closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for my nephew

Master

Watch for my nephew

Nephew is 11 in a couple of weeks. He has asked his grandmother for a watch, and she's asked me for advice.

His criteria are white dial and black strap. Budget up to £60 or so.

I'm thinking quartz, simply because of his age, and the issue around accuracy. If it goes well, I may suggest an auto as some point, but not yet.

Sizewise, I think anything over about 36mm is going to swamp him.

My first stop is Swatch. reliable, funky and quite cool. I've had a few and still have two in my collection. I like them, and my son also has one (albeit an older one).

This would fit the bill:

Anyhing else I should consider?

Cheers!

Craftsman
    Definitely a Swatch! They're built like tanks and will look/feel like a "proper" first watch for him. I still have the one my old man bought me 25 years ago when i was that age

Craftsman
    That swatch is actually pretty nice.

Seiko Solar from Amazon comes on bracelet but nothing to pop a black strap on it yourself. £84.00 though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analo...=watch&sr=1-22

Casio MQ-24-7BLL
    £7.99 at Argos
    Maybe too cheap?

Journeyman
    When I first read this, I thought it doesn’t really matter what you might pick as it likely won’t be a big thing in his life and even if he gets into watches at a later date, it’s hard to second guess the market and pick something that he’ll keep and will end up cool.

But then I thought about my first watch, a Swatch Musicall that had gold hands that span round and played a tune by Jean Michel Jarre. I could still hum the tune now and it gave me great pleasure thinking about the 12 year old me getting it from the Swatch shop with my mum and dad on my birthday.

A Swatch with personality could be just the ticket. I reckon the way to go is to think with your child’s brain, not your watch aficionado’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Watch for my nephew

X
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ellgal; 26th September 2019 at 21:05. Reason: Duplicate post

Craftsman
    Swatch are absolutely brilliant for this sort of thing, feeling like an actual proper watch but not so precious they can't be bashed about or whatever.

Craftsman
    I bought my son a baby-G at 11 as I was convinced he would break anything else. https://babyg.casio.com/asia-mea/en/products/finder/

Master
    Thanks all- Swatch it is.

I also had one as my first proper watch, so good memories.

Baby G is a good call, but alot of schools don't like digitals. Also, the lad did specify analogue.

Master
    You cant go wrong with a swatch - however for a tad more how about a G Shock?

Quote Originally Posted by brummie64 View Post
    Seiko Solar from Amazon comes on bracelet but nothing to pop a black strap on it yourself. £84.00 though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analo...=watch&sr=1-22
    For an 11 yo I would have though that the look is all important. Maybe show him the pictures and make sure of the one he prefers?

Another couple of suggestions - Use Coupon Code CLEAR while checking out for an additional discount of 10%:

Master
    In case something more "sporty" is his preference how about a Lorus RRX89FX9

Stats include:

35mm case diameter

Rotating bezel

Hacking seconds

A little bit waterproof (50m)

Plenty of lume, on the hands (including the seconds hand) and the indices. It does just about last the night too.

Not bad for £20.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Craftsman
    I bought my wife a Swatch for our first wedding anniversary - it only lasted 2 years. Fortunately, I had the common-sense to buy a bi-metal Datejust for myself and that was happily going strong when I traded it 10 years later. Two things: wish I hadn't traded it; in my defence, I kept asking the wife if she only wanted a Swatch.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My lad is 10 and wears a CWC G10, loves it. You might be lucky and get one for around that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    In case something more "sporty" is his preference how about a Lorus RRX89FX9
    I wouldn't go with Lorus. In my opinion it's too...well, intentionally second class. ;-)

Seiko, Casio, Swatch, CWC, all good. Not Lorus.

Yes, yes, I know, I'm prejudiced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    My lad is 10 and wears a CWC G10, loves it. You might be lucky and get one for around that?
    I don't think decent condition G10s can be had for such a small amount any more. :-( Need to pay over £100 and it will still be second hand which might not be appreciated.