closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina DS PH200M - catchy name, huh?

Certina DS PH200M - catchy name, huh?

A recent pick up from the SC, and I thought I'd share some pictures and first impressions.

Well, first impressions are good. It's not small - it's vintage-looking, rather than vintage sized, but that's OK - 42 mm is about my sweet spot.

Big thick bezel insert, so the dial is a little smaller than you might expect, but perfectly in proportion. Slim in profile, even on a NATO.

Good sized crown, 60-click bezel. The polished hands are filled with luminous material that glows blue and lasts well into the night. Caseback is nice, although I should have given it a clean before taking this picture!

The interesting bit is under the hood - it uses the ETA Powermatic 80 (.111) movement, already found in some Tissot watches, and it boasts an 80 hour PR - not too shabby.

As a package, it impresses - Pelican-style case, on leather with QR springbars, and a little baggie of spare bars so you can swap the strap out for the included NATO. All this for (used, from the SC) £350. A lot of watch for the price.

I've been wearing it on a NATO, and it's very comfortable. I'm pleased with it. I'll probably flip it because it isn't my DC66, but that's not a black mark against it.

I think these look fantastic, very similar to the original from a brand with a rich history, what’s not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had a long look at these, as I thought it would be a great addition to my collection, but relatively indifferent reviews wrt lume, lack of bezel lume to set it apart and disappearing silver hands (white next time please) meant I kept my money in my pocket. ~40mm dive watch is a base I have covered anyhow, so although I still find it attractive, I shan't be investing in one.
    D

I think it's an excellent watch, and I can't see anything else that would take my fancy at your buying price. This year they do a mesh bracelet version, and I almost bought one in Sept, but couldn't quite reach a deal on the price to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think it's an excellent watch, and I can't see anything else that would take my fancy at your buying price. This year they do a mesh bracelet version, and I almost bought one in Sept, but couldn't quite reach a deal on the price to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Try Jura, while they didn't quite price match a really good deal I'd seen from an EU based dealer on Chrono 24 a couple of weeks ago, they did come pretty close.

I can confirm that the mesh bracelet is very comfortable and looks the biz, the blue NATO the mesh bracelet version comes with looks to be pretty high quality too. No pictures from me just yet as my lovely, generous partner offered to to buy it for me for Xmas, so it was squirrelled away immediately after the bracelet had been re-sized.

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I'll probably flip it because it isn't my DC66, but that's not a black mark against it.

Mine was the most accurate mechanical I've owned, and the long power reserve was useful. Really good watches.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

I was going to buy one 'til I saw the size of the damn thing! Love the design, but I wish they'd stuck to the dimensions of the original.

I bought the 41mm DS Action Titanium dive watch instead, with the Precidrive movement. I've got a review half written, I'll post it soon if I ever get round to taking some photos!

Alex

Very impressive watch. I nearly bought one but couldn’t quite get over the way the bezel seems to overhang the case...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah and the name is terrible!

It's a good looking reproduction, as it would be as it is so faithful to the original, except size.
    As for the name, not catchy, but older than many on this forum (but not me )

Trying to bond with it again today, wearing it on a 20mm GGB velcro, and I like the look.

Master
    I loved everything about this watch when I had one. Only went as I needed funds to buy a new watch - as you do! Seriously tempted to break my no buy backs rule!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I really like mine and it’s one of my favourite watches. It’s enormously good value for the price,even if you buy it new.
    Here is a slightly pretentious shot of it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks the dogs dangly's on an Erika's as well.

Master
    Liked the look of these, saw One locally in a closing down sale and went into the store fully expecting to walk out with it... But on the wrist, found the Bezel too deep making the dial feel (look) too small for a 42mm case.
    Thought the Bezel clicks felt cheap too, maybe a bit harsh, it is a cheap Watch. Can’t argue with the price, straps and packaging though.
    P.S. Appears to be a bit of a Journo’s Darling, so I assume the PR Dept have been handing out a few freebies !
    Or am I just cynical ?!

I was really keen on one of these until I saw it in the metal. Just didn’t look quite right to me - something about the lugs but can’t put my finger on it. Didn’t even try it on I was that unimpressed. Shame as I love it in pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just sold mine. It looks great ("wears" much slimmer than it's dimensions would have you believe), the 80 hours power reserve is impressive, and it sported a +/- 0 second time keeping after wearing it for two days. In the end I just thought that the case and bezel were too wide, if it had been 40 mm or so I'd probably have kept it for life.

I’ve been tempted but as I have a similar CWC am not sure I’d wear it. On balance I think the CWC is better looking. The DS seems a bit “busy” in comparison.

Craftsman
    Here's my old one along with Selma the cat.

They are nice enough & reasonably priced, but I'll stick to my original version

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I picked one of these up new from Jura at the start of this year. Was supposed to be available in Nov 18 but 2 shipping delays pushed delivery into the new year. Have to say that is has become a firm favourite on the black and blue striped canvas strap that came in the box - was never really sold on the beige leather strap the watch came on. Lume on the bezel would be good but it's not the end of the world and actually helps with the vintage vibe. Size is spot on for me. I took the watch to France with me in June on holiday and really bonded with it. Great summer watch. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

SGR

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Mine was the most accurate mechanical I've owned, and the long power reserve was useful. Really good watches.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

I think Certina only offer a mesh bracelet for this model, what bracelet is this please ?

Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    I think Certina only offer a mesh bracelet for this model, what bracelet is this please ?
    It's a watch gecko strap. It's made for one of their own models with solid end links. Not a perfect fit, but good enough.

Journeyman
    Definitely pleasing to the eye. Something unique
    Enjoy the purchase :)