closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White as a car colour - thoughts?

I’m in the market for a new car at present - and for lots of brands white is not a ‘free’ colour any more. Eg with Ford, race red is free and VW its a nasty flat grey. I love the snobbish comments about ‘poverty spec’ white cars. Absolutely hilarious, imagine driving a car that doesn’t scream ‘look how much money I’ve got’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t seen anyone mention safety. A more visible car should be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Haven’t seen anyone mention safety. A more visible car should be preferable.
    Is there a stats available to support this claim ie that white care are more prone for accidents?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Don't know why but lots of the mega cheap leasing deals over the last few years on Pistonheads have been predominately "Peasant White"
    I couldn't stand looking at a white car for 3 years so happily paid extra.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Is there a stats available to support this claim ie that white care are more prone for accidents?
    Stats will be skewed by the people who choose each colour. Peasants who buy white cars are obviously not as able as the majority of TZers driving other colours.

I’m reliably informed by the local BMW dealer that 50% of the new cars they sell are white. There were quite a few on the showroom and they looked fine to me. If I was after a ‘poverty spec’ car I’d imagine I’d be knocking on Dacia‘s door not bmw?

I definitely concur with the difficulty in keeping black cars clean - until quite recently we had three black cars and I became almost an honorary Romanian down at the local hand car wash.

I then changed my daily driver to a metallic blue - which looks very nice and wears dirt much better.

Soon to arrive new car is selenite metallic grey - could have had black but just couldn’t face it again.

Mind you, we’ll still have two black cars and the wife’s never gets cleaned unless I do it...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Really depends on the car. White leaves nothing to be hidden, every contour and shadow is most visible on white. If the car is good looking, it will show off and IMO the best looking cars look best in white.

I had an '87 MR2 in white/silver, the old ruler-design was absolutely my thing and was probably the best looking car I owned.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m reliably informed by the local BMW dealer that 50% of the new cars they sell are white. There were quite a few on the showroom and they looked fine to me. If I was after a ‘poverty spec’ car I’d imagine I’d be knocking on Dacia‘s door not bmw?
    Yeah, that's the point. People who can afford a decent Ford or Nissan stretch their monthlies into a base model Beemer, then have to go for white as it's the only free colour.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I had an '87 MR2 in white/silver, the old ruler-design was absolutely my thing and was probably the best looking car I owned.
    That Mk1 MR2. What a design. Still love it.

Craftsman
    Recently in my local Land Rover dealer- the current colour options are very limited - lots of blacks, whites, greys and silver and a single red. Rather disappointing

Grand Master
    White and black will be classic colours for cars and clothes. The rest of the spectrum will come and go to relieve the boredom
    RIAC

Totally depends on the car. I had a white one series from work and the colour suited the car. We've had a Juke and a Qashqai as personal Cara and white in them would have been awful.

My wife has the same model of car as mine, hers is a very nice blue, mine is a slightly off white, almost like the Old English White found on jags back in the day. The differences are mine is far cooler to get into on a hot day, and looks clean for far longer after washing. Long live the peasants!

I have a white Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. I never wash it and (in my head at least) it always looks cleaner than other colour cars that I’ve owned and never washed. As mentioned, it’s certainly easier to live with than black, especially in a hard water area.

But it’s basically a big white box that plugs in to the mains, and the light comes on when you open the door, so my mates refer to it as The Fridge.

My argument that it’s pearlescent, and who’s ever seen a pearlescent fridge, is apparently “b*ll*cks*

Craftsman
    Ordered my next Jaaaaag in white. With black pack / wheels, tints, etc.

Take delivery in a Couple of weeks, luckily it's company car so I don't have to worry about resale.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

My third car was a green Cavalier like this:

My dear old superstitious mum was horrified, as she maintained that green cars were unlucky.

I remember the last time white cars went out of fashion in the 1990s. I think 'block of lard' was a common description. As already noted, some white cards with gloss black trim can look very smart.

White as a car colour - thoughts?

When I lived in South Africa white 4x4’s etc just “popped” in the African sunlight. In Northern Europe the UV rays don’t quite hit the mark imho.

Grey is perfect here in the U.K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chinnock; 28th September 2019 at 07:17.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I have a poverty spec flat white weekender. I like it and that's all that matters.

