closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Singapore Airlines upgrade

Master

Singapore Airlines upgrade

We are off on our jollies next week to Singapore and then on to Oz, flying with Singapore Airlines. We have booked the extra legroom seats in economy (we tend to spend the difference while on holiday on extravagances) but have today received an email inviting us to participate in an auction to upgrade.
    I'm not particularly minded to bid too much as I am OK with the seats we have, but the Mrs fancies turning left.
    I know there are quite a lot of seasoned travelers on here so I was wondering if anybody done this and what sort of ball park figure won them.

Never actually bid for a better seat and I'm hardly a seasoned traveller but if I recall, Premium seats on a flight to and from the States, added about 200 quid to the figures...

Master
    If it’s an upgrade to premium economy you’ll likely be looking at £300-400 each for such a long route. If it’s business, it’ll be thousands

Craftsman
    Virgin have a similar option and you can bid to upgrade, but the bids are at set increments. I imagine Singapore airlines would be similar, if so I'd avoid the lowest possible increment as that is what most people would select and bid the next lowest amount available.

Put a bid in last year on our RTW trip - the bid was 2/3 of what the full upgrade would have been. Didn't win it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The extra legroom seats on Singapore economy are great and your upgrade option will be to go to premium economy. Not worth it. To go to full business class is worth it but that isn't the option and it it is would be at least £1.2k each way

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Totally agree with Ryan...£72 each way for me to get the extra legroom seats (LHR - SG) and I'm golden. As much as one can be on a plane for 13 hours anyway...

In other news, Singapore Airlines economy knocks socks off BA even in regular seats.

Craftsman
    Friends of mine are travelling the same route in a couple of weeks, they rave about first class and especially this particular airline. It’s got to be worth a punt.

I should add the my son has just come back from the states and bid for the upgrade. Didn’t win but got one anyway.
    Last edited by MonkeyBoy; 24th September 2019 at 19:11.

Master
    I did it with Etihad a few years ago & got business AUH-BNE for £100.
    Bid as much as the upgrade is worth to you... if you win, bonus. If not you get the seat you paid for.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    I did it with Etihad a few years ago & got business AUH-BNE for £100.
    Bid as much as the upgrade is worth to you... if you win, bonus. If not you get the seat you paid for.
    What a result, £100 !

Master
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, it's our 30th wedding anniversary trip and if I hadn't already bagged the extra legroom seats I would probably have given it a punt. Looks like I may suggest a visit to Gnomon instead as a pink ceramic 39 ocean one has caught her eye. Don't want to spoil her too much!

Craftsman
    Have a look at this for future reference...

https://youtu.be/UghDK_kJoVM

Master
    Extra legroom economy are surely the best value proposition on the plane.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Have a look at this for future reference...

https://youtu.be/UghDK_kJoVM
    Bizarrely they're my neighbours!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The extra legroom seats on Singapore economy are great and your upgrade option will be to go to premium economy. Not worth it. To go to full business class is worth it but that isn't the option and it it is would be at least £1.2k each way

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Great advice as i used to fly this route twice a year...business has become too expensive and you will be lucky to upgrade at short notice as they tend to get booked up months in advance,certainly from UK to Singapore not as bad Singapore to Oz.

You have the best option so save your money for other things.

Mark

Master
    I had more or less come to the conclusion that I could spend the money better on indulgences on the trip, but my mind was made up for me this morning when Mrs Beanie announced that the vet was coming for one of her horses, who is now lame. Of course it is the one who has exclusions for legs on the insurance, and we all know what vets bills are like (last one was over £600, again for lameness; x-rays etc). In fairness, its an old boy from the World Horse Welfare that needed a retirement home, so we knew what we were getting.
    So thanks for your thoughts guys, but it's a big no from me. Next time maybe.