closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mid 1970's diver alternative strap / bracelet

Mid 1970's diver alternative strap / bracelet

I have an Eterna Kontiki Super 1973 re issue (supplied on a mesh), however to fit my slender wrists I would have to cut the mesh & I'm not sure I want to do that at the moment. This got me thinking about alternative straps & got me wondering as to what would be 'period correct-authentic' to keep it with a true 1970's vibe. Obviously I could just replace the Eterna mesh with a mesh that fits but what would be other 'authentic' options.

Beads of Rice
    Jubilee
    Oyster
    Leather
    Nato
    Rubber

I am leaning towards a Geckota beads of rice bracelet from WatchGecko but would this be period enough, what are your thoughts.

For a rubber strap, can’t get more 70s than a Isofrane or Tropic pattern.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Bonetto Cinturini 295 = very 70's diver

How about a shorter length original Tropic (assuming the lug width is 20mm)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...AAAOSwGIRXYm8K

beads of rice are a lovely funky addition to the right watch - definitely worth a look see

Master
    I always prefer older divers on black sharkskin straps. My favourite is a Hirsch Artisanal, but these seem to be no longer available. The Di Modell is a good alternative.

Master
    pic of my retro dan henry 1970 on the geckota BOR bracelet,might help you decide.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 26th September 2019 at 19:26. Reason: spelinn

Beads of rice is a great look in my opinion, super comfy and you don’t see many out and about.

I would go rubber

I wear my very similar ScubaPro on a vintage style rubber
    Very comfortable, I think it looks good and is in keeping with its age.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    pic of my retro dan henry 1970 on the geckota BOR bracelet,might help you decide.
    I have looked at the Geckota BOR bracelets in the past and actually have one for a Tissot that suits straight end links. However, yours has fitted endlinks. Are these available from Geckota?

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I have looked at the Geckota BOR bracelets in the past and actually have one for a Tissot that suits straight end links. However, yours has fitted endlinks. Are these available from Geckota?
    That is the exact same bracelet I have ordered today from Watchgecko, in answer to your question, yes, they now sell fitted end links for their BOR bracelet. For the Eterna I have ordered straight end links. I did try the watch on a 22mm shark mesh that I had lying around however I thought it felt as though it rubbed the case as the bracelet moved by the spring bars, the lugs are fairly short. That is why I have now ordered the BOR. If that ends up rubbing my third option will be orange ladder style rubber.

Either way a picture or two will be posted once it is on its new strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    yes,they cost about a fiver,when the watch is on the wrist the end link fit is perfect.they are a very versatile bracelet when you have both sets of ends.excellent quality and £58 ,imo great value

Craftsman
    For a 70tiesdiver always BOR, tropic or isofrane (imho)

I have the original IDF issued. The lugs are different so any new made bracelet the end pieces won’t fit. To bad they went with mesh instead of one like the original with spring loaded clasp and were you could remove links for a perfect fit, the ISO rubber strap your best bet. I have used them on my vintage one. Also Erika’s MN straps work good on them they give it that military look.
    Last edited by River Rat; 28th September 2019 at 10:21.

As promised, here are some pictures of the Eterna on the newly purchased WatchGecko Beads of Rice bracelet that I have fitted tonight. I must say it is superb quality, very comfortable, does not rub the case (short lugs) & looks, in my opinion. the business.

I was a big fan of the original mesh bracelet supplied with the watch it was just unfortunate that it did not fit my wrist & I didn't want to cut the bracelet. That was the only reason for buying a replacement bracelet. However, I am still tempted to buy an orange rubber strap (ladder style) as I think that would bring a whole new look to the watch, but keep that 1970's vibe. I wasn't sure I would be keeping this one, but I think I have been converted, it's a proper chunk of a watch with a lot of history behind it, what with the Kontiki expedition & the Israeli Defence Force issue. Thank you for your watch strap suggestions & I hope you enjoy my camera phone pictures.

Personally, I couldn't live with that shape case and a straight ended bracelet.

A matter of personal preference I guess, but it doesn't work for me.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Personally, I couldn't live with that shape case and a straight ended bracelet.

A matter of personal preference I guess, but it doesn't work for me.

M
    I appreciate its down to personal taste but the original (reissue) bracelet was a mesh which is a straight end bracelet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    I appreciate its down to personal taste but the original (reissue) bracelet was a mesh which is a straight end bracelet.

Mesh looks right,BOR looks all wrong for me,personal choice so enjoy yours,

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Mesh looks right,BOR looks all wrong for me,personal choice so enjoy yours,
    I agree the mesh does look better, however it doesn't fit my skinny wrists!! I didn't want to cut the mesh link by link to shorten it so I thought I would try to find a suitable replacement. It was a close call between the Beads of Rice & a ladder style rubber in Orange, as I wanted to maintain the '70's vibe. I did try a shark mesh I have at home but that rubbed the case & i didn't want to damage that. Maybe I should still try the rubber......