Now that's one thing I'd never do. Red leather interior. White Z4 is nice and the xenon's take it out of the poverty spec but the red is just so loud. Must be a great drive though. Bet it's a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Now that's one thing I'd never do. Red leather interior. White Z4 is nice and the xenon's take it out of the poverty spec but the red is just so loud. Must be a great drive though. Bet it's a blast.
    It's Coral red which is not so loud and other than the two seats, there's not too much of it. The headliner is anthracite so really darkers the interior when the roof is up.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Must be a great drive though. Bet it's a blast.
    Yeah it's fun. I sometimes wish I'd gone for a bigger engine (mine is the 23i, 2.5 straight six) but this is more than enough fun in sport+

Master
    Depends. Are you a hairdresser?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Depends. Are you a hairdresser?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    What if I am?

I like your weekender, I like the white and I like the red seats. Nice one.

Blog Entries
    I had an XF as a company car in my last job.
    By the time I’d added a few options (higher BHP, auto, bigger alloys) I’d hit my budget limit.
    - so I ended up with poverty spec white...

... which looked pretty good IMHO.
    ... no coincidence that many of the press shots at the time were white XFs.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 29th September 2019 at 21:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I used to drive an old, grey car (tarmac colour!) and had folks pulling out in front of me all the time. I fitted daytime lights and had no further problems.

I’ve been looking at the VW Tiguan R line and noticed that every publicity shot, every advert the car is in white. Been to their site and played around with the colours and white is clearly the best choice, poverty spec or not (although I notice the pearlescent white is by far the most expensive option - a sort of stealth wealth colour !)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    It totally depends on the car I think. Some look great in white, and others look awful...Discovery 4 for example looked like an ice cream van.
    A white 4x4 with blacked out windows looks cool...

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I've had a few white cars over the years and quite like them on the right car - each to their own.

One point of caution - I had a BMW in metallic mineral white. Turned out it was almost impossible to paint match the repair after some lovely sole scraped it in a car park - fortunately it was a company vehicle so didn't cost me, but the repair looked shocking despite various attempts to rectify.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Blacked out windows never look cool on any car imo and if you then couple with dark colours they just make the car look like a van.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    I've had a few white cars over the years and quite like them on the right car - each to their own.

One point of caution - I had a BMW in metallic mineral white. Turned out it was almost impossible to paint match the repair after some lovely sole scraped it in a car park - fortunately it was a company vehicle so didn't cost me, but the repair looked shocking despite various attempts to rectify.
    Was that Dover?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Was that Dover?
    Sounds like it was a lemon

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    No it doesn’t, it looks silly. Blacked out windows look daft with any colour but white looks even dafter.

White 4x 4s look like fridges in white.......perhaps that’s ‘cool’?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    No it doesn’t, it looks silly. Blacked out windows look daft with any colour but white looks even dafter.

White 4x 4s look like fridges in white.......perhaps that’s ‘cool’?
    You should get out more...them walls could appear to be closing in.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    You should get out more...them walls could appear to be closing in.
    Nothing to do with getting out more! I know crap when I see it, a white 4x4 with blacked out windows and black wheels fits that criteria. Looks bad on several different levels, a proper pimps motor.

Worst color IMO. Vile to wash and polish because the sun reflects into your eyes

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Worst color IMO. Vile to wash and polish because the sun reflects into your eyes
    Just reminded me of another reason I dislike white cars. In 1990 I bought a nearly new XR3 in white, spent all the next day polishing it with my shirt off and got properly sunburnt. Next few days were uncomfortable, I still remember it well. I only polished it because the white showed all the blemishes........nowadays I wouldn’t bother!

Some very funny posts in this thread 😂

Nothing to do with getting out more! I know crap when I see it, a white 4x4 with blacked out windows and black wheels fits that criteria. Looks bad on several different levels, a proper pimps motor.
    Opinions are like ar$eholes though aren't they ? Everyone has one but some folk aren't fussed about presenting theirs in public.
    Now it transpires you don't like white cars because you got roasted in the sunshine cleaning one. Logic that is...

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Sounds like it was a lemon

I fear it is me who is the lemon.

Funnily enough the damage was inflicted in Portsmouth. Many from the other end of the M27 would suggest it was a skate rather than a sole wot done it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Opinions are like ar$eholes though aren't they ? Everyone has one but some folk aren't fussed about presenting theirs in public.
    Now it transpires you don't like white cars because you got roasted in the sunshine cleaning one. Logic that is...
    What colour’s your car, Reggie?.........methinks it might be white!

Regardless of my sunburn episode, I still think they look crap, especially the expensive ones.

Regardless of my sunburn episode, I still think they look crap, especially the expensive ones.
    Methinks you'd be completely wrong. It's Osmium Grey Metallic, rather un-white actually. Now go and get that Factor 50 slapped on !!

I find the most offensive colour to be that of white men with sunburnt skin.