closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of Tudor...

Master

The future of Tudor...

....seems awfully bright! I will start by saying i am not a brand whore but for some reason have fallen for Tudor and this may impact what i type below!

I have been watching the brand for a number of years and have seen them gain in both popularity and respect among watch enthusiasts and non WIS folk alike. The important thing here is the non WIS folk. People who know nothing about watches are asking me about Tudor and what i think about the brand. THat in its self speaks volumes.

Starting with ETA movements and it coming with all there straps when you purchase a watch that offered them was terrific value. As popularity started to grow the extra straps were dropped which is fair and makes sense. As interest in the brand, although mainly the BB and pelagos range grew, the investment in branding and the watches also grew. In house movements being developed for the BB and pelagos watches, then the 58 and the trade with breitling for a good and now modified chronograph movement. This elevated the brand once more.

Deals with celebs (like it or not) brought the brand the masses and lately deals to sponsor the rugby world cup again will only serve the brand well in the long run. Seeing specific watches like the 58, GMT, Harrods edition and now the all black chrono being hard to get (not readily available on AD shelves) the brand seems to be heading in one direction.

I already hear people speaking about the black ETA with rose dial and crown being made for 6 months and being collectible. So the minutia of the ranges are already being talked about. I can imagine if the 58 is discontinued and new colour variants are released it will shoot up. Also, Tudor felt they were in a position to release a limited run watch which sold out straight away (Black bay Chrono dark).

With Rolex seemingly at the helm they seem to be going down the same path slowly but surely with marketing, building the brand and creating high demand for some of their watches. It feels like the next 5 years or so may be the sweet spot for Tudor from a buyers perspective as i am sure more price rises are on the way with one already happening earlier in the year.

It is interesting to watch the brand grow in stature and i hope they maintain the value proposition they do today.

Stu

Craftsman
    Nicely put - Is the Black Bay Chrono Dark sold out already?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    I believe so, yes. My AD was annoyed to not even be advised about it but such is life.

Excellent articulation of the phoenix-like rise of the brand over recent years. Personally, the combination of excellent styling, in-house movements and price make Tudor far more preferable to Rolex for those of us of limited means.

Craftsman
    I must admit i am a tudor fan
    I have a black bay s and g and a bronze and they get a lot of wrist time
    They are amazing value for money at the moment
    Roll on the sub

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Excellent articulation of the phoenix-like rise of the brand over recent years. Personally, the combination of excellent styling, in-house movements and price make Tudor far more preferable to Rolex for those of us of limited means.
    Indeed but sadly i can imagine in 10 years time people will reminiscing about sub 3k bb range when some variants may be double. I will certainly add more to my small but growing collection if they continue to catch my eye.

Journeyman
    I too am a Tudor fan, I think the BB and Pelagos range are probably the bulk of their sales (complete guess). Great watches and terrific value and if you compare with Omega I think they compare favourably.

Is bright

Journeyman
    Nicely written, I am a massive Tudor fan boy and In my option there is nothing on the market that can compete pound for pound.

If Omega keep on pushing their pricing upwards - and I note a recent thread on here about another price rise - then they're allowing Tudor a home-run in that £2k-£3.5k category that entices a lot of first-time 'luxury' watch buyers.

I do like Tudor, and in a lot of ways - pricing & availability obviously, but also styling & technology - they are more attractive than their 'big brother,' Rolex. Which I am sure is not coincidental at all.

Aside from my ETA Black Bay, which I love, I think the Pelagos, North Flag & Heritage Chronograph models are also some of the freshest & most interesting models to be introduced by any Brand in recent years (though they of course do take design cues from Tudor's past).

I recall someone knowledgable, Haywood perhaps, saying that Tudor's sales consisted almost entirely of Black Bays and the Pelagos, with everything else being left on the shelves. This was a while ago. Has anything changed?

Looking at buying a watch for my new born son to have as a birth year watch when he is 18 (or 21, will have to gauge what he is like when he's older) I went straight to Omega as that is what I own. Looking at the current range, I think the Seamaster is just too expensive now. This made me go back to the Tudor's. I think the BB58 is very much a watch of this year and will hold a certain rarity or interest it 18 years time. It's not about the monetary aspect, it's not being purchased as a speculative investment but equally it will be nice to have something that is a bit special to give him when he turns into an adult. Tudor over the past couple of years really have brought out some nice watches. There is a bit of a pastiche/retro styling about them that is obviously the flavour of the moment but I think they have hit the nail on the head with the way they have done it without being too retro/hipster.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic brand. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Fantastic brand. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
    +1

Master

I agree they’re great but do you really think celebs have brought something to the table?

