timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antiques Roadshow speedmaster

Antiques Roadshow speedmaster

Anyone just seen the speedmaster on antiques Roadshow? Estimated £5k-£6k

Nice looking original watch.

Yes I just caught it too. Decent condition for a 40+ year old watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's going to flog her late husband's watch and go on a cruise! Hope that doesn't happen to mine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    She's going to flog her late husband's watch and go on a cruise! Hope that doesn't happen to mine.

Makes a change for somebody to come right out with it on AR, usually it’s the fake “oh I’ll be keeping it”. When we all know it’ll be right down the auction house in the morning.

Master
    Funny how she said it was displayed in a Glass of Water ! Obviously didn’t do it any harm. Shame it wasn’t to be passed down, but then we all think differently.
    I liked the fish picture afterwards !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post

Me too. I fish the same river, the Hodder; if there's a prettier stretch of water in the UK I would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Funny how she said it was displayed in a Glass of Water ! Obviously didn’t do it any harm. Shame it wasn’t to be passed down, but then we all think differently.

i think she might have been a bit confused. Rolex had a window display which used a tank of water. Alas the Speedy isn't waterproof. Nice watch all the same.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C..._Axey7bXi77fM:

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Fair play to her. I'd be happy for my kids to sell all my stuff and enjoy the money on things they like or want to do. Watches aren't for everyone.

Clearly doesn't know his Speedmasters. Said the watch was from 1975 as it was stamped on the clasp but it clearly said 1175 which is the correct bracelet for the 145.022.69 to -71. Also it had a step dial and DNN bezel confirming the early 70s date rather than the mid 70s he suggests.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    i think she might have been a bit confused. Rolex had a window display which used a tank of water. Alas the Speedy isn't waterproof. Nice watch all the same.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C..._Axey7bXi77fM:
    Why does that mean the speedy wasn't kept in a glass of water?

And I mean even rolex refuse to use the term waterproof.

All of my speedmasters have been submerged for prolonged periods of time quite happily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Clearly doesn't know his Speedmasters. Said the watch was from 1975 as it was stamped on the clasp but it clearly said 1175 which is the correct bracelet for the 145.022.69 to -71. Also it had a step dial and DNN bezel confirming the early 70s date rather than the mid 70s he suggests.
    Would that increase its valuation?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Why does that mean the speedy wasn't kept in a glass of water?

And I mean even rolex refuse to use the term waterproof.

All of my speedmasters have been submerged for prolonged periods of time quite happily.
    Because I have never seen an Omega Speedmaster display like that and because the Speedy isn't Waterproof - water resistant isn't the same. The Speedy is good for swimming and washing your hands, but displaying totally immersed in water for a period of time is stretching it a little.

Now if it had been a Seamaster then that might be more plausible, but not a Speedy.

Happy to be be proven wrong btw.

Regarding Rolex's claim this was taken from the Rolex web-site. So actually it is a term used by Rolex.

THE OYSTER CASE

The symbol of waterproofness

The Oyster case constitutes an important milestone in the history of contemporary watchmaking. Invented by Rolex in 1926, it was the world's first waterproof case for a wristwatch thanks to its patented system of screwing down the bezel, case back and winding crown against the middle case. A symbol of robustness and waterproofness, this perfectly proportioned and elegant watch case is a superb blend of form and function, whether crafted in Oystersteel, 18 ct gold or 950 platinum.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

This got me laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They said enamel dial. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    They said enamel dial. Is it?
    He said enamel bezel 👀
    Gray

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    He said enamel bezel
    Yes correct, is the bezel enamel?

Why not? If she values time with a friend over a watch where’s the issue? Watches mean a lot to me, but they are a very expensive material good that may mean nothing to the rest of my family. I’d rather the capital was used for what they love.

Master
    Because I have never seen an Omega Speedmaster display like that and because the Speedy isn't Waterproof - water resistant isn't the same. The Speedy is good for swimming and washing your hands, but displaying totally immersed in water for a period of time is stretching it a little.

