closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Islander 200m Dive Watch

Islander 200m Dive Watch

Well done to Mark from Long Island Watch Company. I agree with him that he’s giving people what they want and at £240 it’s great value too.

Edit - I intended inserting a link to YouTube here but stupid iOS13 won’t allow me to paste anything into the forum any more :(

It’s an interesting idea but hardly original
    Is it a modded 007 or is it made from scratch?

Made from scratch with improvements, the way Eddie does. Not everything has to be original, if you watch the video you’ll see that he’s delivering a product that meets the feedback he’s had from clients. Give the people what they want!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s an interesting idea but hardly original
    Is it a modded 007 or is it made from scratch?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 23rd September 2019 at 19:35.

Fair enough. The price is very similar to a 007 so can’t see the USP myself.

The USP is that the SKX has been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Fair enough. The price is very similar to a 007 so can’t see the USP myself.

But it’s still available to buy new. Seiko has also reintroduced the 007 as a Seiko 5. (With some changes to spec)
    Getting watch to market in that price bracket should be welcomed but just copying the 007 seems a bit aimless / lazy to me. A bit of a missed opportunity.
    I might be in the minority though.

Nice Seiko, can someone explain this?;

List Price: $399.00
    Island Watch Price: $299.00
    Savings: $100.00

Introductory offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    Nice Seiko, can someone explain this?;

List Price: $399.00
    Island Watch Price: $299.00
    Savings: $100.00

I don’t want to rain on your parade, David, but I too am struggling a bit with this one.

The SKX may be discontinued, but both models are still available new and a couple of days ago Massdrop (Drop?) were knocking them out for $180.

A list price of $399 - I assume the $299 price is only temporary - starts to look a little tricky when you can buy a PADI Turtle on bracelet (a much better watch than the SKX imo) in the UK for £310...

Simon

Master
    Good luck to him but I think people are getting too hung up on their new Seiko 5 being the “SKX replacement”.

There’s no way the new Seiko 5 (with 100m WR & no screw down crown) is a replacement for the SKX. It’s a dabble into the market for desk divers and people who want the modded look without doing it.

I’m pretty sure Seiko will bring out a new SKX soon which will be a budget certified diver with 200m WR and a screw down crown. Then it’ll be heavily discounted everywhere just like the SKX used to be from creation etc. What was it we used to be able to get the SKX for years ago? Sure I paid £130 for a 009 J model and the K’s were even cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I’m pretty sure Seiko will bring out a new SKX soon which will be a budget certified diver with 200m WR and a screw down crown. Then it’ll be heavily discounted everywhere just like the SKX used to be from creation etc. What was it we used to be able to get the SKX for years ago? Sure I paid £130 for a 009 J model and the K’s were even cheaper.
    My Mrs bought me a 009J from Creation on the rubber for the grand sum of £109, albeit just over 5 years ago. As an aside, still going strong and runs at +2spd

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovial Joe View Post
    My Mrs bought me a 009J from Creation on the rubber for the grand sum of £109, albeit just over 5 years ago. As an aside, still going strong and runs at +2spd
    I wanted to say it was less money but couldn’t remember. It was probably similar money I paid as it must have been 6-7 years ago and I’m sure at the time there was a seller here selling K versions for around £100.

Morning Simon - it's not my parade to rain on; I have no loyalty to Long Island Watch Company and I don't have a dog in this fight. I just thought that, from a business opportunity perspective, they'd hit the sweet-spot of providing an alternative to a much-loved and now discontinued watch. When new SKX can no longer be found they'll sell loads of the Islander.

Personally and as a huge fan of the Seiko SKX, I must admit that I prefer the look and spec of the Islander and would buy one before another SKX.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I don’t want to rain on your parade, David, but I too am struggling a bit with this one.

The SKX may be discontinued, but both models are still available new and a couple of days ago Massdrop (Drop?) were knocking them out for $180.

A list price of $399 - I assume the $299 price is only temporary - starts to look a little tricky when you can buy a PADI Turtle on bracelet (a much better watch than the SKX imo) in the UK for £310...

Simon

Has anyone bought one?

Certainly an improvement on the Seiko it takes inspiration from but that is not saying much.
    Certainly would take that over the Seiko any day.

Master
    Tempting but can't get away with the logo on the face for some reason.

IMO, a regular skx is just fine for grab n go cheap basic everyday allrounder...

but I would like to see some comparison with all these skx hommages...islander, dagaz, heimdallr, sharkey, sanmartin etc. to really see who is the best buck

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Master
    I don't think it's out of kilter with its peers. It's more expensive than an SKX, but it has the NH36 upgraded movement, sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel. Better comparison perhaps is the Newmark 71, which is a similar price?

Also nice to see the 38mm option- that's what I'd go for, in pepsi.

I agree, the decision to provide 38mm versions is an excellent one. Personally I'd go for the full size in black dial with dive bezel (not countdown). The issue I have is cost when shipping to the UK. If you take the $10 shipping option it'll take 2 - 6 weeks which I think is too long to wait. The quicker option is $46 which means the total cost including VAT and handling will be around $411 / £320.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I don't think it's out of kilter with its peers. It's more expensive than an SKX, but it has the NH36 upgraded movement, sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel. Better comparison perhaps is the Newmark 71, which is a similar price?

Also nice to see the 38mm option- that's what I'd go for, in pepsi.