I still don’t really see them as a brand joe bloggs is aspiring to own because lady Gaga does, I see their recent success owing more to the vintage boom and 5 digit subs getting further away from your average WIS. I’d guess their biggest market is us enthusiasts that love what they’re doing and trying to reach their lovely old subs.

All these silly celeb mash ups do for me is put me off.

I still hope/dream they’ll do a sub again (the again was for the people that constantly say “they’d never do a sub” even though they did a sub for decades which even had the same case & crown. Surely the Rolex maxi sub is even further apart from a potential 5 digit style Tudor sub)

If I was in charge at Tudor I’d be using the old military guys as ambassadors (who’d prob do it for the story) and I’d release a snowflake sub which the ambassador’s would wear as they told their stories on the Tudor YT channel and Instagram. Then the next year be hinting at a sub with merc hands and they’d clear up!
    Last edited by jameswrx; 25th September 2019 at 12:29.

Craftsman
    Nonentities such as Beckham and Gaga in my opinion have done nothing for the Tudor brand.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I agree they’re great but do you really think celebs have brought something to the table?

I still don’t really see them as a brand joe bloggs is aspiring to own because lady Gaga does, I see their recent success owing more to the vintage boom and 5 digit subs getting further away from your average WIS. I’d guess their biggest market is us enthusiasts that love what they’re doing and trying to reach their lovely old subs.

All these silly celeb mash ups do for me is put me off.

I still hope/dream they’ll do a sub again (the again was for the people that constantly say “they’d never do a sub” even though they did a sub for decades which even had the same case & crown. Surely the Rolex maxi sub is even further apart from a potential 5 digit style Tudor sub)

If I was in charge at Tudor I’d be using the old military guys as ambassadors (who’d prob do it for the story) and I’d release a snowflake sub which the ambassador’s would wear as they told their stories on the Tudor YT channel and Instagram. Then the next year be hinting at a sub with merc hands and they’d clear up!
    A snowflake sub in a good size (ie not huge) would be ideal.

Craftsman
    Two years ago I’d barely heard of them, but times have changed. Then started to think that they were just low end alternative Rolex models...

I’m now the very happy owner of a North Flag and BB58 and could see myself buying more. The quality is fantastic and I can’t imagine why I’d pay three times the money for a similar Rolex just for the name.

I also tried on a used two tone BB chrono this morning, I don’t do gold but it was very, very, nice Amazing that someone has flipped it already!

I really like Tudor, having bought a Pelagos in 2014 and subsequently adding others, most recently a BB58.

The attraction for me is that the Pelagos, North Flag and Black Bay range are a style that I like, with the added bonus of being produced by a brand with limited brand recognition amongst non WIS. Long may that continue.

Master
    Similarly i have grown fonder and fonder of tudor and picked up a Pelagos smurf at the weekend which I'm loving to bits. It seems to m thst big brother Rolex are pushing the brand upwards in cost/desirability and perhaps want to be up nearer PP, AP and such in a few years. They are pulling Tudor up behind them swiftly to compete with Omega....although Omega are pushing their pricing up too.

I'm not convincedpresent tudor wathces will be collectors pieces of the future, but perhaps

Master
    [QUOTE=I'm not convincedpresent tudor wathces will be collectors pieces of the future, but perhaps[/QUOTE]

This will be interesting to see unfold. I think they could be but time will tell. Ultimately if I like them and am lucky enough to be able to afford to but them then happy days. If they become collectible even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ajpac View Post
    Nonentities such as Beckham and Gaga in my opinion have done nothing for the Tudor brand.
    Nonentities such as Beckham and Gaga combined have 95 million followers on Instagram alone. (Tudor has 664k, Rolex 10 million). That's a huge amount of people who probably hadn't heard of the brand now have. If 1% of Gaga and Beckham's followers become a Tudor customer that's near on a million units sold.

They've both been retained as brand ambassadors, so as far as the Tudor marketing department are concerned they must be bringing in the numbers.

