closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a secondhand iPhone

Buying a secondhand iPhone

OK i need to get an iPhone for my mum nothing too crazy spec wise probably an 16/32GB iPhone 6 unlocked - i have tried on SC and a WTB for 6 months but either the spec isn't right or i miss the deal.

Has anyone used a mail order / website place for secondhand iphones? I really don't want to try Ebay for obvious reasons! A shop would do as well i live in Bristol if anyone has local knowledge on this..

Thanks for any suggestions...

I have no experience buying second hand, I’ve always been the seller. I would suggest a 6S as the minimum since it is supported in iOS 13 where the 6 isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I have no experience buying second hand, I’ve always been the seller. I would suggest a 6S as the minimum since it is supported in iOS 13 where the 6 isn’t.
    OK thanks - 6S it is then!

Have a look at a branch of CEX near you, at least you can actually see and touch the phone before you buy.

Master
    This is a company run by a college of mine, very well regarded.

http://www.theilab.co.uk

No idea on pricing / value for money vs the cash exchange (or whatever they are called) type places, but might be worth a go.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Have a look at a branch of CEX near you, at least you can actually see and touch the phone before you buy.
    OK thanks there's one in the centre, that might work. I presume they're a step up from Cash Convertors ; ) !

Craftsman

Buying a secondhand iPhone

I’ve had some good reconditioned stuff from the IOutlet.

They are based in the SW.

Make sure the phone has been correctly signed out of iCloud to ensure there is no activation lock on it.

The staff at CEX should be more knowledgeable than at CC about things being fully signed out of iCloud and fully reset.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    OK thanks there's one in the centre, that might work. I presume they're a step up from Cash Convertors ; ) !

Craftsman
    I'm an Applephobe but bought my last few (Samsung) phones from www.musicmagpie.co.uk and been happy with price/quality. Unlike Ebay where I've had to send phones back because they weren't UK models and kept dropping off the phone network.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I'm an Applephobe but bought my last few (Samsung) phones from www.musicmagpie.co.uk and been happy with price/quality. Unlike Ebay where I've had to send phones back because they weren't UK models and kept dropping off the phone network.
    Bought a few items from musicMagpie and had no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    OK i need to get an iPhone for my mum nothing too crazy spec wise probably an 16/32GB iPhone 6 unlocked - i have tried on SC and a WTB for 6 months but either the spec isn't right or i miss the deal.

Has anyone used a mail order / website place for secondhand iphones? I really don't want to try Ebay for obvious reasons! A shop would do as well i live in Bristol if anyone has local knowledge on this..

Thanks for any suggestions...
    iPhone 6 for £98.99
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Free-...gAAOSwft9cr19O

iPhone 6s for £133.19
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Free-...0AAOSwA5tbh7dX

Its the Argos refurb store on eBay, enter the code PLEASED and you'll have a refurbed iPhone 6 for £98.99, that's a good deal for you...

Craftsman
    Giffgaff do refurbed as well as new phones. All phones come unlocked and refurbed one’s come with a 12 month guarantee. https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phon...MaAtvWEALw_wcB

An SE is basically a 6S in a 5 case if you were looking for something smaller.
    Last edited by Motman; 27th September 2019 at 21:11.

+1 vote for CEX and they offer a free two year warranty too on all their phones

Craftsman
    fwiw - I have bought 3 iphones from private sellers on ebay. 5s used unlocked, 7 plus used unlocked and 8 new. All good buys and no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

CeX, either b&m or mail order..
    Last edited by VDG; 28th September 2019 at 12:03.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I’ve bought both an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 8 used from amazon and they were both like new with 96 and 98% battery health. Also come with a year warranty. I’d recommend the service and prices were competitive. I think they have 6s’ as well.

Op , dont discount Ebay ! If you use Paypal anything wrong it goes back and money returned. I have purchased a few phones from Ebay with no problems just look for the ones with all the boxes , charger and as new as poss .

I’ve recently nought my daughter an iPhone from Music Magpie - all good, can recommend

Bought my sons iPhone 7 from Music Magpie on eBay, used an eBay discount code to get 20% off. No issues with it all, would recommend. My wife still rocks an SE which as others have said is a 6S in a smaller case, so may be preferred more by newbies, technophobes or those with smaller hands.

I've bought ipad minis and iphone for CEX local and online for eldest for school/ personal use, all been as described and still working fine (other than first mini but that was due to a bellend at school)
    ETA get 32GB as 16GB creeks and if your mum goes nuts with the camera you'll be round all the time backing them up etc.
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 28th September 2019 at 12:24.

On seeing this post I ordered a 32GB iPhone 6S in gold for my daughter for Christmas. The PLEASED code worked so I paid £133 delivered. It's absolutely immaculate in every way and battery power is 100%.

Great deal thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    iPhone 6 for £98.99
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Free-...gAAOSwft9cr19O

iPhone 6s for £133.19
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Free-...0AAOSwA5tbh7dX

Its the Argos refurb store on eBay, enter the code PLEASED and you'll have a refurbed iPhone 6 for £98.99, that's a good deal for you...

It's absolutely immaculate in every way and battery power is 100%.
    Do you mean the battery health? It must have had a new battery if so.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 7th October 2019 at 15:02.

Master
    One thing to bear in mind about CeX - they are good about honouring their warranty seemingly BUT I don't think they do any testing beyond absolute basics on hardware they sell. I cheaped out and bought a used PS4 from them earlier this year.. got it home and it was DISGUSTING.. like I've no idea what crack house it came from but the state of the anti-bac wipes after I finished cleaning it over was quite shocking, not to mention crud in all the ports / vents. It was dreadful. I complained and got a £10 voucher.

But it had a fault with the optical drive and so I took it in.. after a quick test they agreed it was faulty and exchanged it for another. This one was also dodgy - basically the fans ramping up to full speed once the system had been on for 20 mins or so... suggesting the heatsink was full of dust. So instead of taking it back I decided to strip it, clean it, and reassemble. Has been fine since and works nice and quietly now and thankfully this one was fairly clean.

So I guess I'd say, after that ramble, check it over for faults carefully.. anything you're not happy with take the damn thing back. They obviously don't check the hardware they sell and no refurbishment of any kind if happening at all and just get it in and flip it straight on. So bear that in mind before buying!

Apologies, no idea why I said power. Yes the battery health is 100% so I assumed it has a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Do you mean the battery health? It must have had a new battery if so.

Always use a method where you can return it.

Twice I have bought an iphone 7 and both times they had aftermarket screens fitted so I returned.

You can tell when you know what they look like, they don't get as bright and the whites are not as white and they are not quite as responsive.

they never usually say the screen has been bodged either

Master
    Just check with friends and acquaintances for when they're getting upgrades. I just bought a boxed fully reset 8 64gb, albeit with a small corner crack, from a friend of my Daughter's for £80.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Just check with friends and acquaintances for when they're getting upgrades. I just bought a boxed fully reset 8 64gb, albeit with a small corner crack, from a friend of my Daughter's for £80.
    That's a ludicrously cheap deal.