closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I service my Rolex Deepsea?

Master
    If your Sub is 17 years old, then Rolex recommended a service every 5 years for that particular model. You chose to take a chance and run it for over 3 times the recommended intervals. Sorry but that is nothing to boast about and confirms, to me at least, that any Rolex bought off a private buyer needs to go straight in for a service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If your Sub is 17 years old, then Rolex recommended a service every 5 years for that particular model. You chose to take a chance and run it for over 3 times the recommended intervals. Sorry but that is nothing to boast about and confirms, to me at least, that any Rolex bought off a private buyer needs to go straight in for a service.

It was over 17 years old when it went for service , it’s over 19 years old now , when I bought it I was never advised about service intervals , I’ve never read about them either , I’ve bought a few since then from a different dealer and no mention from them either, in fact your mention of five year service intervals is news to me.

Not boasting about anything , just stating a fact.

If you want to follow those guidelines, just crack on with it ,just don’t belittle those that may not agree with your point of view.

Master
    I’ve got a few Rolex, the oldest being a 2002. For the ones in rotation I will service every 10’years as per the latest advice.

In terms of water proofing I generally don’t get them wet (yes even the Deepsea) so that’s not an issue. The ones that I do are under warranty.

Craftsman

Copied from the Rolex website

How often do I need to service a Rolex?
    People also ask:
    "Why is servicing important for my Rolex watch?" / "How often should a Rolex watch be serviced?"
    To guarantee continued accuracy and waterproofness, Rolex recommends that you periodically return your watch to an Official Rolex Retailer or Service Centre for professional servicing. It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage.

Every 5 years it is then ....

Master
    Blog Entries
    At 10years of age, I would. Your may have a potential problem if you hang on for another few years

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Copied from the Rolex website

How often do I need to service a Rolex?
    People also ask:
    "Why is servicing important for my Rolex watch?" / "How often should a Rolex watch be serviced?"
    To guarantee continued accuracy and waterproofness, Rolex recommends that you periodically return your watch to an Official Rolex Retailer or Service Centre for professional servicing. It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage.

Every 5 years it is then ....
    You are unfit to wear a Rolex. The ten year ruling applies to the current models, not those over seventeen years of age when the recommendation was five years.

People like you make buying a pre owned Rolex a risky old business.

The only reason not to service a watch is not to pay the service bill and that makes you a tight fisted whatever.

Craftsman
    You are unfit to wear a Rolex. The ten year ruling applies to the current models, not those over seventeen years of age when the recommendation was five years.

The only reason not to service a watch is not to pay the service bill and that makes you a tight fisted whatever.

Unfit to wear a Rolex that I can’t afford to service , really ?

Still got every Rolex I’ve bought over the last 20 years , so buying off me couldn’t possibly be a risky business could it ?

Carry on with your misguided assumptions, it’ll be the downfall of you eventually .

Master
    Unfit to wear a Rolex that I can’t afford to service , really ?

Still got every Rolex I’ve bought over the last 20 years , so buying off me couldn’t possibly be a risky business could it ?

Carry on with your misguided assumptions, it’ll be the downfall of you eventually .
    Well at least we can all be rest assured that you won't be off loading your clapped out out junk onto to the rest of us.

Craftsman
    Well at least we can all be rest assured that you won't be off loading your clapped out out junk onto to the rest of us.
    Clapped out junk , that I’m unfit to wear and can’t afford to get serviced , just for clarification.

You Sir , need help.
    Last edited by Buster73; 25th September 2019 at 20:03.

Craftsman
    Clapped out junk , that I’m unfit to wear and can’t afford to get serviced , just for clarification.

Your Sir , need help.
    It’s obviously the sangria talking, just ignore.

No, no, and no.

The 10 year rule came about as Rolex advised its AD's That the average owner had their watch serviced every 10 years - the new movement was not in use when this was advised.

Balls - people like him make up a huge percentage of owners - it's your choice if you buy a watch that's been serviced 5 times or once - I would not bet on the more serviced watch being the better buy in all instances.

A reason not to service a watch might be - because it doesn't bloody well need one.

I'm glad you have all your watches serviced and feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but don't for one minute think your opinion is more valid than anyone else's, or indeed any better informed, as quite clearly on a number of occasions you have highlighted that it is not!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 25th September 2019 at 20:04.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    It’s obviously the sangria talking, just ignore.
    If that is the best you can manage, just give up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No, no, and no.

The 10 year rule came about as Rolex advised its AD's That the average owner had their watch serviced every 10 years - the new movement was not in use when this was advised.

Balls - people like him make up a huge percentage of owners - it's your choice if you buy a watch that's been serviced 5 times or once - I would not get on the more serviced watch being the better buy in all instances.

