closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car breakdown cover

Blog Entries

Car breakdown cover

Hi
    one of my cars a 2006 John cooper works mini needs to have breakdown cover any recommendations apart from the usual AA, RAC and Green Flag? done the comparison sites but obviously real experience is a better monitor.
    TIA.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    When I was looking it worked out best to upgrade my bank account as it includes comprehensive travel insurance, phone insurance and breakdown cover (including home start and relay) for £20 a month. I put it on my wife and I's joint account therefore we both get cover for the same monthly fee which works out at very good value. There is also not the standard price hike at renewal so need to waste time changing breakdown providers each year.

The breakdown cover is provided by the AA and they were very good the one time needed to use them.

Master
    Try LV Breakdown cover. Third in Auto Express best of 2019

https://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    When I was looking it worked out best to upgrade my bank account as it includes comprehensive travel insurance, phone insurance and breakdown cover (including home start and relay) for £20 a month. I put it on my wife and I's joint account therefore we both get cover for the same monthly fee which works out at very good value. There is also not the standard price hike at renewal so need to waste time changing breakdown providers each year.

The breakdown cover is provided by the AA and they were very good the one time needed to use them.
    Just moved my bank account with similar add on’s however age has meant that the travel insurance is no longer of value so hence my question.

I went with GEM Motoring Assist after looking online and finding this:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...own-cover-2019

I haven't actually used them yet, touch wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Hi
    one of my cars a 2006 John cooper works mini needs to have breakdown cover any recommendations apart from the usual AA, RAC and Green Flag? done the comparison sites but obviously real experience is a better monitor.
    TIA.
    rescuemycar.com - its peanuts and you get about £6 back on quidco too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Hi
    TIA.
    You’ll be ok with standard car breakdown cover from any of the usual suspects (I always found GEM very efficient), but problems start with European cover when the car is over 16 years old. I have opened a Nationwide Flex Plus account, which covers my old Boxster in UK and Europe without any age restrictions (as it does for all cars/vehicles in our family). It also covers me and the wife for travel insurance and mobile phones too....

£13 per month, but you get a significant amount of interest up to a £2.5k balance (around £6.50 per month). That means the net cost is under £7 per month for all the cover.....which is far cheaper than alternatives in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    You’ll be ok with standard car breakdown cover from any of the usual suspects (I always found GEM very efficient), but problems start with European cover when the car is over 16 years old. I have opened a Nationwide Flex Plus account, which covers my old Boxster in UK and Europe without any age restrictions (as it does for all cars/vehicles in our family). It also covers me and the wife for travel insurance and mobile phones too....

£13 per month, but you get a significant amount of interest up to a £2.5k balance (around £6.50 per month). That means the net cost is under £7 per month for all the cover.....which is far cheaper than alternatives in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks appreciated but this is the account just switched due to age and now some pre existing conditions which now makes our travel insurance an additional £296.00 pa extra to anyone out there this is an excellent product but do make sure any existing conditions for you and your partner are noted to the insurers with any of these products.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post

The interest on the Flex Plus account is withdrawn from the first of November. Got to pay for the executives' pay-rises somehow, I suppose!
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The interest on the Flex Plus account is withdrawn from the first of November. Got to pay for the executives' pay-rises somehow, I suppose!
    That's 'interesting'......and may well change the fiscal sense its product makes to me! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    rescuemycar.com - its peanuts and you get about £6 back on quidco too!
    Went with these guys as this vehicle is only used locally.
    Thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post

So, er....which bank was it then ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    So, er....which bank was it then ?
    Lloyds - platinum current account. £20 a month for an individual or £20 a month per couple if joint account so both get to benefit from the cover. For example the breakdown cover, covers both account holders as opposed to covering a specific vehicles(s).

I think the account is pretty decent and suits my needs, think most banks offer similar packages so def worth having a look at seeing whats available.

^^ Thanks very much

- - - Updated - - -

^^ Thanks very much

Some of the cheap companies (startrescue is one I’ve had experience of) will do virtually nothing at the roadside. Others, like RAC and the AA are much more likely to attempt repairs such as replacing a fan-belt.

Master
    A couple of months ago I had a huge Twitter/Fb scrap with Green Flag over the ridiculous 35% renewal increase they attempted to extort. It's the same with all insurance these days. All this 'comparison' malarky is the cause of it. They don't really care if you go elsewhere so why not try to ttp at renewal time? Unfortunately I'm sure many people are gullible/apathetic enough not to argue their case.

Craftsman
    I've used Quoteline direct, about £60 for the year with European cover included.

Very good service from my experience as they have...

Towed a Focus from London to Hull.

Towed a Primera from Calais to Hull with a courtesy car while they did it.

Last year was the best one. Broke down just outside Paris. Hotel provided overnight, Taxi to the ferry in Zeebrugge (about 500 € IIRC) and the car followed allbeit slowly on a low loader.

No brainer compared to AA and the likes.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

if you just want recovery, I am with auto aid, its a insurance like policy with recovery garages, you are the one covered so you can be in any car and qualify for recovery with no vehicle age restrictions uk only, you pay the recovery charge and claim the costs back, they have good reviews and are recommended on martin money tips , £48 a year?

Have used Aviva past 3 years: RAC joint cover for rescue, recovery and at home was £82.59

Master
    Just moved to Start Rescue a couple of months ago, owing to price of RAC, despite our not having called them out for many (at least 10) years.
    https://www.startrescue.co.uk/