closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch screen controls in cars, are they dangerous?

Blog Entries

Touch screen controls in cars, are they dangerous?

Been looking at new cars and a lot have touch screen controls, on the dashboard and lower dashboard, for heater-a/c, and vehicle settings such as heated windows, etc.

I find you need to look at them longer to navigate to what you want rather than simply using switches and knobs. For example having to first navigate to the screen you want then setting what you want.

It's a bit like using a fixed I-pad on the lower dash on some, which surely can't be good.

Anyone had experience of this?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I drove a few cars with these and to be honest since I wasn’t familiar with the car it was a nightmare a couple of times, screen misted up and I didn’t know how to remedy it, stopped, and worked it out, ok, something that would need to be studied before driving, otherwise dodgy.

Only if they get stuck in your throat...

Master
    Have it on both my cars and once you get used to it there isn’t really a problem, the bulk of the settings are made before you start driving, what I really like is Head Up Display which shows your speed, gear, revs, etc in the windscreen just below your eyeline, well worth having.

I have the dual touch screen system in a Range Rover Velar and that is VERY distracting until you get used to it. After that it becomes quite intuitive (or so I am told...).

Still waiting for that though, but I haven't had it long...

Craftsman
    I find it distracting if Im trying to find a function or setting that I don't use that often. Frequently used functions became intuitive quite quickly. Not exactly related but what I do really like is once my phone is connected the control panel will read out any texts I receive and I can dictate a response. Sometimes it's the little things in life.

Grand Master
    I believe touch screens are a step backwards in terms of safety, it's impossible to use them without taking your eyes off the road whereas old-fashioned switches and knobs could by adjusted by touch and feel. For the older drivers (like me) who need varifocal glasses it's difficult to read the damned screen without moving your head slightly, all of which is a distraction from watching the road ahead. The car makers like them because they're cheap to produce, buyers like them because they feel 'modern', but to me they make simple tasks potentially more dangerous.

Keeping my eyes on the road at all times has served me well over the years, I intend to continue doing so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have the dual touch screen system in a Range Rover Velar and that is VERY distracting until you get used to it. After that it becomes quite intuitive (or so I am told...).

Still waiting for that though, but I haven't had it long...
    It was that dual system that prompted my question after a test drive the other day. It seemed that depending on the light and reflections etc you couldn't always see which part of the screen to touch. And the blower control had to be assigned to that knob before adjusting the fan if it was set on another function. I don't think it's a step forwards tbh, and it doesn't seem to be thought out very well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Only if they get stuck in your throat...
    Are you ok?

Master
    I'm not a fan tbh. I always find myself having to look at what I'm pressing, whereas with knobs and buttons I can find the right thing by feel and not have to take my eyes off the road.

Although as mentioned, in reality there will probably be very few things you'll touch once you're moving.

Craftsman
    Because I hate fingerprints all over it, I do my utmost not to touch the screen in my car. And as voice recognition continues to improve, I'm finding that I vary rarely need to touch it. Between voice control and steering wheel controls I'm pretty sure I take my eyes off the road less than I used to.

I owned a Vauxhall a few years ago that was a sea of buttons, and I found myself looking for the particular one I wanted. My current car has a decent balance between touchscreen (mainly for nav and media) and physical controls for climate.

I've never sat in a Tesla, but I understand that pretty much everything is controlled from a touchscreen, which is a step too far IMO.

Master
    I haven't used one with screens, but suspect I would find it distracting and time consuming... that said integration into electronics would make voice control much easier and effective and that could work.

The US Navy managed to crash two ship and found touch screens a factor https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/11/2...nical-controls

I like my Lotus, no bells and whistles.

Looking into the medium future it's inevitable as self driving takes over.

Craftsman
    This is mine.

I understand the concern and I think I do prefer buttons for some things.

Nav / audio etc works well on the screens.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1981 View Post
    This is mine.

I understand the concern and I think I do prefer buttons for some things.

Nav / audio etc works well on the screens.

Thats similar to the set up which made me feel uneasy about it. In the picture you would have to change screens to change the driving mode or other vehicle settings I think? Also can't see the button for turning off stop start feature, another screen?

Craftsman
    Not dangerous, but I much prefer buttons most of the time. Plus the horrible fingerprints that are left...

Craftsman
    Yup swipe screens to get to driving mode, stop start is still on a button somewhere I think.

Temps / seats are do able from the screen or via a manual control

It’s ok, you can do what you like with a touch screen, but pick up your phone!

Blog Entries
    Starting to think this is an easier to use option.

Some touch screen but buttons for most things.