A reason not to service a watch might be - because it doesn't bloody well need one.

I'm glad you have all your watches serviced and feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but don't for one minute think your opinion is more valid than anyone else's, or indeed any better informed, as quite clearly on a number of occasions you have highlighted that it is not!
    If any owner skimps on servicing, then so be it. All it does is confirm my view that the hobby is full of tight wads and that my policy of having any pre owned watch that I buy from a private owner serviced right away is a sensible one.

Master
    My ceramic sub started playing up at 5 years and one week old these people who have had their watches for 10 years plus with no probs are luckier than me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    the new movement was not in use when this was advised.
    Fairly sure it was. They just changed the tags in 2015 and updated the advice. The 4130 and 3135 I had were no different from the ones sold with a green tag....

I get mine serviced, rather than wait for them to go wrong. 10 years seems to be a fair interval, even for dive watches.

Modern seals don't need to be replaced frequently (and are likely good for 20+ yrs) so 10 yr service intervals is entirely adequate IMO. Over a 1000 dives wearing a dive watch and I've never had a failure....which is more than I can say for my dive computers.

Master
    Well it’s pretty clear there’s two distinct camps ha!

I think you’ve either got mechanical sympathy or you haven’t, you’re either proactive or reactive.

One thing’s for sure, even putting the movement aside what the watch will get at service is new seals! That worries me more than the movement parts, people going 15/20 years with a dive watch expecting the depth rating written on the dial to be like some magic shield. Main concern is of people have older watches with dials that aren’t replaceable. Replacing mvt parts is usually the easy part but some dials are just not available.

So OP, does that concise and comprehensive discussion clear up the question nicely for you!?

Craftsman

Actually,

I think I got more input then I expected and it has givven me a lot to think about. May I thank everybody for their YEA or NAY....It was a very interesting and helpful read.

Very big thanks to all,
    Guillermo

Grand Master
    I get to look at seals often, and it surprises me how well they last in modern watches. Last time I saw a perished seal, where the surface of the rubber was cracking, was on a 2002 Rolex belonging to me! I bought the watch in 2008, supposedly serviced, it's always run nicely, but when I refinished it a couple of years ago I was surprised to see that the caseback seal (large O ring) was in poor shape. It still sealed but close inspection (and a gentle stretch) showed it to be cracking on the surface. Easy to replace, it's a standard O ring, but not what I expected. Usually I find the O rings have flattened and compressed slightly, but the rubber isn't normally degraded.

On old watches (60s/70s) anything can happen, ranging from the seals forming a sticky tar to the caseback seal going solid. Usually the rubber has taken on the consistency of marshmellow, losing all elasticity.

Master

Should I service my Rolex Deepsea?

Sorry to revisit an old thread, but I didn’t want to get abuse for repeating “the same old” but with a new thread.

Having just been looking for a 116660 I was amazed at the amount of dealers that I spoke to said the watch had been checked over in the work shop and a service wasn’t needed even if the watch was 8-10 years old.

I also contacted Watchworks in Bristol (Rocco)to see if they did servicing as I thought that I would buy one and get it serviced locally but I was told that no external workshops are authorised to service them and that they have to go back to Rolex. Where does that leave the abundance of watches that have been “checked in the workshop” if they, I presume aren’t supposed to open them up as it knackers the pressure test. Can a watch service needs be determined fully by other means if the back isn’t removed? Can they still be water tight around 10 years and how is that retested ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 14th July 2020 at 13:23.

I am guess the check will be a quick once over of all functions (date and time adjust) the bezel moves and then quick session on a timeographer to determine performance at best.

With regard to water resistance, I would expect a well sealed watch with modern seals to still be water resistant after 10 years but it will be unlikely to meet the original specification. The gaskets do perish over time so if taking it swimming / diving I would get the seals replaced and the case tested.

I would be looking for a fully serviced Deepsea or I would be factoring in the cost of a service in the purchase price.

I would like to try one but the potential issues you highlight mean I cannot be bothered with the likely hassle (and extra cost) that would result (That said I did think the same of a MM300 - still bought one though)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th July 2020 at 10:46.

Craftsman
    Love this conversation. I understand the logic of 'if it isn't broke, leave it alone', however I would also like to think I have a basic understanding of mechanical sympathy and on that basis I value the benefits of a service, be it for a car, watch, teeth, boiler (not so much the last 2 but anyway...) etc.

I have a 2004 automatic that's never been serviced or opened and for the last few years its only been worn sparingly. Yesterday I dropped it off to the Watchdoctors in Tring for them to asses whether it needs a service. Lets see what they say.

One thing I'm not so happy about is that the quote price of a service is the same irrespective of whether or not the watch is polished. Will be interesting to see what they come back with, as fundamentally I would not pay the full price for a service and then allow them to do a proportion of the work.

