closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex bracelet question

Rolex bracelet question

The last few nights when I've taken off my Explorer I've noticed a small black smudge on my wrist, and it's caused by something blackish (oil?) coming out between two of the fixed links in the bracelet.

Any ideas what it is?

My main concern would be that it's a sign of something going wrong with a bracelet pin. It's a daily wearer, but I keep my watch clean, so I don't think it's dirt or suchlike that's ingressed. And it's approaching it's third birthday, so it isn't old. I'll pop the bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner over the weekend, but could it be something that warrants more attention?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    The last few nights when I've taken off my Explorer I've noticed a small black smudge on my wrist, and it's caused by something blackish (oil?) coming out between two of the fixed links in the bracelet.

Any ideas what it is?
    This happens sometimes in my experience. General gunge in my experience. It can even be something like a small spider that got trapped in the links and has been mushed up (happened to me).

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I keep my watch clean, so I don't think it's dirt or suchlike that's ingressed.
    You won't necessarily know it was there and because it's between the links you won't be able to see it.

I suggest giving a very liberal wash and scrub in running water and see if it comes back.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's crud Sean, just take the bracelet off and stick it in a ultrasonic bath for a couple of runs.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    It's crud Sean, just take the bracelet off and stick it in a ultrasonic bath for a couple of runs.
    +1

I noticed a little one day over the summer, ultra sonic bath and a good wipe down had it all sorted

Grand Master
    It’s dirt that’s acting like grinding paste to produce a very fine slurry, wear in the links and pins eventually creates the ‘stretch’ effect! Suggest you give the bracelet a very thorough clean. A cheap ultrasonic bath will help, hot water and washing up liquid in a jar placed in the bath is the most convenient way, dangle the bracelet and jangle it around. Alternate this with washing and cleaning using a soft toothbrush, until no more dirt comes out.

Just treated a watch this way and it took several cycles till it was thoroughly clean, surprising how tenacious the dirt can be. Better to clean them frequently and prevent it building up, besides being unpleasant dirt really does causes the pins to wear eventually, this isn’t a myth.

Thanks everyone! Good to know it isn't anything more serious. The bracelet will get a darn good clean now!