closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thanks Dad !

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks Dad !

When the Ferrari F40 was first revealed to the world in 1987 I was infatuated with it. I had posters of it all over my bedroom, books, models, VHS tapes etc. You can shove the Miura, 959, and Countach up your bum - the F40 is the real deal !

My dad promised that if he ever had the money he'd buy me one. I was only 13 at the time and I believed him, but things didn't pan out the way either of us wanted and he passed away in January this year leaving a few possessions and a small pension fund.

32 years later and I'm still infatuated with the F40. I would have one over ANY other car, new or old if I could. I've got more models, LEGO, pictures on canvas, books etc. It really is my dream car.

So... I've bought a numberplate with my inheritance. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to owning an F40, but my dad bought it for me, and that's all that matters. In my eyes he's (almost) kept his end of the bargain. (My initials are DS.)

Flame away... I really don't give a s##t if anyone else thinks it's naff. And yes I realise it's an 'O' not a '0', and it's obviously on my E320 and not on a Fezza.

Anyway, I like it and it will always remind me of my dad.

Thanks, Dad
    I love you
    X

(I've also got a set of legal plates in the boot in case I get stopped by the po-po.)

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

No flaming here. It means something to you and something tangible for you that let’s you have a thought for your dad every time you get in your car. That’s a good thing.

Craftsman
    Second best to an F40. Well done.

I guess you'll get some people rolling their eyes, but it's what it means to you after all.

Do the Euromillions and you might be able to afford the car to put it on!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I have always loved the F40, the engine on high revs is just one of the best noises you can hear, I like the plate and if it’s important to you that’s all that matters really, better than BOY 1 or ROY 2!

Master
    Good for you - a nice memory every time you get in your car

Blog Entries
    Nice one I reckon. And one day, who knows........
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

its ok with me too no flaming, its a emotion thing I get it , also dreams are what life is based on some come true some don't, it may take a lottery win but don't give up on your dreams

Great story and all that matters is that it means something to you.

I’ve had three E class estates and that’s the closest I’m ever going to get to owning an F40 too!

Master
    The only good reason to get such a plate. Good on you, and good on your dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice story, good for you for using the funds to help you remember the story and your Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Having legal plates in the boot is a sure sign your know it's illegal and I'd say more likely to end up in a fine. Dump them and play naive promising you'll buy some more and change them.

Indeed a great reason to buy such a plate, should bring a smile whenever you see it :)

Craftsman
    Good on you both! Nothing wrong there at all to me - something that you'll cherish and remember your father by.

Nice Mercedes by the way - but it's an unfortunate photo that makes it look like a taxi at first glance with the garage door pillar behind.

Master
    Brilliant what a lovely way to remember your Dad every time you see and use your car.
    My bit of my Dads inheritance went towards my Sub and it's an equally lovely reminder for me.
    Enjoy and don't forget to do the lottery ;-)

Nice story... F40 would be my lottery win car! Don't forget to enter the next draw :)

Go for it, whatever you want to do with the money is appropriate, and this more than most.
    I never thought to get a personalised number, until I planned customising a bike, and I found this direct from the DVLA for £250 - money well spent I think for my Triumph.

Life's too short to give a rats arse what anyone else thinks. It means something to you and reminds you of your father and that's priceless.

Mate I think that’s blooming fantastic I really do, my genuine admiration to both you and your Dad...

Master
    Really made me smile! Looks great and you'll remember your dad every time you see it - what's not to like??

Great story and a great way to hold a memory

Master
    Lovely story and definitely no flaming from here.

As for the F40, cracking car! I drove in convoy with one on the way to Le Mans a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Nice one, great way to remember your dad. My wife did the same when her gran passed away and left her a small amount of money.

Nice one and thanks for posting. Buying with your heart, that's great.

Master
    Nice post, made me smile 👌🏻

I think it's a lovely idea - great move

Lovely idea and with the sentimental attachment you’ve got a plate that you’ll hold onto.

I also agree about the F40. I was fortunate, when in London last April, that I saw this parked up outside Harrods.

I saw some amazing cars that day but the F40 was certainly the highlight.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 26th September 2019 at 22:15.

A member here’s father bought one new, there’s a photo in one of the car threads.

Yes, I’m jealous too

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Life's too short to give a rats arse what anyone else thinks. It means something to you and reminds you of your father and that's priceless.
    ^^^^^^This

Not usually fan of such plates but good for you (and I’m DS too).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback and comments guys... I should have known that you'd all understand.
    I have lottery tickets ready for this evening

I never really got on very well with my old man, but by f##k I miss him now he's no longer here

I can recall going along the M4 and pulling alongside an F40 a few years back, for a gawp as it was burbling along.
    The driver obliged, dropped a cog or two, and the F40 howled off into the distance like it was accelerating from standstill, even though it was starting from about 80.
    One of the most thrillingly visceral noises I have ever heard.

Journeyman
    lovely post. Bet it would have made your dad smile too

Master
    Lovely post - I'm sure your Father is very proud

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Another F40 fan here, although I think if pushed a 288GTO would come just ahead in the dream car stakes!

An F40 came past the house in convoy with a couple of lesser models (360s I think) a few weeks back while I was cutting the hedge - I nearly fell off my ladder...

Anyway, I'm loving the plate - consider it a statement of intent - I believe the Euromillions lottery is rather inviting this week.

A bit of a coincidence but just this week I was in the fortunate position to be able to treat my lad to an F40. Its an extravagance to be sure but its what he really wanted and worth it for the smile on his face...

OP its great to have something meaningful to you to remind you of your dad. I hope my boy (and girl) have some fond memories of me when I'm gone.

David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    When the Ferrari F40 was first revealed to the world in 1987 I was infatuated with it. I had posters of it all over my bedroom, books, models, VHS tapes etc. You can shove the Miura, 959, and Countach up your bum - the F40 is the real deal !

My dad promised that if he ever had the money he'd buy me one. I was only 13 at the time and I believed him, but things didn't pan out the way either of us wanted and he passed away in January this year leaving a few possessions and a small pension fund.

32 years later and I'm still infatuated with the F40. I would have one over ANY other car, new or old if I could. I've got more models, LEGO, pictures on canvas, books etc. It really is my dream car.

So... I've bought a numberplate with my inheritance. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to owning an F40, but my dad bought it for me, and that's all that matters. In my eyes he's (almost) kept his end of the bargain. (My initials are DS.)

Flame away... I really don't give a s##t if anyone else thinks it's naff. And yes I realise it's an 'O' not a '0', and it's obviously on my E320 and not on a Fezza.

Anyway, I like it and it will always remind me of my dad.

Thanks, Dad
    I love you
    X
    No flame. I think that's lovely.

Sorry for your loss but what a lovely story and special thing you have to remember your dad by.

Master
    Well done and great of you to share your story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that's super, as said your dad bought it so that's all that matters

one day some F40 owner may offer you silly money for it which I doubt you will part with it but if you did .... make sure you write up an agreement to get to drive it a day every year in exchange for selling it.
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 30th September 2019 at 10:07.