Master
    I was looking at the newer volvos and it seems you have to do everything via a huge touch screen I drive an prehistoric Toyota avensis no touch screen heater controls are on knobs no stop start to have to keep deactivating, I think modern cars are definitely too distracting

The finger prints just drive me crazy, both my cars have touch screens but I only use the wheel or console controls,

The ability to know where the button or how much to turn the wheel is invaluable for keeping your eyes on the road driving, but that just can’t be done with a touch screen because of the lack of feedback in my opinion

Had a demo of the new A6 Avant last week and it had dual touch screens. I’m struggling to understand how it’s unsafe to use an iphone whilst driving, but essentially it’s ok to use two large iPads when on the move. Didn’t like the interface, but they did look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Multiple touchscreens and no physical buttons/switches is a recipe for disaster. Other than a plusher looking interior, they offer no benefits whatsoever. It would put me right off.

Blog Entries
    Any vehicle you are operating where you are not familiar with the controls is a recipe for disaster
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Multiple touchscreens and no physical buttons/switches is a recipe for disaster. Other than a plusher looking interior, they offer no benefits whatsoever. It would put me right off.
    ^ this.

They seem to be trying to turn cars into mobile phones. Trouble is you need to look out the windows of your car to avoid causing death and mayhem, something trendy designers seem to have forgotten in their haste to introduce (often pointless) gizmos into cars

Master
    Yes.

Seems like madness to me and I wonder how long it’ll be before they bring back buttons. Maybe after the first few high profile touch screen accidents I guess.

I don’t want a poxy shiny iPad in my car covered in finger prints and dust! I want buttons that I know where they are and even if they require a glance I can look back to the road and feel what I’m doing.

I’m actually amazed it’s gone this far actually. It’s like teenagers are doing interior car design and ‘cool’ = what we all want!

It’s such a huge oversight in safety it beggars belief really.

Just watched the new Porsche Taycan review and even that’s a screenfest.

Master
    I think it’s going the way it is (touchscreens) because we are rapidly approaching autonomous driving. When that is in place we will want our tablets and connectivity to keep us occupied during journeys.

I have dual touch screens in a RR Velar. They look pretty but are dangerous

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think it’s going the way it is (touchscreens) because we are rapidly approaching autonomous driving. When that is in place we will want our tablets and connectivity to keep us occupied during journeys.
    We’re not, it’s a pipe dream, unless we make some huge changes to our road network or there is a massive technology jump it can’t happen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

That's what mine is in the picture above.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Starting to think this is an easier to use option.

Some touch screen but buttons for most things.

I drive one of these (a C300) and it’s a good balance. There are lots of things I ‘need’ to do on the move (really? Need?) but it’s not a touch screen, it’s a rotary controller, so there is some tactile feedback.

Just like many people on this thread, I hate the fingerprints on a touchscreen (my discovery had one and it was always covered) but there are sooooo many functions in a modern car that single function switches are impractical and, crucially for a manufacturer, costly.

The screen is already there so if the manufacturer adds a function, it’s just a few lines of code to enable it whereas a switch needs to be designed, manufactured and fitted with all of the wiring that entails.

I think it’s going to be far more prevalent and confusing as time goes on

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    I drive one of these (a C300) and it’s a good balance. There are lots of things I ‘need’ to do on the move (really? Need?) but it’s not a touch screen, it’s a rotary controller, so there is some tactile feedback.

Just like many people on this thread, I hate the fingerprints on a touchscreen (my discovery had one and it was always covered) but there are sooooo many functions in a modern car that single function switches are impractical and, crucially for a manufacturer, costly.

The screen is already there so if the manufacturer adds a function, it’s just a few lines of code to enable it whereas a switch needs to be designed, manufactured and fitted with all of the wiring that entails.

I think it’s going to be far more prevalent and confusing as time goes on
    I had a test drive in a facelift model which only had the trackpad but thought it had the right balance between touchscreen and switches.

Blog Entries

That's what mine is in the picture above.

Have you found it easier to alter the a-c and other modes while driving as you get used to it, or is it still quite distracting.

Craftsman
    Have you found it easier to alter the a-c and other modes while driving as you get used to it, or is it still quite distracting.
    Air con temp can be done via a traditional dial.

Direction / auto / strength etc are all via the lower touch screen. But you can also display driving mode, massage seats, media on it so have to switch between them.

You can't get nav displayed on the larger bottom screen which is a shame.

It is distracting as you have to use the lower touchscreen to alter this and that involves moving eyes from the road and looking down quite far. It is something I only do when stationary which is somewhat counter productive. So it is a bit of a case of form over function.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We’re not, it’s a pipe dream, unless we make some huge changes to our road network or there is a massive technology jump it can’t happen.
    It’s not a pipe dream at all. Town driving, I agree. There are way too many variables for it to work but motorway driving, there are cars built today that can do the driving for you.
    https://youtu.be/tlThdr3O5Qo

It’s not a pipe dream at all. Town driving, I agree. There are way too many variables for it to work but motorway driving, there are cars built today that can do the driving for you.
    https://youtu.be/tlThdr3O5Qo
    The most powerful computer on the planet cannot make a decision, so please explain how the car will negotiate zebra crossings and roundabouts?