I’m a huge fan having only recently become completely infatuated with this whole watch thing. I’ve a BB58 and BBB and am saving for my next one. The styling is spot on and quality for the price is right up there. Especially for a relative newbie looking for something I like that is also affordable, albeit the definition of that word leaves some room for debate.

As for the celebs. I have zero interest in Beckham, Gaga, et al. However, my wife who has very limited interest in what’s on her wrist, is definitely interested and indeed swayed by what they are wearing. Witness the fact that she told me which watch Gaga wears and how much she likes it. I’ve had one on back order for her Xmas pressie now for 2 months.

I agree with everyone else here. A great brand that is definitely on the up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I'm not convincedpresent tudor wathces will be collectors pieces of the future, but perhaps

Pound for pound some old Tudor subs have gained way more value than the equivalent Rolex sub! A nice snowflake Tudor sub is harder to find than a Rolex of same vintage and very expensive now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Nonentities such as Beckham and Gaga combined have 95 million followers on Instagram alone. (Tudor has 664k, Rolex 10 million). That's a huge amount of people who probably hadn't heard of the brand now have. If 1% of Gaga and Beckham's followers become a Tudor customer that's near on a million units sold.

They've both been retained as brand ambassadors, so as far as the Tudor marketing department are concerned they must be bringing in the numbers.
    Agree completely with this. I saw first hand what happened to the Superdry brand when Beckham was spotted wearing one of their T-shirts. It was unbelievable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I suspect more people have heard of them than ajpac from TZ, which sort of dismisses the nonentity element.

Master
    I think the future will be good for Tudor, they have licence to create from big brother Rolex and I’m very pleased with their latest release, and how good it looks on the rubber strap

It's been interesting watching the rise of Tudor and they seem to have made all the right moves in terms of growing their brand whilst at the same time gaining the respect of the WIS. I don't own a Tudor; but plan to change that very soon and get a Pelagos.

It might be the time to get in before the values spiral upwards; all it needs is an Instagrammer or two to push a BB or two and before you know it demand will soar; secondhand prices will skyrocket, supply will remain the same and it will be Rolex 2.0.

It will be interesting to see how they position themselves in the future with regards pricing; it seems we feel like you get a lot of watch for you money with a Tudor - especially with how Omega prices have drifted upwards. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

Craftsman
    After many years of Rolex i got my first Tudor a couple of months ago, Pelagos blue.
    I love it and think its great value for money, something that Rolex no longer are.

Master
    My Tudor North Flag bought 2 years ago has been responsible for keeping my 2001 14060M Submariner off my wrist.

scooter

Master
    Pound for pound some old Tudor subs have gained way more value than the equivalent Rolex sub! A nice snowflake Tudor sub is harder to find than a Rolex of same vintage and very expensive now.
    Yes I know that, but what I'm not sure is if modern, present day Tudor watches, will be future collector's items. Things are different now, the subs and so on of 40-50 years ago were not luxury items. High quality tool watches, worn and now showing the signs of that wear. Very often the patina is part the desirability. Today's Tudor etc are luxury items made with materials Which will show far less patina and besides, most of the watches won't get the same sort of life. I could be wrong but I'm not convinced a popular Tudor of today like a BB would be a future collectible. I can see limited number watches being that. All just a guess though.

I love the BB58 but I already have a black 94010 so I am desperately hoping Tudor will make a blue BB58 some day (soon).

Something like this...

In Asia tudor is pushed heavily and sold alongside rolex. They also use famous Asian stars as ambassadors and its more common to see a twenty something with a tudor than an omega now. I think the line up will change over the next 5 years to a more military/explorer style range of rugged adventurers watches. Right now the range is a bit incoherent as a whole and I think this will be their turning point. Omegas are crazy prices now and tudor can take their old proce point and get a good following.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I think the future will be good for Tudor, they have licence to create from big brother Rolex and I’m very pleased with their latest release, and how good it looks on the rubber strap

Is the rubber Everest vanguard crafterblue or?

Master
    I was impressed to see that Tudor are the official timekeepers of the Rugby World Cup.

