closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of Tudor...

Quote Originally Posted by ajpac View Post
    Nonentities such as Beckham and Gaga in my opinion have done nothing for the Tudor brand.
    Frankly, that’s a ridiculous statement. Firstly, they’re anything but nonentities; secondly, do you have any idea at all how colossal a social media presence they have? Perfect ambassadors for the brand, I’d have thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I wonder how the models would have been perceived if they had Rolex on the dial. I imagine they would have been instantly unobtainable selling for multiple times there RRP.
    Yes but that's thing isn't it, the little coronet is largely what commands the extra cost, nothing more.

Journeyman
    I've been to abu dhabi for 2 consecutive summers , the Rolex AD this year had a Tudor section built in to shop , nicely done up. The salesman did say the brand is getting more popular in the middle east .

Based on the 4 month and counting wait I’ve had for the specific BB36 configuration I want reckon they’re doing fine and following Rolex nicely.

Neither local AD is seeing much come in from them.

Certainly pumping out some nice products and a good price point.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Yes but that's thing isn't it, the little coronet is largely what commands the extra cost, nothing more.
    And that was my point - brand snobbery.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 27th September 2019 at 06:29.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Frankly, that’s a ridiculous statement. Firstly, they’re anything but nonentities; secondly, do you have any idea at all how colossal a social media presence they have? Perfect ambassadors for the brand, I’d have thought.
    I would have to disagree. They’re both a couple of has-beens whose only association with Tudor is the big, fat pay cheques they receive each month for doing jig-all. The brand would be better off either with no one or someone else fronting-it-up.

I know, how about King Harry Kane? (mind you, he’s not too well known in the US...) 😊😉

You can disagree all you like, Tudor clearly disagree with you. The fact is that both of them are massive, global stars with huge Social Media following that dwarfs the existing Tudor SM profile.

Tudor's problem was that they lacked massive brand exposure because they were "hidden" behind their parent company.
    Now it seems they have been given permission to try and dominate the lower end of the market from Rolex, they needed to get awareness first, then move on to brand loyalty after.
    These two give awareness to the brand very effectively.
    The fact that they are both still retained after more than 2 years means they are still rasing that profile, Beckham especially has made a significant number of videos with them.
    I don't know the metrics, but I am sure that they have delivered numbers and continue to do so.

Just in case you missed the numbers

DB - 58 Million Insta followers (currently 32nd on the highest insta followers chart, 26th is you remove companies)
    LG - 37 Million Insta followers

Tudor - 666 Thousand Insta followers
    Rolex - 10 Million Insta followers

I think Tudor's future is bright, but they certainly need to get back on form, this year's Basel releases were not what the world was crying out for, a big drop in form by comparison to the previous 2 years.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    I would have to disagree. They’re both a couple of has-beens whose only association with Tudor is the big, fat pay cheques they receive each month for doing jig-all. The brand would be better off either with no one or someone else fronting-it-up.

I know, how about King Harry Kane? (mind you, he’s not too well known in the US...) 😊😉
    I'm sure with your user name you have seen the iwc banners prominent at nwhl, and on poch's wrist, including iwc YouTube video chats with poch and Jesus. It may be that Harry is also tied up in terms of image rights. He'd be a good ambassador though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For the first time in a while I am without a tudor. That can only mean one thing, prices will go north.

They make some great stuff, the 58 and advisor are great pieces.

I know, how about King Harry Kane? (mind you, he’s not too well known in the US...) 
    Two things against Harry Kane...

One he is, as you point out, not well known outside Football circles and much beyond UK.

Secondly, he's pretty ugly

I know, how about King Harry Kane? (mind you, he’s not too well known in the US...)
    Tudor know their accounts and the sales figures before and after ambassador appointment - I’m sure from a financial point of view they wouldn’t continue the relationship if it wasn’t proving effective.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems Tudor have been given the green light to raise their profile and slipstream Rolex as they move up market and create more space for Tudor. I expect this momentum to gather.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Two things against Harry Kane...

One he is, as you point out, not well known outside Football circles and much beyond UK.

Secondly, he's pretty ugly
    Who are you then, Derek Zoolander?? 🙄😅

Who are you then, Derek Zoolander?? 
    I'm too old to look that cool!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely anything linking Tudor to Tottenham would severely hamper the brand!