Now if it had been a Seamaster then that might be more plausible, but not a Speedy.

Regarding Rolex's claim this was taken from the Rolex web-site. So actually it is a term used by Rolex.

THE OYSTER CASE

The Oyster case constitutes an important milestone in the history of contemporary watchmaking. Invented by Rolex in 1926, it was the world's first waterproof case for a wristwatch thanks to its patented system of screwing down the bezel, case back and winding crown against the middle case. A symbol of robustness and waterproofness, this perfectly proportioned and elegant watch case is a superb blend of form and function, whether crafted in Oystersteel, 18 ct gold or 950 platinum.
    No watch is water proof, they are all only water resistant to a certain pressure. The Speedmaster when healthy has been water resistant to rated 30m depth then more recently 50m since day one and yes you could happily immerse one long term but it’s not designed for extensive chronograph use underwater as it’s possible to pump water past the pushers if used at depth. I wouldn’t swim with one personally but many including NASA Astronauts have without any issue since they are fully sealed.
    Last edited by Padders; 29th September 2019 at 22:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    No watch is water proof, they are all only water resistant to a certain pressure.
    My Sinn EZM2 says Waterproof in german not water resistant, then again it is filled with silicone oil and is calculated to be fine at a depth of 11000 feet, where do we draw the line of water resistant to water proof?

Master
    Blog Entries

Said that to the wife while we watched it!

Just watched this on catch up...
    I said out loud to the hounds, that’s the bracelet reference not the date
    and said out loud again the bezel isn’t enamel.

I like AR, but surely there “experts” should really be more... well, expert.

Saw that too. Thought the valuation was quite punchy. Is that what they go for? - no mention of box and papers :-)

The wife got quite excited until pointed out that mine was a a mid 90s speedy.

Casper

I don’t know why it was on the programme, a watch from the 1970s is not antique.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Just watched this on catch up...
    I said out loud to the hounds, that’s the bracelet reference not the date
    and said out loud again the bezel isn’t enamel.

I like AR, but surely there “experts” should really be more... well, expert.
    Absolutely! Some very poor work there from someone supposedly an expert in watches and clocks.

Craftsman

THE OYSTER CASE

Totally correct . Perfectly fine on the surface of The Moon but not submerged in a glass of water for any prolonged time..

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Me too. I fish the same river, the Hodder; if there's a prettier stretch of water in the UK I would like to see it.

That is the one which flows past The Inn at Whitewell, isn't it ?? Pretty indeed, as is the rest of the forest of Bowland.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    That is the one which flows past The Inn at Whitewell, isn't it ?? Pretty indeed, as is the rest of the forest of Bowland.
    Correct. The Trough of Bowland must be one of the most unsung beauty spots in the land. When I moved up from Cornwall I had no idea just what a beautiful county Lancashire is.

Just watched the previous week with a nice original Ultraman Speedy. 35-40k estimate. It’s the Salisbury Cathedral episode from 15th September. 53:50sec in.

Got round to watching this episode last night....I did have to chuckle when the woman clearly said her husband bought the watch in 70-71....then when he said 1175 was the date and that it must be a replacement bracelet she said no, it’s the original

Having watched it, I have exactly the same watch with step dial dating from 1974, saying that it says 71T in the case back which confuses people. When the “expert” dated it from the bracelet code and said it had an enamel bezel I was cringing, getting things wrong on such a big screen is surely damaging to his expertise.

As for value, I would like it to be worth what he said but again he’s wrong, unless it’s a very full set with crater box and then it’s very top end, more realistic is £3.5k/£4k.

Not just me that spotted these things then.
    1175 is the strap reference, not the date. Whilst the "expert" referred to it as '75, personally I don't believe Omega existed in 1175!
    Bezel is not ceramic.
    Valuation seemed to be about £1K to £2K high.

It was in nice condition though.