Master

Seems strange to spend lots of cash on a watch and not want to spend money to make sure that it doesn’t die if I go near a pool or the sea or even a washing up bowl for that matter! I only found two that had documented Rolex history. Both were well north of £8500 and from dealers. Watch Works are happy to carry out Rolex services minus the cleaning bit FWIW and drop some money from the cost. Pity they can’t service 116660 though.

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 14th July 2020 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Seems strange to spend lots of cash on a watch and not want to spend money to make sure that it doesn’t die if I go near a pool or the sea or even a washing up bowl for that matter! I only found two that had documented Rolex history. Both were well north of £8500 and from dealers. Watch Works are happy to carry out Rolex services minus the cleaning bit FWIW and drop £100. Pity they can’t service 116660 though.

In my opinion it is daft to buy a watch and not have it perform / conform to the original spec - regardless of the fact you will never use it. The technical abilities of a watch such as this are one of the main draws.

Having a super water resistant watch that you cannot trust in the washing up bowl defeats the purpose of owning one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    In my opinion it is daft to buy a watch and not have it perform / conform to the original spec - regardless of the fact you will never use it. The technical abilities of a watch such as this are one of the main draws.

Having a super water resistant watch that you cannot trust in the washing up bowl defeats the purpose of owning one.
    But you're not buying a watch to dive to 3000m (or whatever it is) so whether it's still capable of that doesn't really matter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    But you're not buying a watch to dive to 3000m (or whatever it is) so whether it's still capable of that doesn't really matter.
    For me it would be about getting the balance right. If I was regularly diving down to 3000m, then yes I would be getting it serviced in line with the spec. If the watch was only ever going to the local swimming pool then I would be stretching those service times.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    For me it would be about getting the balance right. If I was regularly diving down to 3000m, then yes I would be getting it serviced in line with the spec. If the watch was only ever going to the local swimming pool then I would be stretching those service times.
    No one dives that deep. Knock a 0 off and you're still at the extremities of what people actually do.

It's a technical smugness point - it's why I enjoyed my Sinn EZM-2 Hydro which was 5000m resistant. But I'd never kid myself that I was getting it serviced because I might need it to function on my wrist at that depth

Master
    I’m never going to dive to 3900m but I would still like it to be waterproof..Once a 116660 has been opened have you knackered the water tightness? Do “our jewellers workshops” even pressure test them to sea dweller levels? Or even to Submariner levels? Anyway , seems strange that most seem fine to to think it’s ok to simply not get it done at all even at 10 years as it still tells the time properly. Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I wouldn't bother unless you know the timekeeping is out, have factored in the cost already, or won't sleep until you know from Rolex it's all ok.

If you bought a car that could go 300mph would you send it back for a service to make sure it could go 300mph or would you not care because it's never going over 100mph?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    No one dives that deep. Knock a 0 off and you're still at the extremities of what people actually do.

It's a technical smugness point - it's why I enjoyed my Sinn EZM-2 Hydro which was 5000m resistant. But I'd never kid myself that I was getting it serviced because I might need it to function on my wrist at that depth
    So ,would you get it serviced if it was 10 years old and had never been serviced and you had the intention of wearing it shallow diving (up to 30m) or snorkelling or would you throw caution to the wind?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother unless you know the timekeeping is out, have factored in the cost already, or won't sleep until you know from Rolex it's all ok.

If you bought a car that could go 300mph would you send it back for a service to make sure it could go 300mph or would you not care because it's never going over 100mph?
    I have a bike that does 170mph which is fast enough. But if it hadn’t had a service for 10 years I wouldn’t go over 70 . In fact I’d think twice about going out on the road until it had been serviced!!

I have a bike that does 170mph which is fast enough. But if it hadn’t had a service for 10 years I wouldn’t go over 70 . In fact I’d think twice about going out on the road until it had been serviced!!

Me too, but what if the warranty was 5 years and the service intervals 10 years? What then? Highest I've got on my GSA was 132mph and tbh I'm not in a hurry to go back there. Wasn't comfy, the front was very light, and I was worried the alu panniers or top box would fly off.

So ,would you get it serviced if it was 10 years old and had never been serviced and you had the intention of wearing it shallow diving (up to 30m) or snorkelling or would you throw caution to the wind?

I'd get it pressure tested at the least, given you know 100% it's going to be submerged in water. Water ingress damage will cost you a lot more to rectify!

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Who waits until their car runs rough or breaks down before having it serviced ?
    Same old comment, my car seems to be running fine, should I take it in to the garage and have the engine stripped down and piston rings changed along with new bearings?
    Last edited by stevecross; 14th July 2020 at 12:36.

