closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying an iPhone in the USA

Buying an iPhone in the USA

Off to the US in 3 weeks and wife wants to upgrade her SE.

I realise that if I buy an iPhone in the USA, the warranty is not transferable to the UK and I’d have to travel/ship the phone back to the USA to have it repaired if it failed in the first year.

Therefore, for that reason I’m not planning to lump $1000+ on an iPhone 11.

But, John Lewis are still charging £379 for an iPhone 7, and I can pick up the same unlocked phone in Walmart for $299 (~£265 with tax and exchange rate). So thinking this is worth a punt even with the risk of no warranty.

Is there anything else I need to worry about, or will a US iPhone just work in the UK

I believe AppleCare+ is worldwide. In the past I have bought an iPad in the US and had it replaced in the UK.

Apple warranty is worldwide. You may have issues with 4G however as the different models of the same phone will have different frequencies/spectrums so you may have issues there.

Safer to stick to iPads in America.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Apple warranty is worldwide.
    Sorry, but you are wrong on this one. Not worldwide for 4 of Apple’s product range. Here’s the warranty information for Apple products bought in the USA. Warranty is not guaranteed on iPhone and iPad.

Searching the web gives many cases where Apple have not honoured a US warranty abroad on iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty...cument-us.html

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE, iPAD, APPLE TV and HOMEPOD SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and HomePod to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Apple warranty is worldwide. You may have issues with 4G however as the different models of the same phone will have different frequencies/spectrums so you may have issues there.

Safer to stick to iPads in America.
    Phones should work, see this: - https://willmyphonework.net/

It looks like there are two models available, GSM and CDMA. You need the GSM model in the UK. It also needs to be unlocked.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/LTE/#iphone-11-pro

Craftsman
    I bought an iphone from apple, therefore not affiliated to any network when in the states last year and had no issues when setting up in the UK. Only problem (which is hardly a probem) is it obviously doesnt come with a UK plug attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I believe AppleCare+ is worldwide.
    Not according to this link

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8328908

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It looks like there are two models available, GSM and CDMA. You need the GSM model in the UK. It also needs to be unlocked.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/LTE/#iphone-11-pro
    Thanks for that. Walmart are selling CDMA, so it looks a no go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    After you buy the phone you can add on AppleCare+ directly from the phone within the first 60 days of purchase. When you go into settings it will show a promt to add AppleCare+ directly beneath your iCloud account. If you go through the buying process it will be linked to your UK iCloud account so will be valid. You will have to run a diagnostic app on the phone which checks to make sure it is in working order.

I buy all my iPhones in the US for use here and UK .
    My wife travels a lot and simply swaps out UK and TCI SIM cards .
    The only difference is the block as the cable is the same and they are easy to source if you haven’t already got one.

One option if you want to save a bit more is to order from the refurbished section on the website and arrange pick up in a store of your choice.

You will get a small trade in on the SE if you want too .

Is there not in import tax and VAT amount to be paid when you bring it back?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Is there not in import tax and VAT amount to be paid when you bring it back?
    Your duty free allowance is goods up to £390, so no duty to pay on an iPhone 7.

There would be duty to pay if you bought an iPhone 11.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong on this one. Not worldwide for 4 of Apple’s product range. Here’s the warranty information for Apple products bought in the USA. Warranty is not guaranteed on iPhone and iPad.

Searching the web gives many cases where Apple have not honoured a US warranty abroad on iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty...cument-us.html

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE, iPAD, APPLE TV and HOMEPOD SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and HomePod to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.
    If you have a CDMA phone from North America then apple can't swap it out at the genius bar in the UK as they don't stock that service part. That's the only thing I can think of and the only thing I experienced when I worked there although that was a few years ago now.

Craftsman
    Just got a message from my wife in US this morning on this.

I am a bit confused.

It seems that they sell GSM and CDMA versions as standard in US.

Will US iPhone work and functional as a UK iPhone with the issue being lack of serviceability in the UK?

Have to be binary with the wife or else it gets tangential (and not in a good way!)

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiloman View Post
    Just got a message from my wife in US this morning on this.

I am a bit confused.

It seems that they sell GSM and CDMA versions as standard in US.

Will US iPhone work and functional as a UK iPhone with the issue being lack of serviceability in the UK?

Have to be binary with the wife or else it gets tangential (and not in a good way!)

Thanks
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5211111