closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2 running 40+ year old Rolex Subs in Oxfam, Swanage

Master

2 running 40+ year old Rolex Subs in Oxfam, Swanage

Not for sale unfortunately! I was in there yesterday and another shopper was an old guy probably in his mid 60s, I noticed the old Sub on his wrist and then turned around to see another od guy in his 60s pointing at something to his wife and spotted the coronet on the clasp...trying to then see the watch but without being too intrusive I moved off to the far end of the shop and turned to see what seemed a small dial, explorer maybe I thought..no, as he walked out I saw it better, another old sub. I don't know vintage subs well but it tickled me to see these two. My guess, Swanage a seaside town...perhaps both old gents were fishermen or some other outdoor job back in their 20s and bought tough and waterproof watches. 40+ years later both looked to have been worn daily but still running well, and I guess now worth 10 to 20 times what they cost new. I nearly said, 'Nice watches gents' and showed them my Pelagos, but then I thought these guys just wear them, they don't obsess over them. I enjoyed seeing them though.

Master
    Cant recall the shop name, but years ago I used to pop into a jewellers in Preston on a side street off the main shopping street, owned by a very bad tempered old fellow who if you could get over his own unique brand of "customer service" usually had a few interesting watches for sale and other bits and pieces lurking in his safe. On one visit he produced a 1980's two tone sub, which I wasn't overly interested in but we got talking about them regardless. He and some friends all bought subs in the early 60's as young men as they were keen on water skiing in the lakes, I imagine on Windermere or similar and they wanted a waterproof watch, which Rolex of course proclaimed at the time and ever since.

Our relationship ended when he banned me from the shop for "under bidding" on a Tudor Prince Date he had, having asked me to make an offer!

The place closed down shortly afterwards, possibly with his passing and I often wonder what goodies were left behind in drawers and old boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Cant recall the shop name, but years ago I used to pop into a jewellers in Preston on a side street off the main shopping street, owned by a very bad tempered old fellow who if you could get over his own unique brand of "customer service" usually had a few interesting watches for sale and other bits and pieces lurking in his safe.

The place closed down shortly afterwards, possibly with his passing and I often wonder what goodies were left behind in drawers and old boxes.
    Hacklers on Lune Street. Norman was a grouchy ol' bugger at times. I think he had some nice watches through his hands, but no super-treasures. He passed away last year, after a long illness. One of the characters of the Preston jewellery trade!

MW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Hacklers on Lune Street. Norman was a grouchy ol' bugger at times. I think he had some nice watches through his hands, but no super-treasures. He passed away last year, after a long illness. One of the characters of the Preston jewellery trade!

MW
    Remember him well, Quite knowledgeable on Seiko's if I recall? Helped me out with a couple of period boxes. Sad to hear but not surprised at his passing.

Craftsman
    Living about 10 minutes from swanage, I was about to jump in the car!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post

MW
    Its the only watch shop I have been banned from ...generally on good behaviour

Master
    There's a fair few nice watches and clocks in and around Swanage a friend repairs clocks and is in Swanage very regularly.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Not for sale unfortunately! I was in there yesterday and another shopper was an old guy probably in his mid 60s, I noticed the old Sub on his wrist and then turned around to see another od guy in his 60s pointing at something to his wife and spotted the coronet on the clasp...trying to then see the watch but without being too intrusive I moved off to the far end of the shop and turned to see what seemed a small dial, explorer maybe I thought..no, as he walked out I saw it better, another old sub. I don't know vintage subs well but it tickled me to see these two. My guess, Swanage a seaside town...perhaps both old gents were fishermen or some other outdoor job back in their 20s and bought tough and waterproof watches. 40+ years later both looked to have been worn daily but still running well, and I guess now worth 10 to 20 times what they cost new. I nearly said, 'Nice watches gents' and showed them my Pelagos, but then I thought these guys just wear them, they don't obsess over them. I enjoyed seeing them though.
    Mid 60s ain't old ... but never mind … takes all sorts … but pleased to know you buy your shirts in OXFAM … likely dead mens'

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Haha, no offence dunk. I'd describe both as weathered by time outdoors and probably a physical working life, although at least one looked fit and healthy. Similar to the watches really.

Mid 60's , Swanage, Submariner's, those old chaps could have been ex SBS rocking Milsubs, you never know..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    without being too intrusive I moved off to the far end of the shop and turned to see
    I often find myself trying to surreptitiously get a good look at people's wrists. I'm pretty sure I am all too noticeable though. ;-)

Master
    Interesting and meandering thread. I can't add to it but I can appreciate it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk