closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advertising is coming for you...

Blog Entries

Advertising is coming for you...

...well, actually, it's waiting for you to come to it.

Grand Seiko to use state-of-the-art vehicle detection technology in outdoor advertising
    The Japanese brand is running high-impact digital advertising on Ocean’s tri-screen property on Holland Park Roundabout, targeting consumers based on the vehicle they are driving.

Vehicle detection technology allows brands to serve highly personalised, real time content which is only triggered when a handpicked vehicle type is directly in sight of the digital screen.

Ocean’s pioneering technology allowed Seiko and Cream to build a set of targeting criteria which determines whether a consumer fits the target audience profile and is shown an advert for Grand Seiko, the brand’s most premium product range.

When a vehicle pulls up at the Holland Park Roundabout traffic lights opposite the screens, Ocean’s clever proprietary software detects the model, age and fuel type of the vehicle.
    [...]
    Later this year, Seiko’s sports watch brand Prospex will utilise the same technology to identify sports and adventure cars, driven by consumers who fit the Prospex audience profile.
    Wouldn't it be cool if they could tie people's cars' registration plates to watch purchases... (Well, for certain creepy values of "cool")

I do wonder if choice of car really has much correlation with choice of watch, though. It's the kind of thing advertising agencies would like to believe and promote but I find it unlikely. Then again, I am an outsider in all things (which is, perhaps ironically, in part why I like GS so much!), so who knows.

Craftsman
    I like the idea of this, although in reality not sure I'd like to advertise to the world at large that I may be someone in a position to buy an expensive watch. Adverts based on cars would be ok, but would be a def no for ads based on car reg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    would be a def no for ads based on car reg.
    Ftaod, that's not happening (yet); that bit was just my idea. That said, that sort of very personal connection is inevitable at some point (more likely using facial recognition to begin with).

Blog Entries
    What a very strange approach to marketing. There are so many variables involved in this that could render the targeting invalid, when a simple ad that anyone could see would capture all potential targets passing the advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I do wonder if choice of car really has much correlation with choice of watch, though. It's the kind of thing advertising agencies would like to believe and promote but I find it unlikely. Then again, I am an outsider in all things (which is, perhaps ironically, in part why I like GS so much!), so who knows.
    Marketing customer profiling is pretty advanced and you'd be surprised how accurate, in general terms, it can be. There are always anomalies, but on the whole profiling people based on what car they drive is a good start.

For example Range Rover Vogues seem to be popular with middle-aged male company directors, White fiat 500's are popular amongst 18-25 year old girls. Say you had to advertise a new Taylor Made Golf Club, and a Kylie Jenner lip gloss to those two approaching cars, which advert do you push to each vehicle? It's all a bit sexists and stereotypical but ultimately we're all sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Marketing customer profiling is pretty advanced and you'd be surprised how accurate, in general terms, it can be. There are always anomalies, but on the whole profiling people based on what car they drive is a good start.

For example Range Rover Vogues seem to be popular with middle-aged male company directors, White fiat 500's are popular amongst 18-25 year old girls. Say you had to advertise a new Taylor Made Golf Club, and a Kylie Jenner lip gloss to those two approaching cars, which advert do you push to each vehicle? It's all a bit sexists and stereotypical but ultimately we're all sheep.
    That's funny.

Around here I mainly see yummie Mummies in Vogues and a friend of mine (male company director) has a Fiat 500, although it is an Abarth.

FWIW I used to be in the racket until I retired.

Personally I think aspirational advertising is best being shown to all but I'm probably old fashioned.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    For example Range Rover Vogues seem to be popular with middle-aged male company directors, White fiat 500's are popular amongst 18-25 year old girls.
    This is all great until the RR Vogues passing are being driven by the guys' wives or the 18-25 yr old girl is borrowing daddy's Passat Estate and they're missing opportunities.

Advertising is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    What a very strange approach to marketing. There are so many variables involved in this that could render the targeting invalid, when a simple ad that anyone could see would capture all potential targets passing the advertisement.
    I think the point is that, ultimately, a potentially different ad will be shown to each passing vehicle thus getting the most beneficial advertising out of the space available.

In reality, it’s no different to the targeted ads we all receive on the Internet because we have no choice but to accept cookies!

Was it the Minority Report film that showed targeted advertising based on facial recognition? Using vehicle profiles is getting close to this vision.

China is already using facial recognition tech as part of its social profiling initiative. Do wonder if that's a testing ground for targeted advertising too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think the point is that, ultimately, a potentially different ad will be shown to each passing vehicle thus getting the most beneficial advertising out of the space available.

In reality, it’s no different to the targeted ads we all receive on the Internet because we have no choice but to accept cookies!
    As I've mentioned above, there are so many variables as to render the approach irrelevant in many cases. The ads you receive on the internet are mostly because you've shown an interest in a certain type of product, service or event etc and are accurate for far more of the time. If you're going to place an ad on a wall or roundabout or whatever, make it open to anyone just in case your real target is driving their partner's car or a hire car or has taken the bike or is walking past or is a passenger in someone else's non-targeted car.