Although on second thoughts maybe Kane would be perfect for a diving watch!!
    Last edited by Gav; 28th September 2019 at 10:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Surely anything linking Tudor to Tottenham would severely hamper the brand!

Although on second thoughts maybe Kane would be perfect for a diving watch!!
    Ha ha - Spurs & shiny silver things don't really go well together.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Ha ha - Spurs & shiny silver things don't really go well together.
    Tudor Spurs Edition runs fast, because it loses away from home.

Sorry Tony.

Journeyman
    Was about to buy a BB when I saw the Beckham advert - a man paid solely to wear things and make sure he gets his picture in the paper promoting 'brand' Beckham' - god he's at it with his whole family now!! Stopped me in my tracks - why should I contribute to a pointless celeb and make (keep?) him rich with my hard earned - would sooner have a cheaper price -a media whore is certainally not the image I aspire to. If thats the tacky image they want to pursue then its not for me - I remember a stink getting up when Tag started that with Heuer.
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 28th September 2019 at 17:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcairn View Post
    Was about to buy a BB when I saw the Beckham advert - a man paid solely to wear things and make sure he gets his picture in the paper promoting 'brand' Beckham' - god he's at it with his whole family now!! Stopped me in my tracks - why should I contribute to a pointless celeb and make (keep?) him rich with my hard earned - would sooner have a cheaper price -a media whore is certainally not the image I aspire to. If thats the tacky image they want to pursue then its not for me - I remember a stink getting up when Tag started that with Heuer.
    Try not to take life too seriously.. I guess Rolex and omega are also off the table now as well. Oh, montblanc, Piaget, JLC, Frederique constant, tag, IWC, Bristling, AP, Longines. All of whom pay money for rich celebrities to wear their watches. Which companies do you buy from?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Nonentities such as Beckham and Gaga combined have 95 million followers on Instagram alone. (Tudor has 664k, Rolex 10 million). That's a huge amount of people who probably hadn't heard of the brand now have. If 1% of Gaga and Beckham's followers become a Tudor customer that's near on a million units sold.

They've both been retained as brand ambassadors, so as far as the Tudor marketing department are concerned they must be bringing in the numbers.
    Precisely.

To believe otherwise is remarkably naive.

To doubt any marketing decisions made with involvement from rolex is utter madness - rarely, if ever, a foot wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm no fan of either Tony but,yeah, I 100% agree... they're selling a lot of watches and their media presence is huge... it staggers me that people can't grasp this!

You didn't buy a watch you really liked because a person you don't know is on adverts for the brand?

How does your face look following your rhinectomy?

I bet you're fun at parties

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    You didn't buy a watch you really liked because a person you don't know is on adverts for the brand?

Post of the day nomination.

Ha!!

Reissue this,,
    Last edited by number2; 29th September 2019 at 04:59.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Reissue this,,
    I need a blue one of these (no date).

I think that tudor are no different to any brand. You would be surprised at what inane millenials get paid to promote crap. Sir David Beckham and Oscar winner lady gaga as well as other celebs are paid becaise they have real impact on a brand or product. I mean, do you scoff at george Clooney weaing omega whilst sipping your nespresso? It's all relative and all brands would love to have gaga or Beckham wearing their products. And credit to David Beckham, he does wear the tudor a lot in his pics and it seems better than his brief stint as a breitling ambassador

Master
    Blog Entries

https://timeandtidewatches.com/david...-are-the-best/

And he does own a lovely vintage Tudor. The guy genuinely loves watches so respect to him.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Nicely written, I am a massive Tudor fan boy and In my option there is nothing on the market that can compete pound for pound.
    Erm the huge range of Seiko divers?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Is the rubber Everest vanguard crafterblue or?
    Very nice this new blackout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Try not to take life too seriously.. I guess Rolex and omega are also off the table now as well. Oh, montblanc, Piaget, JLC, Frederique constant, tag, IWC, Bristling, AP, Longines. All of whom pay money for rich celebrities to wear their watches. Which companies do you buy from?
    I understand that Timefactors has a refreshingly sleb-free marketing strategy...

