closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Ward opinions

Craftsman

Christopher Ward opinions

Looking for a reasonably priced low key watch for holidays/office wear and have been looking at the CW site and would like some owners opinions.

I know they get discounted frequently and don't hold value well but I like some of the designs and there not a Rolex clone.

See they use Sellita movements, any comment on timekeeping or reliability compared to an ETA.

Thanks

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads up, The fogged up watch was a sight.

I currently have 15 in the collection and plan to add another.
    Never had any issues and customer service for me has been excellent.

The main thing for me is a dislike of the branding - I just feel it could/should have been done so much better. I thought they would have framed it with the new flag emblem on the dials, but no.

Some of the watches look ok, but I'd rather have a Seiko, Ball, Hamilton, Certina and a whole host of other watches as far as brand goes - but if you like the looks of a particular model then go for it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    There are plenty of CW haters who will take the opportunity to tell you exactly what they think. I have had several over the years and have never had an issue with them. They are not for everybody just as not everyone likes Rolex or Seiko or even Eddie's watches etc etc etc.....it's just the way it is.
    If you are really interested then go for it, just make sure you wait for a sale and don't pay full price.

The first one is 11 pages long, the last page CW apologised and sent him a new watch. I have had several CW watches and several Seiko watches. I have sent one CW back for an issue and they came good. I sent a Seiko back once for a problem and it came back with a thumb print on the rotor and when I sent it to an independent found out Seiko has actually done nothing to repair the issue.

I am not sure what your point is with those links.

Your welcome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Looking for a reasonably priced low key watch for holidays/office wear and have been looking at the CW site and would like some owners opinions.

I know they get discounted frequently and don't hold value well but I like some of the designs and there not a Rolex clone.

See they use Sellita movements, any comment on timekeeping or reliability compared to an ETA.

Thanks
    CW make good quality watches, many of which are very nice, depending on your own styling preferences.
    The logo polarizes people, with more people disliking than liking it but thats a subjective thing.

The big issue with CW is their sales that slash up to 50% off the price of their watches. It makes them seem like a something you could get on a shopping channel & really degrades the value of the brand. If one is foolish to pay full price for one, it will never be shifted for much more than 25% of what they paid for it. Always wait for the sale the week before fathers day, and keep an eye on their site & twitter for flash sales.
    If you like the watch and can get it at a significant discount, without any plans to flip it in the near future without making a significant loss, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The first one is 11 pages long, the last page CW apologised and sent him a new watch. I have had several CW watches and several Seiko watches. I have sent one CW back for an issue and they came good. I sent a Seiko back once for a problem and it came back with a thumb print on the rotor and when I sent it to an independent found out Seiko has actually done nothing to repair the issue.

I am not sure what your point is with those links.

Your welcome.
    It's "you're".

Master
    Had several CWs over the years. Each has performed impeccably. Their new GMTs are rather gorgeous.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    All I can offer is that I've sold a number of watches, and my c60 trident is the only watch I completely regret letting go. To the point that I've signed up to Facebook and joined the CW page, emailed CW, just to try and get another. Unlike other brands, it was not really an homage, it was just a brilliant original execution of a dive watch. Only criticism was shame on any company who sell a dive watch on leather. If I saw that model hit ebay etc, I'd break my rule and use my credit card to buy then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's "you're".
    So what’s the point of the links?

You know, rather than focusing on grammar.

Craftsman
    There is nothing good about Christopher Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    There is nothing good about Christopher Ward.
    Ridiculous.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Had several CWs over the years. Each has performed impeccably. Their new GMTs are rather gorgeous.

I have to agree the first impression is rather good. Even the writing, which I’m not that keen on, works quite well at 9 which is an unusual touch. But then you notice another logo at 12, so it feels like it has two logos but doesn’t know where to put them, and then the final killer blow of the trident second hand, in a completely different style to the rest of the watch. So it’s back to near miss I’m afraid!

I’ve had c60 for 4 years and it’s been faultless. Great customer service too, decided I didn’t like the bracelet after a few days and they swapped for a rubber and leather strap with no quibble. It a well finished watch, and my go to for holidays.

I'd be thinking very seriously about this if it wasn't for the CW script at 9 o'clock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'd be thinking very seriously about this if it wasn't for the CW script at 9 o'clock.
    Me too.

I guess I should thank CW for saving me money because of their awful logo!

Letraset.

Craftsman
    Had one several years ago and had some excellent customer service when it was stolen in a burglary.

Newer stuff looks lovely... But that new branding. I really don't know who signed that off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Letraset.
    Hah!

Yes, their new branding just isn't right imo. Nice watches though, usually. But not for me with the current logo.

I've seen their ads in the tube and on the plane magazines, it's interesting.
    They do have nice watches despite the logo and I don't agree with their price positioning.
    Seems to me they are stetching their luck.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    CW were a brand that grew my passion for watches in general. I have one in my collection. I would not buy anything in their current line up. The logo is just plain horrid. First being justified to the left. They have tried to centralise on some recent models but the font is just horrific. Come on CW you have the potential just admit you have made a grave error and change the branding!

And let's not get started on the constant sales...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The Moonglow is quite nice though.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...se-glow-693513

I really wish they would sort their logo out. It looks like they have purchased a load of generic Chinese watches and whacked their name on it the cheapest way possible.

