closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help please - fashion tat

Help please - fashion tat

I’ve looked at my daughters gold plated Gucci today, as usual just dumped wherever she happened to be, and the plating seems quite badly tarnished. Not sure what has caused it but, with her, it’s probably something that turns her orange or makes the house smell so sickly we have to step outside for air!
    Any tips for cleaning this up without further damaging it would be most welcome. I know it’s not the usual type of watch for here but it was bought for her for a special occasion so has a lot of sentimental value to me, if obviously not to her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you buy it? A decent AD would give that a clean for you surely? I used to have a Cartier cleaning kit which was decent - but I see your point about the "gold" - how old is it?

Grand Master
    Are you sure it isn`t the gold plating that's rubbed through to the base metal?

It's probably been caused by cosmetics (body lotion or scent, for example) reacting with the coating. I don't think it'll be recoverable.

I doubt if it can be rectified without stripping the coating from the whole watch, then re-applying whatever it is that's been used to surface coat.
    Last edited by jwg663; 27th September 2019 at 11:39.
    ______

​Jim.

Is it lacquered brass and the lacquer is coming off?

If it was gold plated can't see why that would be coated with anything.

The Gucci website states that the watch pictured is 'yellow gold PVD', not gold-plated.

https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/je...ches/For-Women
    ______

​Jim.

Gold doesn’t tarnish, so it’s not that.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The Gucci website states that the watch pictured is 'yellow gold PVD', not gold-plated.

https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/je...ches/For-Women
    It’s the same thing really; the difference being that the gold is applied using the PVD process (physical vapour deposition) rather than electroplating.

The end result in either case is a thin layer of gold attached to the metal (in this case) substrate.

Thanks for the replies. I seem to be having some joy with washing up liquid and a cotton bud. It’s certainly better than it was but I think it’s going to take some time. I’m not sure if it has had anything spilt on it as I would expect it to have also soaked into the strap which is pristine.
    If all else fails I’ll try the AD as it’s only a year old and hasn’t had that much wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I think it's been said but that's essentially unrecoverable afaics.

Cleaning/polishing will just take off more of the gold layer. The brass underneath will probably go green eventually .

In principle it could be re-gold plated (or re-PVDed) but I've never heard of anyone who can do this reliably for one off end user customers (anyone know of someone?) and it would surely cost more than it was worth.