Yep I totally get that but for me the attraction of the watch in question is it’s technical abilities. If you have it tested for 30/100/200m it looses it USP for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep I totally get that but for me the attraction of the watch in question is it’s technical abilities. If you have it tested for 30/100/200m it looses it USP for me.
    I totally get that. It would be interesting to know if Rolex really pressure test these to their stated capabilities when serviced - do these models have to go back to Switzerland for a service?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Same old comment, my car seems to be running fine, should I take it in to the garage and have the engine stripped down and piston rings changed along with new bearings?
    Same old reposte. If a car engine fails could easily cost thousands. As long as a watch is watertight this isn’t going to happen.

Same old reposte. If a car engine fails could easily cost thousands. As long as a watch is watertight this isn’t going to happen.
    Unless it's a JlC

Thanks for that, not sure what your point is though?

Master
    Yeah, it’s only a piece of rubber that could bugger things up.... rubber doesn’t compress or go brittle does it...so it’ll be fine.
    I purchased a 20 year old bike last year TL1000R ..... lovely bike. It’s only the rubber seals and gaskets that have started to fail. It’s only done 9500 miles from new so hardly hard wear. The tyres were 2008, still with the needles on the side brand new but were hard as carrots!! I changed them straight away . Then there was the clutch slave, then the fuel tank gasket, then the brake lines... even the rubber screen gromits were compressed and stayed compressed and cracked. All the metal parts are great though:)

Master
    “Your car” lets say is a luxury sport vehicle capable of high speed and super handling would no doubt need a service/TLC before you took it on a track/course if it hadn’t had a service for 10 years. Not sure if it would need new rings etc.... but the authorised engine centre would tell you if it did unless of course you just went to Halfords to save some money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I totally get that. It would be interesting to know if Rolex really pressure test these to their stated capabilities when serviced - do these models have to go back to Switzerland for a service?
    The sub doesn’t , nor the dweller , but the 116660 can’t be done outside of Rolex I don’t think. Well I suspect they can but you might not get the full 3800m tested .

“Your car” lets say is a luxury sport vehicle capable of high speed and super handling would no doubt need a service/TLC before you took it on a track/course if it hadn’t had a service for 10 years. Not sure if it would need new rings etc.... but the authorised engine centre would tell you if it did unless of course you just went to Halfords to save some money.

Thanks, I guess we all have our opinions on this subject and I also suspect the manufacturers have a vested interest in regular servicing of their watches, they are a business and as such each Rolex they service brings an income to the company, does a Rolex that possibly sits in the safe for several months out of each year need a service as a matter of course after 5 years, that is debatable is it not?

Blog Entries
    The sub doesn’t , nor the dweller , but the 116660 can’t be done outside of Rolex I don’t think. Well I suspect they can but you might not get the full 3800m tested .

here was my 16660 in bits being serviced - it wasn’t Rolex. There is no magic ingredients inside a Seadweller!!

pressure tested to 100m I seem to recall and gaskets replaced. Good enough for swimming and diving.

This is one watch I really wish I had not sold - but hey ho.

Analogises of watches to cars or bikes just don’t add up. If you car / bike fails - you die. If your watch fails - you look at your phone to tell the time.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th July 2020 at 14:03.

Thanks for that, not sure what your point is though?
    I suspect it’s about.... if your watch fails while washing dishes, in the shower or snorkelling ... you can’t tell time. If your vehicle has a catastrophic failure at a high speed the risk associated with this is much higher in terms of your personal safety.

I also don’t know many people who dive without a computer these days as it just makes everything so easy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Me too, but what if the warranty was 5 years and the service intervals 10 years? What then? Highest I've got on my GSA was 132mph and tbh I'm not in a hurry to go back there. Wasn't comfy, the front was very light, and I was worried the alu panniers or top box would fly off.
    Christ, i did about 100mph on my GsADv and it was hideous. I dread to think what 130 was like with panniers!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I suspect it’s about.... if your watch fails while washing dishes, in the shower or snorkelling ... you can’t tell time. If your vehicle has a catastrophic failure at a high speed the risk associated with this is much higher in terms of your personal safety.

I also don’t know many people who dive without a computer these days as it just makes everything so easy.
    This is true. Vehicle analogies are not the best comparison. It’ll be a short sharp shock if the watch isn’t waterproof anyway. Game over . Bye Bye 7-9k.

Master
    I got 1 of my Deepsea serviced to the grand old sum of £1500, come back looking to the bees knees though Think I’ve had 4 of them to date

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I got 1 of my Deepsea serviced to the grand old sum of £1500, come back looking to the bees knees though Think I’ve had 4 of them to date
    Blimey. Just a service or did they give you a new bracelet with that?