closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Green dial Daytona ref: 116508

Green dial Daytona ref: 116508

Following John Mayer’s 2nd Talking Watches video on Hodinkee I knew demand for the green dial Daytona had increased dramatically but couldn’t quite believe the extent?!?
    Many grey dealers now asking about £40k for them whilst list is £26k !

Any TZ members here got one?
    If so can they post some wrist shots
    and give their opinion ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/f...with-envy.html

Craftsman
    Celebrity endorsement and inflated price aside, it’s a lot of money for something so garish.

Banned
    That looks awful.

Master
    a classic Rolex "bling" watch - only fit for a Premium League footballer and the like

Watch collectors also have one listed for £45k this is described as discontinued not sure why.
    This was listed at over £50k in June/July.

https://www.watchcollectors.co.uk/pr...k-yellow-gold/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Goldsmiths Newcastle mentioned to me that he hadn’t had any for ten months now. I presume is rare or moving towards to get discontinued?

Master
    It’s rare and unlikely to appeal to the typical tzuk member, and unless you have top dollar purchasing history with Rolex AD where you have have purchased two tone datejusts for the extended family, it’s the grey market premium for most. Seems fair versus what the nautilus/aquanaut premiums. From respected fair priced U.K. dealer:

Blog Entries
    Got my name down for one, belated 40th let's say. Tried one on at Wempe a couple of years back (was in the window, of course) and words cannot describe. Unfortunately I was on the verge of a massive house project so the stars weren't quite aligned perfectly at that point. If you like the green of the Hulk dial, then this is a million times better, against the yellow gold it is utterly jaw dropping. And if you needed reminding you've just sold a kidney for one, the weight does just that.

Of course in this market I don't hold out much hope of ever getting one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Celebrity endorsement and inflated price aside, it’s a lot of money for something so garish.
    Not often I agree with you Ally but you’ve got it bang on here. Garish in the extreme

I’ve not seen one in the metal, but I actually think these solid gold Rolex sports watches are actually rather special... especially with the right dial, and the green on this is lovely.

Often bought by people who are, how shall we say, not that interested in watches, but, if that bothered me, I wouldn’t enjoy wearing any Rolex.

Very interesting that Mayer’s comments could cause such an increase, but he is properly interested in watches, so there are worse people to take a lead from. Interesting also that it hasn’t happened with the white gold, silver panda dial 116509 - that’s the closest thing to a plexiglass Daytona they’ve made.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 22nd September 2019 at 12:48.

Master
    I watched that Hodinkee review of Mayer's watches and got the impression that it had only been produced for a relatively short period.
    If it's still in production, I don't understand the sudden demand and hype?

I do think the John Mayer video is excellent, few ‘experts’ are as insightful and articulate as him- which perhaps explains why he’s a song writer. In particular it’s interesting that many folk consider yellow gold Daytona’s like this as bling and garish- but as Mayer explains - to himself the joy of owning and collecting such watches overcomes any reservations about what they look like - even including the diamond encrusted Daytonas he owns.
    Really you shouldn’t care less about what others think- although obviously this is easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I watched that Hodinkee review of Mayer's watches and got the impression that it had only been produced for a relatively short period.
    Because Rolex are supplying about 1 a year to each Authorised Dealer?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mayer implied it was a sleeper piece - about to become sought after and increase in market value.
    So every mug tried to buy the sleeper which increased its market value.

I was watching that episode of talking watches on the tube on the way over to Stratford Westfield and remembered thinking it was going to send the prices crazy on the green dial YG Daytona and blue dial WG Daytona. Had a browse round the AD's as I arrived and the Rolex AD there had both on display in the window. Crazy how much it has changed in just a few months.

I guess it’s just speculation, and the constant search for the next hidden gem in the market?

Some of the wrist shot pics found online would indicate it’s one of those watches that does look better in the flesh than in the catalogue- I’m hoping to try one on later this week if I can get to London

Master
    prices on this (and other watches) have started to fall

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Any TZ members here got one?
    If so can they post some wrist shots
    and give their opinion ?
    OP, I have this reference. Purchased from an AD so no premium, but then again, no discount either.