Count me as another North Flag fan but it does seem to be of limited appeal. I spoke to two different ADs and they said that model doesn't really sell, at least in comparison to the BB58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Yes I know that, but what I'm not sure is if modern, present day Tudor watches, will be future collector's items. Things are different now, the subs and so on of 40-50 years ago were not luxury items. High quality tool watches, worn and now showing the signs of that wear. Very often the patina is part the desirability. Today's Tudor etc are luxury items made with materials Which will show far less patina and besides, most of the watches won't get the same sort of life. I could be wrong but I'm not convinced a popular Tudor of today like a BB would be a future collectible. I can see limited number watches being that. All just a guess though.
    I partly agree but one thing’s for sure if patina is a key part they stand more chance of being collectible than Rolex. There no reason why Tudor’s won’t bezel fade etc, Rolex won’t as they’re ceramic.

The way people baby watches these days means there will be thousands of mint boxed watches in years to come. The days of a 40yr old GMT turning up with box & papers to blow people’s mind’s is gone. It’ll be more impressive to see one that’s beaten to hell. Mostly this is due to the price of them these days and people who can’t really afford to use them as intended ‘investing’ a huge amount of money into the. Yes Rolex have always been premium but I can remember umming & arring over a sub years ago and now I just laugh at the prices.

Still, the worm will turn soon.

I loved them going back to being the poor man's (vintage) rolex. When they tried to break away from that and design something different it was hideous and anonimous.

I am actually surprised there are people who didn't know tudor till recently... the cheap rolex spin off! Come on! It's just about "horology 101"

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    I loved them going back to being the poor man's (vintage) rolex. When they tried to break away from that and design something different it was hideous and anonimous.

I am actually surprised there are people who didn't know tudor till recently... the cheap rolex spin off! Come on! It's just about "horology 101"

BUBI 0_0
    Outside of WIS nobody gives a flying fig about horological stuff. They just buy a watch they like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Is the rubber Everest vanguard crafterblue or?
    Nope Cousins, both strap and buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Nope Cousins, both strap and buckle.
    Cool . I thought I had managed to get one of these watches but AD promise appears to have gone quiet

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I do love Tudor at the moment, agrees with most and hoping too! But I can not seeing them not to bring out different colours of the BB58.

Master
    Tudor are doing great! Like others have posted, I really like their BB58 and the GMT. If they can relaunch the sub, or do a BB58 GMT, I'll go all in.

Just noticed they are the timing sponsors for the rugby world cup too. Smart marketing.

As previously posted I have been reasonably informed that the BB58 with gilt dial will potential be pulled next year as it only was only ever released as a tribute to the original.

If this happens I would imagine different colours would be realised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    As previously posted I have been reasonably informed that the BB58 with gilt dial will potential be pulled next year as it only was only ever released as a tribute to the original.

If this happens I would imagine different colours would be realised.
    That makes sense to me from a marketing perspective. Be interesting to see what happens to the guilt variant. Only a 2 year run if they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Outside of WIS nobody gives a flying fig about horological stuff. They just buy a watch they like.
    If you know rolex you know poor man's rolex. But humm... yeah this was a mantra which probably applied more to older days when watches were useful like... pens.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    I partly agree but one thing’s for sure if patina is a key part they stand more chance of being collectible than Rolex. There no reason why Tudor’s won’t bezel fade etc, Rolex won’t as they’re ceramic.

The way people baby watches these days means there will be thousands of mint boxed watches in years to come. The days of a 40yr old GMT turning up with box & papers to blow people’s mind’s is gone. It’ll be more impressive to see one that’s beaten to hell. Mostly this is due to the price of them these days and people who can’t really afford to use them as intended ‘investing’ a huge amount of money into the. Yes Rolex have always been premium but I can remember umming & arring over a sub years ago and now I just laugh at the prices.

Still, the worm will turn soon.
    True. basically we don't know what will be a future collectible, if I did I'd be buying them now, lots!

Master
    Whats not to like about Tudor,
    They look amazing and pound for pound are great value and watches.

Look as good as Rolex counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    I was mooching around in Exeter on Tuesday and Beaverbrooks had one in their window. Nearly went in and tried it on but resisted.

(resisted = got dragged away by my wife).

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Whats not to like about Tudor,
    They look amazing and pound for pound are great value and watches.
    I wonder how the models would have been perceived if they had Rolex on the dial. I imagine they would have been instantly unobtainable selling for multiple times there RRP.

Quite agree