closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laptop help required..............

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Laptop help required..............

Mrs b4w wants a new laptop and has simple needs as its for home use, internet, email, simple spreadsheets and a little word.

Now having chosen this

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-81hn00n2uk/version.asp

we come to the problem that it does not come with any software ie office applications. Simple I thought, just buy a package.

What a nightmare, all I want is office with word, outlook, excel. I don’t want a subscription service and don’t want to spend a fortune on a package full of stuff she doesn’t need.

I remember the days when you bought a computer and it came with all the office applications installed.

Current laptop is ancient running windows 7 so probably not compatible with windows 10.

Last daft question, if I buy a new laptop without an office package, can it still connect to the internet?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Journeyman
    You can get a free alternative to Microsoft Office called libre office I've included the link below.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

This includes a word processor much like Word, spreadsheet program and presentation program. Each program also supports Microsoft Office file types.

And you don't need office to connect to the Internet.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    You say it's a pain, but just get an office 365 subscription. It includes One Drive which makes life very easy if your computer is lost / stolen as everything is still accessible.

Master
    OpenOffice.org was free. No idea if it is now. :-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That might work for us, but what about outlook for email?

Quote Originally Posted by paul.woolrich View Post
    You can get a free alternative to Microsoft Office called libre office I've included the link below.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

This includes a word processor much like Word, spreadsheet program and presentation program. Each program also supports Microsoft Office file types.

And you don't need office to connect to the Internet.

Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Use Thunderbird from the Open Office (Libre) people.

I use it even though I have all the microsoft guff on some of my machines. The Libre Office is as good as Microsoft office unless you are absolute top notch expert beyond expert.

Day to day you can't beat it.

B

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That might work for us, but what about outlook for email?
    As Brian says you can use Thunderbird which is part of libre office

Master
    The LibreOffice stuff is excellent but it can mis-format original Microsoft documents, sometimes. It's not 100% compatible. For the application as described by the OP though it should be fine (depends what "a little Word" is).

For simple, or even not-so-simple spreadsheets I'd use Google Sheets personally.

I buy off these guys.... instant software download and 100% genuine: https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-...rosoft-office/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I buy off these guys.... instant software download and 100% genuine: https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-...rosoft-office/
    Thanks for that link. I needed a version of standalone Office for a client, that's just the job.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    “A little word” means the odd the odd letter, that’s it really.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The LibreOffice stuff is excellent but it can mis-format original Microsoft documents, sometimes. It's not 100% compatible. For the application as described by the OP though it should be fine (depends what "a little Word" is).

For simple, or even not-so-simple spreadsheets I'd use Google Sheets personally.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post

Funnily enough I am looking for a freestanding version for my son - have you had to do the telephone activation at all or has it all been straightforward for you ?

Regs

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Funnily enough I am looking for a freestanding version for my son - have you had to do the telephone activation at all or has it all been straightforward for you ?

Regs

B
    I've bought 2 x windows 10 pro licences off them. Instant download and license key with no delay. Worked flawlessly.

Haven't bought any office products from them but I would expect it'll go smoothly.