Journeyman

Whoa - its bad when I have to look up a word to find out if I've been insulted - guess that's a double insult … but before you congratulate yourself too much I would point out that you are wrong - I did not say "didn't buy the watch because a person I don't know is on the adverts" but the opposite and I wouldn't go as far to say that I spite-ed myself by not buying it - another watch is a luxury after all and there are plenty other options - indeed I bought two vintage divers and a modern reissue instead and I am very happy with them (and no pointless celebrities were paid anything as a result of these purchases to have a few pics taken). Of course the others who have made negative comment about the likes of Beckham know why the companies do it - they are simply making comment on the type of image Tudor is aligning itself with in their eyes. Personally I'm kinda insulted that a company thinks i'll buy something because somebody famous has been paid to be photographed wearing it, yes I would sooner not see my hard earned paid into their pockets and would tend to shop elsewhere and that goes for most of the big brands. But I do acknowledge that people will be swayed by a famous name - who will they sign up next - the Kardashians?

Personally I'm kinda insulted that a company thinks i'll buy something because somebody famous has been paid to be photographed wearing it.
    Don’t take it personally, they’re not out to insult you. Marketing departments know ‘you can’t please all of the people, all of the time’. It’s purely a numbers game, they have a budget and have to spend it on what think will achieve the biggest impact for their marketing spend.

Choosing a certain brand ambassador might alienate 10% of the target audience, but if they attract a greater number than they put off it’s worth it.

So if you find yourself in charge of a decent marketing budget and you want to sell whisky, shaving products, clothing, luxury watches or whatever else, brand Beckham is a safe route to finding an audience.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Don’t take it personally, they’re not out to insult you. Marketing departments know ‘you can’t please all of the people, all of the time’. It’s purely a numbers game, they have a budget and have to spend it on what think will achieve the biggest impact for their marketing spend.

Choosing a certain brand ambassador might alienate 10% of the target audience, but if they attract a greater number than they put off it’s worth it.

So if you find yourself in charge of a decent marketing budget and you want to sell whisky, shaving products, clothing, luxury watches or whatever else, brand Beckham is a safe route to finding an audience.
    Interesting to see how the spend v sales numbers stack up

Well to lighten the mood a little .... I'm half way into my saving for a Pelagos, maybe another 6 months to go

I have a future with Tudor ...... quite like DB too, nice guy, wears nice watches :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Well to lighten the mood a little .... I'm half way into my saving for a Pelagos, maybe another 6 months to go

I have a future with Tudor ...... quite like DB too, nice guy, wears nice watches :)
    Noticed from their website they have quite a few 'brand ambassadors' obviously aimed at different geographical areas - wonder how much these firms pay out on this compared to their wage bill - and before you jump to posting ...yes we all know WHY they do it , the question is should the customer reward companies that can throw money at celebs as opposed to advertising/sponsorship of events - its all in the price tag

Master
    Quite frankly OP, if Kylie Minogue & Sir Les Patterson, (Cultural attache for Australia,) were 'brand ambassadors' for Tudor, I would still have bought both my Tudors. BB Heritage chrono' & a BB chrono'. You need to look into the father & son, 'You never own a Patek Phillipe' type of marketing, perhaps that might appeal to your dislike of 'brand ambassador' like Beckham & GaGa. I have a niggling feeling that you won't be buying a Rolex David Cameron, Deep Sea, Sea Dweller, anytime soon because you won't want to put money into his pocket & a whole host of other brand ambassadors in the watch industry marketing machine.

Master
    Whoa - its bad when I have to look up a word to find out if I've been insulted - guess that's a double insult … but before you congratulate yourself too much I would point out that you are wrong - I did not say "didn't buy the watch because a person I don't know is on the adverts" but the opposite and I wouldn't go as far to say that I spite-ed myself by not buying it - another watch is a luxury after all and there are plenty other options - indeed I bought two vintage divers and a modern reissue instead and I am very happy with them (and no pointless celebrities were paid anything as a result of these purchases to have a few pics taken). Of course the others who have made negative comment about the likes of Beckham know why the companies do it - they are simply making comment on the type of image Tudor is aligning itself with in their eyes. Personally I'm kinda insulted that a company thinks i'll buy something because somebody famous has been paid to be photographed wearing it, yes I would sooner not see my hard earned paid into their pockets and would tend to shop elsewhere and that goes for most of the big brands. But I do acknowledge that people will be swayed by a famous name - who will they sign up next - the Kardashians?
    If you own any Rolexes you better burn them or throw them away...
    If you don’t own any but you aspire to get one you should also restrain yourself and forget about it!
    They too pay famous people to wear their watches and photograph them while wearing them!....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not buying an item because you don’t like the brands marketing spend is going to be very limiting these days.

and before you jump to posting
    I had no intention of ...... I also need to work on my mood lightening by the looks ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Nope Cousins, both strap and buckle.
    Cousins have such a large selection i couldn't figure out which strap this is, either that or my old age is beginning to show.. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction, i like the strap... Many thanks.