A friend at work has a few and they are well made but my brain just cannot are passed their logos.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I have to say that although I have had quite a few CWs since they started ,I have never really got to grips with any logo since the original.
    That said I actually do like this and have kept it!
    (I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I have to say that although I have had quite a few CWs since they started ,I have never really got to grips with any logo since the original.
    That said I actually do like this and have kept it!
    (I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea)

Got that, w bracelet option too. It's a neat watch w retro appeal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Oh that is very nice. Still a shame about the logo imo, although for some reason it doesn't look as out of place to me on that watch compared to many of their other watches.

I've actually ordered one today. Interested to see how it is in the flesh. Agree the logo is in a strange position but I drive a Discovery 5 so it's the least of my problems!

I can’t get over the logo placements at 9 o clock...

Master
    I have a few CW watches, they have all been good quality at their price point. I preferred the original logo where the name was more discrete than in later changes. They should have left it with just the w inside the large C logo and no name.

The only CW I ever fancied was one of the C70 series (the Brooklands). There were a number of variants and think some had COSC certification. They do crop up on eBay from time to time but prices seem high. Probably a marmite watch but each to his or her own.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Given that quite a few of us don't have a liking for the CW script at 9 o'clock, wouldn't it have made commercial sense to get the logo right before messing up the dials so much?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Given that quite a few of us don't have a liking for the CW script at 9 o'clock, wouldn't it have made commercial sense to get the logo right before messing up the dials so much?
    Are us WIS the target market though? Here a watch will be picked apart and dissected on build quality, style, movement etc etc. But we're a small demography really, so I'm assuming their target demographic is someone who wants an auto that looks nice with a shirt, is cheaper than a luxury brand, but won't pick it apart too much.

Apprentice
    I have Rolex, Omega, Tudor and IWC. I have just recently fallen for some CW watches. At the price point I think they are really good looking watches and have added a couple to the collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Are us WIS the target market though?
    I doubt it, given CW advertises on the Tube and in-flight magazines.

Yes it is a nice looking watch, even with logo. Shame though they couldn't manage to time their release with the 50th anniversary, some three months back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Their new military collection has their logo at twelve o’clock.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...ces-collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I doubt it, given CW advertises on the Tube and in-flight magazines.
    Although a lot of the big names could do with taking a leaf out of their book in terms of photography.

Their watches always look good in photos, I've found they don't seem so good in the metal, but those were, to be fair, earlier models and priced a fair bit lower than their current ones, so they were decent enough at their price point, just not as good as their ads make them look!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Their new military collection has their logo at twelve o’clock.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...ces-collection
    Not sure about the military tie in but I like the Dartmouth one from that collection and the C60 Trident GMT's. That moon phase one looks v interesting as well..

Having the name at 9 is not a big deal for me really and i think they have some nice looking watches..

Journeyman
    I like the look of their watches but i feel they really messed up when they changed their logo. Having christopher ward across the face of the watch looks terrible in my opinion. And it puts me off buying one. Other than that ya id probably get one

I have ZERO problems with the logo or it’s placement.
    CW make some decent watches and zi have been pleasantly surprised by the quality.
    Would still struggle to buy their pricier models and so have bought preowned or during the sale and feel are excellent VFM that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have ZERO problems with the logo or it’s placement.
    CW make some decent watches and zi have been pleasantly surprised by the quality.
    Would still struggle to buy their pricier models and so have bought preowned or during the sale and feel are excellent VFM that way.

I pretty much feel the same way the logo placement is a complete non-issue for me and the build quality is superb.

Journeyman
    I was always really drawn to Christopher award, and have been close in many occasions over the last 5/6 years to going for one. Part of the draw was the idea of a small brand with great after sales.

However that’s certainly been thrown into doubt after reading a few of the linked to forum posts.

I really like the look of some of the now discontinued models, like the C20 Lido, but am a bit put off by buying a used one and using their servicing. Although the crux really comes back to my need to find a good reliable local watchmaker who I can use to service my ever growing collection.

I’m also very attracted towards the moonphase and the 5.65mm Malvern.

I was hoping to get one but it wasn't to be. Ordered one but they failed to deliver within the stated time. No communication, other than an email confirming I'd unsubscribed to their newsletter. I hadn't. Emailed to tell them I hadn't unsubscribed and had in fact placed an order. No reply. I left it a few days and emailed to query delivery. No reply to that email for over 36 hours. Said they'd had a 'slight delay' but could despatch the next day. Rightly or wrongly, I'd lost confidence in them and cancelled the order. If they can't be bothered to communicate promptly with a new customer, what chance have you got when something goes wrong? A pity because the watches look good value and I like some of the designs.

Craftsman
    Christopher Ward make some lovely watches but the branding/logo placement puts me off along with RRP's which vary wildly with their sales etc.

Craftsman
    Roger Smith wears one, and calls it incredible quality and value.

I agree with him, great quality and excellent value, especially if you can get the one you want at 30% or 50% off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Roger Smith wears one, and calls it incredible quality and value.

He doesn't know as much as us.... ;-)

Journeyman
    Has anyone tried either the Moonphase or Moonglow watches?
    I really like the look of them but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    Has anyone tried either the Moonphase or Moonglow watches?
    I really like the look of them but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?
    The CW website still has it as ‘pre-order for the end of October’