closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Eur Ing / FEANI members on here?

Any Eur Ing / FEANI members on here?

If so, just wondering how long it took from application to registration (assuming the application was successful)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    If so, just wondering how long it took from application to registration (assuming the application was successful)?
    It's been quite a while since I became a Eur Ing, so I can't remember how long it took, but I don't remember it being overly long. It might be worth asking on the (mostly moribund, I'm afraid) group on LinkedIn, if you have an account there.

I must admit that I have never found any use for it - most employers don't know what it is, very few web forms allow you to enter it as a pre-nominal, and when you do use it you are likely to be addressed as "Dear Eur" or "Dear Mr Ing"!

Interesting fact: there are only two professional qualifications which are permitted to be used on UK passports. One is QC (Queen's Counsel), the other is Eur Ing!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    It's been quite a while since I became a Eur Ing, so I can't remember how long it took, but I don't remember it being overly long. It might be worth asking on the (mostly moribund, I'm afraid) group on LinkedIn, if you have an account there.

I must admit that I have never found any use for it - most employers don't know what it is, very few web forms allow you to enter it as a pre-nominal, and when you do use it you are likely to be addressed as "Dear Eur" or "Dear Mr Ing"!

Interesting fact: there are only two professional qualifications which are permitted to be used on UK passports. One is QC (Queen's Counsel), the other is Eur Ing!
    I think I now know the answer to my question, which is 6-8 weeks after the review meeting, so I should hear at the end of the month as that occurred at the start of September. I applied at Christmas, but my application seems to have get lost in my professional body's system before popping out in May (conspicuously after I asked them for an update), just in time to miss the last review meeting...

Similarly I can see no point in it whatsoever, but quite fancied becoming a European Engineer as part of my revolt against Brexit. And as I'm never going to get my doctorate or become a QC, it was the only realistic chance of getting some pre-nominals.

Unfortunately the only place it appears on a passport now is in the notes at the back. It appears that it can go on a driving licence if you wish.

Since it seems you have to be a Chartered Engineer to apply for Eur Ing, you can already use your CEng nominal.

I’m a Chartered Chemical Engineer, so can use the the title Mr. noTAGlove CEng MIChemE.

Therefore, I’d see no point of paying a sizeable fee to also add Eur Ing. It costs £300 for my professional subscriptions, so see no reason to pay even more.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Since it seems you have to be a Chartered Engineer to apply for Eur Ing, you can already use your CEng nominal.

I’m a Chartered Chemical Engineer, so can use the the title Mr. noTAGlove CEng MIChemE.

Therefore, I’d see no point of paying a sizeable fee to also add Eur Ing. It costs £300 for my professional subscriptions, so see no reason to pay even more.
    Ah, but you'd become Eur Ing noTAGlove CEng MIChemE which would be far more confusing for all concerned :-)

Do you find there's a significant point to your £300 a year for your CEng MIChemE?

Ah, but you'd become Eur Ing noTAGlove CEng MIChemE which would be far more confusing for all concerned :-)
    Actually (according to the Engineering Council anyway) he would become EUR ING noTAGlove CEng MIChemE.

(I had always understood it to be Eur Ing, but the Engineering Council (https://www.engc.org.uk/internationa...-registration/) say "It should always be written in capitals, in front of the name and any other ranks and titles eg EUR ING J Smith CEng")

Actually (according to the Engineering Council anyway) he would become EUR ING noTAGlove CEng MIChemE.

(I had always understood it to be Eur Ing, but the Engineering Council (https://www.engc.org.uk/internationa...-registration/) say "It should always be written in capitals, in front of the name and any other ranks and titles eg EUR ING J Smith CEng")
    I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!

Master
    I am CEng MIMechE but never bothered with Eur Ing, did not and do not see the point. Keep getting bombarded with invitations to become FIMechE and do not really see the point of that either.

Do you find there's a significant point to your £300 a year for your CEng MIChemE?
    Nope. Apart from allowing me to keep my registered professional status. I do get a monthly magazine which I don’t read.

Work allow me to expense my professional subs.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Nope. Apart from allowing me to keep my registered professional status. I do get a monthly magazine which I don’t read.

Work allow me to expense my professional subs.
    Ditto. If work didn't allow me to expense my subs I'd not bother

Master
    I have always thought I would not have been able to do in my career what I have done without it. But maybe I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I have always thought I would not have been able to do in my career what I have done without it. But maybe I am wrong.
    The career stuff is nice enough, but getting down to the important stuff - cold hard filthy lucre. Chartered Chemical Engineers earn significantly more (something like +30%) than the non-chartered counterparts.

Good or bad, pointless or otherwise, whatever, I've got the notification today and I made the grade...

EUR ING Gyp BSc(Hons) MBCS CEng CITP

Congratulations, EUR ING Gyp.

I trust that Mrs Gyp's sister will be suitably impressed :-)

Congratulations, EUR ING Gyp.

I trust that Mrs Gyp's sister will be suitably impressed :-)
    I'll be seeing her tomorrow. I'll check.