I am not a blingy person, have no jewellery but I fancied a full YG watch. Tried on a few DDs and was heading in that direction until I got to handle a 116508G and immediately made my mind up that this was the one. It wears just like any full metal 1165xx subject to allowance for weight. It's not going to appeal to everyone but so what?

Most of the time the dial is very dark green but get in under direct light and the dial lights up, so to speak. Pleased to have it in my collection and it's getting a lot of use.

Thanks for the post Monkey Queen -
    It looks the absolute business-

Craftsman
    Thanks for the post Monkey Queen -
    It looks the absolute business-
    Are you looking for one to replace the platinum Daytona ?

saw a girl wearing one of these in Austria recently, on the green alligator strap with gold deployant, looked very special on her.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    prices on this (and other watches) have started to fall
    Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    OP, I have this reference. Purchased from an AD so no premium, but then again, no discount either.

I am not a blingy person, have no jewellery but I fancied a full YG watch. Tried on a few DDs and was heading in that direction until I got to handle a 116508G and immediately made my mind up that this was the one. It wears just like any full metal 1165xx subject to allowance for weight. It's not going to appeal to everyone but so what?

Most of the time the dial is very dark green but get in under direct light and the dial lights up, so to speak. Pleased to have it in my collection and it's getting a lot of use.

I really didn't like this one when I first saw it (same feeling the multiple times afterwards I've seen them pop up) but your photos have brought out the red, and that somehow really sets the whole dial off. A lovely thing in the right light and with good photos!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    saw a girl wearing one of these in Austria recently, on the green alligator strap with gold deployant, looked very special on her.
    I saw a lady wearing one in Singapore a few weeks back too, looked great on.

These gold watches photograph well and good on other people's wrists.

The only gold watch I tried was the TT Sub 16613. The novelty of gold wore off very soon and I just felt uncomfortable with it in my early 30's.

I can't even imagine how uncomfortable I'd be with that green Daytona. Nice watch though... for someone. I wouldn't wear it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    These gold watches photograph well and good on other people's wrists.

The only gold watch I tried was the TT Sub 16613. The novelty of gold wore off very soon and I just felt uncomfortable with it in my early 30's.

I can't even imagine how uncomfortable I'd be with that green Daytona. Nice watch though... for someone. I wouldn't wear it for free.

I’d definitely wear it for free if anyone has one they’d like to give me........!

I understand people’s reservations regarding yellow gold being ostentatious etc
    however for me a watch like this is simply a work of art........

A long time ago in the Valley of Kings Egypt when they were making Tutankhamun’s
    mask I wonder if anyone in the workshop
    said ‘ actually, maybe we should just go with steel?’

I’d definitely wear it for free if anyone has one they’d like to give me........!

I understand people’s reservations regarding yellow gold being ostentatious etc
    however for me a watch like this is simply a work of art........

A long time ago in the Valley of Kings Egypt when they were making Tutankhamun’s
    mask I wonder if anyone in the workshop
    said ‘ actually, maybe we should just go with steel?’
    I'm a fan of gold watches too. And I really like watching videos and pictures of them. Full yellow gold DD 41mm is amazing. It's not that I don't like gold, it's just that I feel it doesn't suit me at all. I tried.

I have standard steel version of this and I wouldn't mind owning one.

I also had a steel version of this. It looks great in gold too.

Pulled the trigger: Photos really don’t do it justice, it’s simply a beautiful watch which feels pure quality on the wrist.....I’ve hardly taken it off- a thoroughly recommended model......here’s a couple of quick Iphone pics:

Last edited by farmkid; 11th October 2019 at 22:59.

Master
    This Daytona is absolutely stunning.

I had the fortune of trying one of these on a few of months ago when a reality TV personality popped round, also got to have a blast in their Bentley. I was very impressed with it. In real life the dial looked dark green, almost black. I am still not a YG person but such a beauty.

Congratulations.

Craftsman
    A real stunner, always preferred the white dial YG combination but this could be number 1 now

Master
    Blog Entries
    White gold blue dial for me.
    M

Craftsman
    Congrats OP. I think it was clear from early in this thread that you were going to get this super watch.

A beautiful piece! Been looking for something in RG but would love to try one of these..