closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review of Rolex Yacht-Master ref.16622

Review of Rolex Yacht-Master ref.16622

I borrowed one from a friend, photographed it and wrote a quick review. I hope you like it.

LINK TO THE REVIEW

Last edited by JPE; 22nd September 2019 at 20:18.

Master
    Hi JPE

What a brilliant review, it answers all the question in a nice succint manner.

You have actually got me foaming at the mouth here. I have never ever considered a Yacht Master but right now I certainly want to buy one, very understated but also very classy.

I will definately look into this.

Thanks Mick.

Yes it's a beautiful watch in the flesh. Very shiny and expensive looking. Like I said it'd be a perfect watch for someone who wants a little bit of bling but shy away from 18K gold.

I was really impressed with the watch.

Blog Entries
    Nice one, thanks.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Another great review. The YM has to be one of the most underrated Rolex models.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Another great review. The YM has to be one of the most underrated Rolex models.
    Thanks.

Yeah but the price might have something to do with its popularity too. When this Rolesium version was new it was more expensive than a Daytona.

That 42mm version with a rubber strap leaves me cold though. It's hard to find anything desirable with that model. But maybe it's nicer in the flesh too?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah but the price might have something to do with its popularity too. When this Rolesium version was new it was more expensive than a Daytona.

That 42mm version with a rubber strap leaves me cold though. It's hard to find anything desirable with that model. But maybe it's nicer in the flesh too?

I got to try one of these recently, clumsy big.

The blue dial 40mm YM is the sweet spot - and available for less than RRP which is a bonus.

Another great review, thank you.

Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on a few more watches and keep them coming :)

As others have said, great review.

I’ve literally just tried on a 37mm steel and platinum one this afternoon. I was passing the local AD and spotted what appeared to be a very attractive watch in the window. Never even looked at the YM as a serious proposition before. A friend has the 44mm steel and Everose version, which distinctly turns me off. Looks fine on him but way too big and bling for me.

However, I’ve been blown away with the 37mm I tried on. Genuinely stunning on my small wrist. Just shiny enough, just big enough, just lovely! That’s another one to add to the wish list....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Enjoyed the read.

YM does nothing for me though, see it as arguably the worst watch Rolex make.

Always liked the 116622BLSO

Just the right side of bling and not seen too often

Thanks, all.

@Ivan Drago: I agree that some YM models aren't that great. I'm not a big fan of the TT versions, either... and YM2 is a great watch but I find the design very unattractive.

But the Rolesium versions grey and blue are pretty good. Try them on wrist and you'll see.

Great review, about time this lovely watch got some attention, always under rated and surprisingly still not a popular model even though it’s been discontinued for a few years now. I’ve owned one for a while and the dial is sublime, it sparkles like a sea of diamonds and really comes to life - just like the Platinum bezel when caught in the right lighting.
    I don’t think any of the latest YM models can match it IMHO.

Master

I bought my 16622 new 5 years ago. Could have had the 116622, but prefer the more elegant lugs and slimmer clasp of the 5-digit.

The combination of steel case & bracelet, white gold hands and platinum dial & bezel is wonderful, especially in sunlight, when the frosted platinum changes colour.

The more you wear it, the cleverer you realise the design is.

The best images are Jocke's:
    http://www.watchwallpapers.com/16622.htm
    Last edited by Tinker; 24th September 2019 at 01:01.

Craftsman
    I’ve got the Rhodium dial version , to me the best of them all.

Only waited a week for it as well ....

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Great review, about time this lovely watch got some attention, always under rated and surprisingly still not a popular model even though it’s been discontinued for a few years now.
    Thanks man. Much appreciated.

But it was this Rolesium version which brought YM to the spotlight in the first place. Before that YM didn't really have a real identity in the lineup (as I wrote in the review). And like I said the price was very high... more than a SS Daytona back in the day. That must have been a big factor too.

But I agree... not many reviews of this model. I wasn't a big fan, either... but after having this in my possession for a day I changed my mind. This watch has to be witnessed in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I bought my 16622 new 5 years ago. Could have had the 116622, but prefer the more elegant lugs and slimmer clasp of the 5-digit.

The combination of steel case & bracelet, white gold hands and platinum dial & bezel is wonderful, especially in sunlight, when the frosted platinum changes colour.

The more you wear it, the cleverer you realise the design is.

The best images are Jocke's:
    http://www.watchwallpapers.com/16622.htm
    Here Jocke takes off the bezel and examines it closely. If I did something like this I'd definitely destroy the watch, haha.
    http://www.watchwallpapers.com/plat.htm

Journeyman
    I had one of these for a couple of years and it was a great watch, worked on a day to day and still looked smart when needed. It was missed for sometime after trading...

Great review and a big blast of nostalgia.

ISCB

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I’ve been lucky enough to own a few of them in the past and think they’re still undervalued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I enjoyed that review, thank you. The yacht master is a watch I had entirely overlooked, dismissing it as a silly expensive version of the sub as per the review. After reading that and looking at the great photos I too find I could change my mind for that steel and platinum version. I could see myself in the hunt for a white dialed dressier watch in the future and I'd have to put this on the short list now I think! Thanks.

Thanks, all.

However I'm not sure if it has been "completely overlooked". The Rolesium version 16622 was pretty solid seller I think. A lot of them available in the second hand market.

Craftsman
    Fantastic review thank you!

Craftsman
    Great review not sure how it doesn’t get the credit it deserves

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Great review not sure how it doesn’t get the credit it deserves

Yeah I also think it DOES get the credit it deserves. Rolesium was a solid seller.

Of course YM will never sell as much as the Submariner but it's not even realistic to except that kind of figures. Especially when the retail prices are so high. Second hand prices at Chrono24 seem to be pretty much on par with Sub and SD though.

Someone told me recently that YM looks like a 90'S "fashion watch" and that's why he didn't like it.

What do you think? A fair statement?

Well I love mine and wear it often :)

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Someone told me recently that YM looks like a 90'S "fashion watch" and that's why he didn't like it.

What do you think? A fair statement?
    I’m crushed that a random person said that to you, better sell mine immediately.

"Deriding something for being a fashion watch is a very fashionable choice for one's first step in watch criticism, isn't it? Very 'on point'. Well done. Nice GMT, by the way."

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I’m crushed that a random person said that to you, better sell mine immediately.
    No, I was just curious why he said that. Does YM have some special characteristics of the 90's "fashion watches"? I don't even know how the 90's fashion watches look like. Swatch was a fashion watch but that was the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    "Deriding something for being a fashion watch is a very fashionable choice for one's first step in watch criticism, isn't it? Very 'on point'. Well done. Nice GMT, by the way."
    Thanks man. :)

Interesting article on the Yacht-Master prototype. It was originally developed because Daytona was such a slow seller.

https://www.pomelowatches.com/featur...ster-prototype

Master
    daytona slow seller? they should make more!