closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Netflix/Amazon series or boxed sets....

Netflix/Amazon series or boxed sets....

There's some good series to watch, sometimes several seasons of them.
    I'm doing everything I can to avoid.
    Watch one episode.. hooked.... commited to watching 8-30 hours.
    Merde
    Then the follow on series.
    Double merde
    Need to cut down.

No more series...no more boxed sets....will be watching pukka films only in future.

Just me?

Just watched The Spy on Netflix. Outstanding. Would have loved 80 hours of it!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just watched The Spy on Netflix. Outstanding. Would have loved 80 hours of it!
    Great.
    But do you feel you need to cut down?
    I'm feeling I'm spending too much time in front of the box.

In short, yes, but I don't watch much now. When I was in the middle of breaking bad, the good wife, game of thrones etc I was very conscious that I need to be doing something else and cut down but I haven't found a new series to binge and to be honest I'm really happy this way.

One show at a time from now on and after its over I enjoy a break.

I know what you mean.

Having recently purchased Netflix again, I'm watching 'Designated Survivor' - but it wasn't until I reached episode 11 or so, and what I thought was a possible culmination of the storyline, that I belatedly realised there's a mammoth 21 (twenty one) episodes.

I mean, I'm quite enjoying it in a mindless, amiably diverting kind of way, but I can't help but feel 21 episodes is a bit of a waste of my finite viewing time (and probably just a waste of time, full stop) - especially when I get the impression most of these shows are deliberately padded-out for runtime (who can forget the horror that was 'Lost'?). I'll probably keep slogging on until the end of Series One, but I doubt I enjoy it enough to commit to further series.

I like the longer format of TV shows, as it allows for proper exploration of characters & themes, but when 'The Sopranos', 'Mad Men', 'Breaking Bad', 'Gomorrah' or 'Band of Brothers' can do what they do so well in just 10-13 episodes per season, then anything beyond that just seems like wasteful filler.

Recently found myself binge watching a few US docu-dramaa on Netflix. Started with Vietnam which was very hard hitting. Being in my 40's I only really understood the conflict from the conversations of my parents generation and it was now understand just what went on. Parallels to some situations today though it's clear lessons were learned with managing the war machine. The doc was by PBS and they have a few more which I've got earmarked to watch when I've got a quiet period coming up.

Another US series was Flint Town, again on Netflix, a fly on the wall type doc following Flint PD and the trials and tribulations that follow. Found it fascinating seeing the other side of Law Enforcement - dealing with a town spiraling into the abyss.

I try and stick to one show - watch all seasons/episodes available and then try something.

I used to flick all over the place and forgot what had happened between them all so got totally confused!

Currently going through Fargo which is very good. Prior to that it was Hannibal and The Boys. I have only recently started watching Netflix and Amazon series so some of the series are fairly old - but good!

Master
    I try to stay with one boxset at a time, and if I find I can't stop binge watching them then I stop watching half way thru an ep, I don't wait for the end which is designed to be a pageturner. I limit to one ep a day, or one and a half.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I know what you mean.

Having recently purchased Netflix again, I'm watching 'Designated Survivor' - but it wasn't until I reached episode 11 or so, and what I thought was a possible culmination of the storyline, that I belatedly realised there's a mammoth 21 (twenty one) episodes.

I mean, I'm quite enjoying it in a mindless, amiably diverting kind of way, but I can't help but feel 21 episodes is a bit of a waste of my finite viewing time (and probably just a waste of time, full stop) - especially when I get the impression most of these shows are deliberately padded-out for runtime (who can forget the horror that was 'Lost'?). I'll probably keep slogging on until the end of Series One, but I doubt I enjoy it enough to commit to further series.

I like the longer format of TV shows, as it allows for proper exploration of characters & themes, but when 'The Sopranos', 'Mad Men', 'Breaking Bad', 'Gomorrah' or 'Band of Brothers' can do what they do so well in just 10-13 episodes per season, then anything beyond that just seems like wasteful filler.
    I love Breaking Bad, Sopranos but never went for Mad Men, I was dropping off some stuff in the charity shop and they had the MM full boxset, I was tempted but really want to start with one season first.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I love Breaking Bad, Sopranos but never went for Mad Men.
    I don't blame you at all - I also bought the first season but failed to engage with it at first attempt, bailing after one or two episodes.

It's only once I gave it a second go that I grew to really love it. It's a much harder premise I think to initially warm to.

I mean, it's an office environment in the 1960's - it's hard to compete with Mafioso mayhem and crystal meth empires.

The thing I admire about The Sopranos is that you can easily just enjoy it at face value and skate along the surface of witty dialogue, frequent nudity, killer soundtrack & violent action, or you can also delve a little deeper into the themes, symbolism and existentialism.

Mad Men has the wisecracks & sex, but the advertising business isn't quite as exciting or direct as Walter White's criminal dealings and gradual character transition from white to black (or at least a very dark grey).

But I think Mad Men is thematically the most interesting of them all from a human perspective, and the writing is superb, at times moving and almost profound. The dialogue is frequently hilarious and the characters are also excellent.

When I am looking around and see some interesting shows then see there are 5 or 6 series and that puts me off starting to watch them as it is quite a time commitment to watch the lot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by imb1 View Post
    When I am looking around and see some interesting shows then see there are 5 or 6 series and that puts me off starting to watch them as it is quite a time commitment to watch the lot.
    By the 5th or 6th series they usually aren’t worth watching anyway.