closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Netflix programme release availability

Netflix programme release availability

I think I am going to subscribe to an online TV streaming service as the current terrestrial TV options are becoming a bit tedious and repetitive. (Strictly AGAIN etc). Netflix looking likely to be the likely contender due to the many decent boxsets available.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of basic questions:
    1. When Netflix release a new programme (eg El Camino specifically) will this be available worldwide, or is it limited to specific geographic locations?
    2. Is that the same for all new releases, or does it vary dependent upon the programme in question?

One last Q:
    3. Are the films any good on Netflix, ie are they old rubbish or are there some decent titles available to watch which aren't a decade old. I was rather disappointed with the poor quality of the films available on the Amazon Prime trial I did recently.

TIA

Can't answer your questions specifically but having both Prime and Netflix, Netflix wins (all except for Bosch)

Craftsman
    Agree with the above Netflix outshines Prime in pretty much every area

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Netflix is 100% worth the monthly cost, you do not get a great deal of new films apart from Netflix releases

I have both and there is loads of good stuff on Prime too - The Man in the High Castle for instance.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Journeyman
    Take a look at the JustWatch app, it shows what is on each of the streaming services..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Been watching Prime more lately, Netflix has been getting worse over the last year, losing a lot of their decent shows and replacing with pap. Prime has Preacher, The Boys, Man in the High Castle, Bosch, The Expanse (best Sci-Fi just now!), American Gods, Jack Ryan, Mr Robot, etc, etc.

A year ago i'd have said Netflix was the best, but it's struggling these days to keep up, and with the big boys doing their own thing in the next couple of years, they're going to struggle even more, whilst also raising prices!

As an aside, I've found that Prime get you going on some things then want to charge you to continue watching them further.
    That's not good.

I have both Amazon and Netflix. If I could only have one, I'd probably chose Netflix.

One thing that annoys me about Amazon is that it's difficult to isolate the stuff that's included with your subscription. Too often you find an interesting film, and you need to pay for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I have both Amazon and Netflix. If I could only have one, I'd probably chose Netflix.

One thing that annoys me about Amazon is that it's difficult to isolate the stuff that's included with your subscription. Too often you find an interesting film, and you need to pay for it.
    That's a very good point. Sooo much content available on Amazon... But so much not included

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Take a look at the JustWatch app, it shows what is on each of the streaming services..
    Pretty useful.

Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a great watcher of TV but we have SkyQ, Netflix and Prime. I'd say the kids / wife watch Netflix 80% off the time.

Further comments regarding Prime: I partly have it for the shopping/fast delivery. I don't know if I'd keep it otherwise, but Better Call Saul is a big attraction for me.

I think the biggest issue is that there are no 'family' options, so if I want to let one of the kids use it to watch something, they also get full access to my purchase history (not good at Christmas, for example), and full access to buy things.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I’d agree if it were just for viewing but Amazon offers Prime free postage on online orders and Amazon music which is good if you have an Alexa which makes it great value.

We have both Netflix and Prime and for the cost compared with Virgin or Sky it’s much better value.

Thanks Chaps for the useful info.

Have gone with Netflix for now and will see how it goes. Shame it does not have Bosch, as I would like to have caught up with that again.

Useful note about JustWatch too, so I can see what I do/do not have available. I hadn't heard of that before.

I've found just as Netflix became available through Sky so did the quality start to drop,

watched some god awful things in the past couple of months whereas before I rated Netflix above Prime, now I've seen all the good things I was after, I've switched that around, but I'll switch back my go to provider just as easily

nice thing is unlike sky VS virgin for example, its only a direct debit change away from switching between them now as their quality varies, no hardware eco-system to worry about

I've got some favourite shows on both that I'd not want to miss out on by not having either and really rate what both are doing compared to the mainstream and am only really looking forward to where this takes us

Netflix is my main medium for TV they certainly commission decent original programming.
    My only frustration being the different availability in different regions- I seem to have Latin American list rather than US or U.K. and I see different programs and movies available when I travel .

For example I watched Ragnarok on my Netflix login when traveling but it’s not available when I am at home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Have gone with Netflix for now and will see how it goes. Shame it does not have Bosch, as I would like to have caught up with that again.
    I found Bosch trawling through Prime one night and really enjoyed it. You could get a month’s free Prime trial (even if you have to use a new email address).

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I found Bosch trawling through Prime one night and really enjoyed it. You could get a month’s free Prime trial (even if you have to use a new email address).

Master
    Netflix's own movies (or those they buy and pretend to own) are usually released worldwide (birdbox, bright, etc.) certain 3rd party movies and series are region specific. For example 'Dr Strange' was available in the USA long before it was in the UK.
    There is however a way around this, if you use a VPN and set it's exit point to, say, the USA then you can access the country specific version of netflix. It's not something I bother with much though as 90% of things are available.

Another streaming service that might be worth a look when it arrives is the new Disney one, as Disney now own Marvel, Star wars, Fox, etc. their back catalog will be massive. Not to mention the sheer volume of original content especially for marvel and star wars if you are fans of either franchise.