closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baby's First Zeno...

Baby's First Zeno...

I'm somewhat fascinated by the haunted ruins of this abandoned ghost-forum - why is it here? Who were these people from the dim'n'distant days of yesteryonk? Whither the once-teeming throngs? &c. - and that got me looking through the current Zeno catalogue on time-design's website, which is where I spotted quite what amazing value Zeno seem to offer - that inevitably led to another short, brutal case of Wallet Rape.

I hate myself, but it asked for it...

I've wanted a white-dial diver for a while, I like enormous hefty tool watches that are the nearest legal wear to a knuckle-duster, and my eye was taken by the Pro Diver 2 range immediately: clean dial layout, modern design cues, and a terrific spec sheet - 500M WR, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, brushed matte finish, chunky crown, short lugs and huge size (48mm nominal, 57mm He-valve to crown, 17.8mm deep) to overcompensate for my inadequacies in the trouser dept. Choice of ETA 2824 auto as the premium option or Ronda quartz at an even more modest price - which is a bonus, because I prefer quartz for daily wearers, of which this would be one.

Placed an order online, and barely 24 hours later . . .

An adorably cute, dinky little Zeno Explorer Military arrived . . . !!!

Quite how those two got mixed-up is beyond me! So back that went while James sorted a replacement and I had a brief (and deeply unsuccessful) holiday. This morning, this arrived, Special Delivery:

This is - in all senses - a LOT of watch for the £355 it currently commands brand new. Its overall quality and execution exceeds any of the far-eastern offerings from manufacturers large and small at around this price level that I have had through my hands, and there is Very little about it that I can find fault with. The glossy, slightly dished ceramic insert in the bezel is just lovely, the simple, well-executed handset also gladdens my heart, everything is very tactile, the brushed finish does a good job of minimising fingerprints and general grot, the domed sapphire crystal a joy, and the clarity of the dial pretty-much unparalleled. It looks and feels like it will still be telling accurate time 200 years from now - albeit on the wrist/foreleg/wobbly-pseudopodium of our new, post-apocalyptic, rat/cockroach/mutant overlords...

Where its relatively modest price reveals itself is with a second hand that lands square in the middle of the indices, and a lack of lume in the bezel. The dust-magnet silicone strap is from the pricier automatic version, but has a polished not brushed buckle and rather badly-placed embossed logo on the noon side that is always at least part-covered by the excess strap and keepers. I don't find Zeno's routine lack of AR coating an issue in the slightest (I'd sooner have none than a cheap coating that flakes), but were it me at the drawing board, I'd have omitted the date window, or placed it within a raised index, or at the very worst put it at 4.30 or 6 in a round window! Oh well ... at least it's colour matched and doesn't have a silly little frame!

Oh, it'll wreck a few door-jambs, too - but you should already know that if you're buying a whopper of a watch!

If that sounds like a lot of criticism, these are but minor quibbles compared to the awesomeness of the Good Stuff! I love it, I am smitten and I am really going to enjoy this big, hairy brute!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'm somewhat fascinated by the haunted ruins of this abandoned ghost-forum - why is it here? Who were these people from the dim'n'distant days of yesteryonk?
    Eddie used to sell Zeno watches, hence this section of the forum. No idea why he stopped selling them though.

Lynn bought me this one from Eddie as a birthday present....

I've since bought a few other Zeno's, including one for my eldest Son.

Excellent value for money watches, (though some people dislike the aeroplane)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Eddie used to sell Zeno watches, hence this section of the forum.
    Ah! The plot thinnens!

Lynn bought me this one from Eddie as a birthday present....

I've since bought a few other Zeno's, including one for my eldest Son.

Excellent value for money watches, (though some people dislike the aeroplane)
    And very nice it is. I like the little aeroplane - nowhere near as silly as - say - a blingy little crown, for instance...

And very nice it is. I like the little aeroplane - nowhere near as silly as - say - a blingy little crown, for instance...
    Agreed, and don't forget the super silly ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX all around the rehaut!

Here are a few more of mine

Magelano

Date Pointer

And the infamous ZEX

Best Regards - Peter

Agreed, and don't forget the super silly ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX all around the rehaut!
    Chortle...

Here are a few more of mine

Magelano

All good, but That is On Point, baby!

Chortle...

All good, but That is On Point, baby!
    Thank you. I rather like it too.

They seem more popular abroad than they do in the UK. Saw these in a Jewellers window in Split

Best Regards - Peter

I would leave a Lot of nosegrease on that window!

Trying the Pro Diver on a suede camo strap today - and liking it!

Master
    Zeno also made some of the early Timefactors watches, including the now defunct Broadarrow branded ones (pesky Omega). You sometimes find Zeno branded models based on Eddies designs. Some still have his “Platts Richmond Spencer“ PRS-# engraving on the caseback.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    Zeno also made some of the early Timefactors watches, including the now defunct Broadarrow branded ones (pesky Omega). You sometimes find Zeno branded models based on Eddies designs. Some still have his “Platts Richmond Spencer“ PRS-# engraving on the caseback.

Dave
    Thanks, interesting. Given that sounds mildly sketchy on their part, credit to the lad for keeping this subforum rolling.

Still besotted with the Pro Diver, only downside so far is my Mrs spotted that I was wearing something new - which with her eye for detail is unusual, so a certain amount of urine-extraction concerning my addiction followed...

Apprentice
    I have the Zex. I think its a cracker, definite keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by solidstate100 View Post
    I have the Zex. I think its a cracker, definite keeper.
    Pics please!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying the Pro Diver 2 on a Eulit "Stalux" bracelet today - £60 well spent, beautiful quality with the sole exception of the split pins (and that's the principle rather than the execution!), and it could do with some micro-adjustment.