Whoa - its bad when I have to look up a word to find out if I've been insulted - guess that's a double insult … but before you congratulate yourself too much I would point out that you are wrong - I did not say "didn't buy the watch because a person I don't know is on the adverts" but the opposite
    Well, you did...your words for when you saw Beckham advertising a watch you wanted were "stopped me in my tracks".
    I'm assuming of course... but l think you recognise David Beckham (which is the point of him being a brand ambassador) but you don't actually know him.

So, you didn't say the opposite at all, did you?

Noticed from their website they have quite a few 'brand ambassadors' obviously aimed at different geographical areas - wonder how much these firms pay out on this compared to their wage bill - and before you jump to posting ...yes we all know WHY they do it , the question is should the customer reward companies that can throw money at celebs as opposed to advertising/sponsorship of events - its all in the price tag
    It's a poser all right... should success be rewarded or punished?

It just is what it is mate. Apart from the deluded fanboys, the majority of this forum - myself included - know the dance... the big names charge far more than they could and we're all being milked, but if it's the watch you really want then that's the price you pay. We know it. We don't care.
    Argos is full of affordable alternatives... Enjoy!

Journeyman
    The thing is Tudor are not trying to appeal to WIS like us. They are after the young (under 40s) who admire tattooed ex footballers and singers such as Lady Gaga

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    The thing is Tudor are not trying to appeal to WIS like us. They are after the young (under 40s) who admire tattooed ex footballers and singers such as Lady Gaga
    Yep ... there are more of them than they are of us so it makes complete sense ...

All the watches people like are over priced for what they are ... we are funding huge marketing budgets and we are daft if we can't see that and it's up to us if we wish to rail against it.

Certainly the TimeFactors offerings look great watches where you get what you pay for and you don't have to fund any marketing fluff ... there is appeal in that and I'm looking at a PRS-29a which I am considering buying and then selling my 1967 W10 ... makes sense at a practical level ... but I'd never get another W10 as nice as the one I have; but that is another dilemma. The point is there are great value watches to be had for those who don't want to fund Beckham, Gaga and Tiger Wood etc ...

Personally, I think the future is good. This evening I called into my local Tudor AD, as I'm waiting for the call on a BB58. He told me the BB58 list is growing by the day and the GMT list, which they recently cleared, is starting to build up again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    Personally, I think the future is good. This evening I called into my local Tudor AD, as I'm waiting for the call on a BB58. He told me the BB58 list is growing by the day and the GMT list, which they recently cleared, is starting to build up again.
    These two are potential future classics imo. First of their kind for Tudor. Like you say. Everyone thought the lists had been satisfied but they have not and demand is still there. I also think the GMT is a grower and as people start to realise the watch wears better than the dimensions suggest it will continue to grow in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    These two are potential future classics imo. First of their kind for Tudor. Like you say. Everyone thought the lists had been satisfied but they have not and demand is still there. I also think the GMT is a grower and as people start to realise the watch wears better than the dimensions suggest it will continue to grow in popularity.
    +1 from me too. I was in my local AD this afternoon (adding a tiny bit to the wealth of Tudor, Beckham, Ga Ga, et al) and was told a similar story. GMT list at 6+ months again now, BB58 still racking up a long list and the BB Dark Chrono, which I covet deeply, pretty much in the ‘forget it’ category. All in a year where most were a bit underwhelmed with their new releases.

Whether it’s hype or not (not, in my view)they seem to be going from strength to strength. Wonder why? Oh, hang on.... I enquired about the price of a couple of Omegas while I was there. How much for a chuffing Speedy?!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Basically i think tudor will occupy the space left by Rolex as Rolex tries to move further upmarket. The typical 1-2 watch buyers of SS sports will no longer be able to easily buy these as has been the case and i think Rolex is pushing them to buy Tudor instead.