Master
    The most powerful computer on the planet cannot make a decision, so please explain how the car will negotiate zebra crossings and roundabouts?
    Did you not bother to read my post. I said NOT around towns because there are too many variables, but autonomous driving absolutely can be applied to motorways. The technology already exists. It’s the legislation and accountability that’s stopping it.

Did you not bother to read my post. I said NOT around towns because there are too many variables, but autonomous driving absolutely can be applied to motorways. The technology already exists. It’s the legislation and accountability that’s stopping it.
    By definition they are not autonomous vehicles, the train idea hasn’t been proven yet, the MTBF numbers are not good enough.

Master
    By definition they are not autonomous vehicles, the train idea hasn’t been proven yet, the MTBF numbers are not good enough.
    Really? If a car can drive on the road without input from the driver, it’s autonomous. If I get on the motorway, set whatever parameters there are for the car to drive itself and then not have to touch anything until I get back off the motorway, that car is driving autonomously.
    Would you agree that the Tesla in the video I posted was driving itself? If not, why not.

Really? If a car can drive on the road without input from the driver, it’s autonomous. If I get on the motorway, set whatever parameters there are for the car to drive itself and then not have to touch anything until I get back off the motorway, that car is driving autonomously.
    Would you agree that the Tesla in the video I posted was driving itself? If not, why not.
    Look up MTBF , they are not safe.........yet

I can't help but think this is a solution that's looking for a problem.

A bit like the electric handbrake......what was ever wrong with the previous manual version?

I'm all for technology improvements but this all seems to me to just be another very expensive thing to go wrong. I saw the new Audi A5 the other day which seemed to have a complete LCD dashboard....very impressive (particularly when showing the Sat-nav) but really just how much are they going to sting you for when it inevitably goes wrong? (Audi recent quote for a sat-nav map update £300!!!!)

Master
    Look up MTBF , they are not safe.........yet
    And that’s why I said we are heading towards it in my original post.
    Having said that, a Tesla will take you on and off a motorway and overtake cars with the only thing the driver having to do is tap the indicator to let the car know he wants to overtake, and that technology is in place now.

Having said that, a Tesla will take you on and off a motorway and overtake cars with the only thing the driver having to do is tap the indicator to let the car know he wants to overtake, and that technology is in place now.
    And you think this is a good thing?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Air con temp can be done via a traditional dial.

Direction / auto / strength etc are all via the lower touch screen. But you can also display driving mode, massage seats, media on it so have to switch between them.

You can't get nav displayed on the larger bottom screen which is a shame.

The more I hear about having to switch from screen to screen to accomplish fairly simple tasks, the more I'm convinced its a bad system. I like the new Evoque but this may be what stops me from getting one. Rather than the touchscreens making things simpler for the driver, I think they are beginning to look like a hindrance.

It is distracting as you have to use the lower touchscreen to alter this and that involves moving eyes from the road and looking down quite far. It is something I only do when stationary which is somewhat counter productive. So it is a bit of a case of form over function.
    Having to wait until stationary to alter things seems rather like a step backwards to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I believe touch screens are a step backwards in terms of safety, it's impossible to use them without taking your eyes off the road whereas old-fashioned switches and knobs could by adjusted by touch and feel.
    Agreed.

Master
    Been looking at new cars and a lot have touch screen controls, on the dashboard and lower dashboard, for heater-a/c, and vehicle settings such as heated windows, etc.

I find you need to look at them longer to navigate to what you want rather than simply using switches and knobs. For example having to first navigate to the screen you want then setting what you want.

It's a bit like using a fixed I-pad on the lower dash on some, which surely can't be good.

Anyone had experience of this?

My view is that it is dangerous if you change things on the move. If you do not have two hands on the wheels and your focus on the road ahead and mirrors it's an increase in risk.
    Another set of focus areas will increase saccades, vergences (and brain out areas) and thus present a risk.

B

Can you please show me one country that has approved the Tesla autopilot? As I said earlier it is currently marketing and PR, you cannot legally take both hands off the steering wheel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Not dangerous, but I much prefer buttons most of the time. Plus the horrible fingerprints that are left...
    I have a Matte/Anti Glare Film on my iphone , which eliminates fingerprints, maybe you could look into a similar product for the screen.

I’m looking for a new car at the moment and my wife has 2 stipulations: A manual gearbox and a proper handbrake. She is an excellent,safe and confident driver and as long as she knows where the lights and wipers controls are she doesn’t bother with any of the other tech when driving, she just views it as stupidly distracting - she won’t even answer a call on the hands free when driving. Went into BMW last week and they don’t appear to offer a car that offers what she wants - what we used to call a drivers car. Now looking at classic golf gti’s!