closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: V70 Volvo 2.4 diesel or petrol

V70 Volvo 2.4 diesel or petrol

Looking for a cheapish load lugger up to £1500. Seen a few v70 around 02 plate to 05 plate.
    Anyone had one of these and what engine is the preferred choice ?
    Mileage will only be about 4000m a year
    Reliability is more important than mpg
    Cheers Andy

I had one with a petrol engine. I took the view that my mileage was such (not dissimilar to you at c. 5k per year) that condition was more important than fuel so bought the best example I could find for my budget and that happened to be petrol. It was great, very reliable and a very comfortable drive plus I prefer a petrol engine anyway.

We've got a 2005 V70 2.4 D5 that we've had for a couple of years now. Does 45mpg on average and is a typical Volvo... easy and comfortable to drive, cruises effortlessly, swallows loads in the boot ( I can sleep full length in the back with the rear seats folded down).

Currently on about 118K Relaibility wise, its not let us down, though we did have to replace the Clutch and flywheel £650 ish at 112K this year, but that was the original clutch which isnt bad for a 14 year old car.

Other than that its only been consumable service items.

Keep an eye out for car with FSH, you can find them with one previous (normally oap) owner who tend to look after them and replace them when they get to 100K or 150K, when they are good for double that.

Avoid the after 2005 diesel models as they come with DPF's and all the associated problems.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you don't have to travel into London, the diesel is a great car. Be warned though, the WORST turning circle of anything I have ever driven!

Master
    4k? don't even think about derv. DMFs & DPFs could hurt your wallet sore. Plus it will be much nicer to drive of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    4k? don't even think about derv. DMFs & DPFs could hurt your wallet sore. Plus it will be much nicer to drive of course.
    Bear in mind that something in the 02 - 05 range won't have a DPF to worry about, and that both petrol and diesel vehicles have dual mass flywheels.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I drove an S80 with the 2.4 petrol engine for a number of years. It's a very reliable engine and a very comfortable drive. Not sure about the UK, but over here there are two versions of the petrol engine: a 140 hp and a 170 hp. Given that the V70 is even heavier, and the fact you want to use it as a load carrier, the 170 may be the better choice.

I had a V70 2.4 petrol 170 and it was great, if a bit thirsty. Garages commented how easy they are to work on, worth bearing in mind they are very long and low - and as others have said a terrible turning circle! Currently have anXC60 2.4D5 AWD, also needs an airfield to turn around but very swift for such a big car. Better ride on motorways than B roads though, gets a bit bouncy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 57 reg Audi A4 Avant S Line diesel if you are flexible on your car choice.

High mileage (197k), but I have owned it since new and it is very reliable. Motorway miles as my 'irregular' commute was either 120 miles per day or 600 miles over 2 days now.
    No DPF to worry about as it was one of the last to be manufactured without one.

Happy to send you the Autotrader link if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have a 57 reg Audi A4 Avant S Line diesel if you are flexible on your car choice.

High mileage (197k), but I have owned it since new and it is very reliable. Motorway miles as my 'irregular' commute was either 120 miles per day or 600 miles over 2 days now.
    No DPF to worry about as it was one of the last to be manufactured without one.

Happy to send you the Autotrader link if you are interested.
    Yes please. Thanks Andy

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Yes please. Thanks Andy
    Have sent PM and emailed too.

ive sent you a cheap car via whats app Andy

There's a nice looking Saab estate locally - have a look on FB marketplace - well under budget

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    There's a nice looking Saab estate locally - have a look on FB marketplace - well under budget
    Make sure you make friends with your local second hand parts place though as you can't buy bigger all new for them these days!

My boss had a 51 plate 2.4 140 bhp V70 petrol until a couple of years back. It was still going strong at 265K miles with nothing more than routine maintenance and was regularly charging around Europe until he got rid of it. He bought an XC60 to replace it and the engine has just let go at 3.5 years old. Needless to say he is not impressed..

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    My boss had a 51 plate 2.4 140 bhp V70 petrol until a couple of years back. It was still going strong at 265K miles with nothing more than routine maintenance and was regularly charging around Europe until he got rid of it. He bought an XC60 to replace it and the engine has just let go at 3.5 years old. Needless to say he is not impressed..

Cheers,

Plug
    We still have one of these which has been between Yorkshire and Barcelona many times,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.