WUS = Watchuseek = https://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

  26. #76
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Thanks.

    Appreciate the advice and links

  27. #77
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11

    Hard to ignore Oris at this pricepoint

    Can you give more details of what you are after?
    Sports / Dress / Any particular complication (canít be greedy at 1k).
    As the many wise have suggested Used Seiko and Oris. A friend of mine recently sold a 80th Anniversary pointer date for about 1350 and that is a beaut.
    If you want to go off piste and have something few will have - how about a NOMOS. They are getting a lot of respect. Another options in the off piste section - Montblanc, they are doing better and better things and older pieces are around 1k.

    As I say with more details of what type of watch you are after would be good?

  28. #78
    Craftsman Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Petersfield UK
    Posts
    379
    I wouldn't bother with TAG their after sales is appalling
    Quote Originally Posted by TT300 View Post
    Surely a used automatic Tag Carrera would be in reach for £1000?
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

  29. #79
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I wouldn't bother with TAG their after sales is appalling

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    TAG and Zenith are far more lenient with regards to parts supply, youíre not tied in to accredited repairers or the manufacturers service centre when the watches need work.

    Build quality on some TAGs is impressive, just got a TAG Kirium on the bench and Iím impressed. Some of the quartz models are less impressive, but as a second- hand buy TAGs have much to recommend them.

  30. #80
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    41
    longines flagship automatic?

  31. #81
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    283
    I've not got any new suggestions over whats been said already but I have a Steinhart Ocean one, black with black aluminium bezel and for the price i think its a fantastic watch. Its about £350. Gives you the sub look.

    Also have another Steinhart - Ocean one titanium GMT. Again I really like it. The titanium makes it a lot lighter than the full stainless steel. Has a black/ blue 'batman' bezel and exhibition case back which is nice. Again well in budget at around £600. Both are 42mm.

    I like some of the Tag designs and had a lovely carrera (Juan Fangio) got almost 1/3rd off when purchased new from Goldsmiths and still lost a load when i sold. Generally I dont think new tags hold there value well, which may or may not be a consideration for you.

    Christopher ward do some nice divers too in different sizes 38mm, 40mm and 43mm. Often have sales although a lot of models are under £1000 anyway.

  32. #82
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I've not got any new suggestions over whats been said already but I have a Steinhart Ocean one, black with black aluminium bezel and for the price i think its a fantastic watch. Its about £350. Gives you the sub look.

    Also have another Steinhart - Ocean one titanium GMT. Again I really like it. The titanium makes it a lot lighter than the full stainless steel. Has a black/ blue 'batman' bezel and exhibition case back which is nice. Again well in budget at around £600. Both are 42mm.

    I like some of the Tag designs and had a lovely carrera (Juan Fangio) got almost 1/3rd off when purchased new from Goldsmiths and still lost a load when i sold. Generally I dont think new tags hold there value well, which may or may not be a consideration for you.

    Christopher ward do some nice divers too in different sizes 38mm, 40mm and 43mm. Often have sales although a lot of models are under £1000 anyway.
    Thanks for the info mate. I will have a look.

    Where did you buy the Steinhart from?

  33. #83
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Thanks for the info mate. I will have a look.

    Where did you buy the Steinhart from?
    Chronomaster - highly recommended, seems to get a lot of mentions on the forums. Ocean one black is £355 and the Titanium is £595.

    Good luck with search, let us know what you decide on.

  34. #84
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    T'up, North
    Posts
    261
    Could get 2, a black and a white, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical for less than a grand !




    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  35. #85
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Been looking at 2nd hand options and came across this listing.....

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254367531772

    Anyone care to comment on price,condition and overall thoughts on it as an option for me?

  36. #86
    Master bazza.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Posts
    2,443
    I just picked this up ,A Christopher Ward C60 Trident GMT they are £995 new, I'm very impressed so far feels solid and has a cool diver extension clasp



  37. #87
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Hersham, UK
    Posts
    53
    I got each of these for under one grand (UK), except the Tudor Black Bay Black. All new except the Glycine. Any one of them should fit the bill...
    L-R: Tudor, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Unimatic U2-C, Benarus Moray 38mm, Glycine Airman 8, Rado Captain Cook 37.3mm.

    [IMG] upload[/IMG]

  38. #88
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    114
    Decided against 2nd hand, I really wanted my first big (to me at least) watch purchase to be new.

    Just knowing it is pristine,out of the box makes me feel more comfortable. It,is for my 40th birthday which was last week.

    Bought from here https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...uaracer_(43mm)

    High street AD didnít really come close price wise.

    Reviews are good and so far so good dealing with these guys. Looking forward to it arriving soon.

    Thanks for all suggestions and input they have all been very helpful.

    Fraser.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information