closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cancellation Fees Question

Cancellation Fees Question

A bit of an odd one this.

I was due to go to an event for work this Sunday until Tuesday.

Organisers arranged accommodation and food so just needed to pay for travel. This event was not organised by my work but might have been useful to my work and for networking.

Unfortunately due to my work I am no longer able to attend. I told them this at the start of the week and they said not a problem can someone else attend. I said I would look into that but no one else can. In fact I might have expressed this to them a little earlier and said I might be only able to come for one day and a colleague may come for the other.

They asked me again today and I said unfortunately no one else can attend. I was then informed that their finance department would send me an invoice as I was liable for the accommodation fees and also the pre booked meals and drinks etc.

At no time during the dealings with this organisation have they mentioned how much the accommodation / food / drink etc is.

During our correspondence i was asked to provide my details and any dietary requirements as well as preferences for meals etc. But there were no prices and I haven't given any payment details or anything like that.

So to say I am a little concerned is an understatement as I am now waiting to see what they are going to send me.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ben

Did you sign a contract or agreement? Did you tick a box to say you agreed to the terms and conditions? What are the T&Cs?

If the answers to the above are no then I think you’ll be fine as they can’t impose charges that you haven’t agreed to.

Hello

They wanted an e signature / docusign thing at the bottom of the form.

So that suggests I might not be.

- - - Updated - - -

That was the form that indicated what days you might attend, dietary requirements etc.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    They wanted an e signature / docusign thing at the bottom of the form.

So that suggests I might not be.

That was the form that indicated what days you might attend, dietary requirements etc.
    Sometimes the 'small print' suggests by responding electronically you are entering into a contract - I would check this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hello

Bugger.

Hello

It appears I've been a massive fool!

Master
    Who would have paid your accommodation and food expenses if you had attended this event? If the answer is your current employer, and the reason you can no longer attend is work-related, they should still pick up the bill.

However, if this was a ‘private arrangement’, you will be liable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

Work would have picked up the bill if I'd been able to attend.

So you can't attend a work event that your employers wanted you to attend, because you are too busy with work with the same employers? Do they have any ideas how you get round this?

Master

Cancellation Fees Question

Work would have picked up the bill if I'd been able to attend.
    I think you need to have a chat with your line manager. In my view, you should not be personally liable....

The event was not organised by the OP's work though ultimately it might have benefited the employer, did the employer sanction time off to attend the event?
    Last edited by number2; 20th September 2019 at 08:33.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Hello

My LM said we'd see how it goes with me and another guy attending and maybe we'd split attendance.

But i'd not noticed and there had been no mention of being liable for non attendance / cancellation fees.

My LM said we'd see how it goes with me and another guy attending and maybe we'd split attendance.
    I think your line manager has covered his/her arse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The event was not organised by the OP's work though ultimately it might have benefited the employer, did the employer sanction time off to attend the event?
    I presume the employer sanctioned the event, as it was going to pay the fees etc. Assuming the OP was not attending whilst he was on holiday, he would remain ‘on duty’....thus attendance was at the employer’s will.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

As an employer myself, if one of my team found him/herself in this position I might grumble a bit but I’d cover the cost, no question.

Hello

If I'd known it was going to be a load of hassle would never have signed up.

My fault for not checking it properly absolutely. My concern is that they will come back with some silly figure!

Should anyone be free to attend an event in Bath from Sunday to Monday evening and or Tuesday then they are more than welcome to take my place.

Hello

Probably best not to in light of the issues I'm having with it I suppose.

Update

I've managed to enlist an external contact from my organisation to go to this event albeit only one day and not overnight as it will assist him / his company with some networking.

Hopefully this will placate the organisers a little.

Always good to make life difficult for oneself!

Hello

It seems the replacement isn't suitable.

Oh well, will see what happens.

It might assist if you said what event it is?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hello

Elite,CISO Summit in Bath.

Craftsman
    I might be being harsh but these conferences are usually just Advertorials for sponsors - sponsor and you get to speak. They make money pretty much only through sponsorship (Profit = Sponsorships minus costs of organising). Cancellations and even no-shows is factored into the plans/ budget. Sponsorships are attracted on the strength of attendees - who come based on the reputation of the conference. If the organisers behaved in this way, people would not sign up / attend.

I would be very surprised if they actually pursued you for the cost.