closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things you never knew your car could do...

Master
    Our motorhome has a removable organic device very useful for endless motorway traffic jams. If you shout loudly and prod it hard it goes into the rear of the van and makes a cup of tea and a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The interior of the Jazz is a thing of wonder, and such an intelligent use of space - the previous Mrs P has had three of them, and I never ceased to be amazed how much junk she could cart around in what is, after all, a small car.

On the subject of ex-wives - have I missed an episode, or did you not sack the previous Mrs V?
    Yes she was legally sacked some time ago. I usually refer to the current incumbent as Mrs V though the contracted arrangement isn't due to commence until mid October (Viva Las Vegas)

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I had a warning light come on in our Toyota Yaris and had no idea what it was for.

I checked the manual and discovered it was a tyre pressure warning light. I checked all the tyre pressures and was surprised to find one was quite under inflated.

Having pumped the tyre up the warning light was still glowing at me and there was nothing in the manual to show me what to do. It suddenly dawned on me that I was likely to get ripped off by the Toyota dealer who would no doubt tell me that a computer reset was due.

I got on to YouTube and found this together with a reset button down in the footwell that I didn't know existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=c8zwewTpyss

Result.

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    My sister's Audi has automatic headlight dipping, which dips the lights when the sensor detects the lights of another car approaching.

It also dips the lights when they reflect light from road signs. So, approaching a sharp bend on an unlit country lane at night, the headlights dip when they detect light reflected from warning chevron signs which warn of a tight, potentially dangerous bend.
    My M4 has these lights, seemed really impressive on wider open rolling roads with its matrix LED lights illuminating so much more of the road than I was used to.

The auto dip was an initial shock with a car coming the other way as dipped earlier than necessary & plunged to relative and unexpected darkness pre corner.

Nothing prepared me for when I was pushing on a little in the dark, no lights coming the other way, to be plunged into said darkness from the chevron markers...that was fun, honest! If I am pushing on, I now turn the system off as can see it is only going to cause issue!

As for auto parking, had it on the last 3 cars & love pristine alloys too much to even turn it on and try it out.

Used park assist on a Touran we had when we lived in London. Worked perfectly - if you like to park your car a foot from the kerb! That wasn’t an option where we lived at the time - you had to park snug to the kerb or you’d lose a wing mirror. Never used it again - which I suspect is what 99% of people do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Volvo automatically restarts if I accidentally stall it. I presume only works if clutch is depressed.

I recently found out that my Q5 has Launch Control. The only thing is there's about two pages of instruction to select it. I think I'll pass.

Just found that my cruise control is the 'radar' type, which brakes/accelerates to suit the car in front.

What a revelation for driving through the A14/M6 roadworks!!
    It is a bit weird at first, but after a short while I now LOVE it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Used park assist on a Touran we had when we lived in London. Worked perfectly - if you like to park your car a foot from the kerb! That wasn’t an option where we lived at the time - you had to park snug to the kerb or you’d lose a wing mirror. Never used it again - which I suspect is what 99% of people do!

I think the issue with all of the driving aids is that they are probably coded by a spotty teenager locked in a dark room somewhere who’s only experience of cars is when Uber Eats delivers the pizza.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Just found that my cruise control is the 'radar' type, which brakes/accelerates to suit the car in front.

What a revelation for driving through the A14/M6 roadworks!!
    It is a bit weird at first, but after a short while I now LOVE it!
    I have the same system and it's brilliant, making journeys much easier. The only thing is, I find myself touching the brake before the system brakes, then I have to reset everything.

Press and hold the drivers side 'Auto' button for about 3-4 seconds on an Audi with dual climate control and it matches the passenger and drivers side temps to the same temp and allows both to be controlled from the drivers side button.

Very handy when your wife doesn't understand that there is generally a comfortable zone which can be found between 'full blast hot' and 'full blast cold', and constantly switches between the two.
    I have now discovered that my VW Golf does that as well, thanks!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    The Audi chap who delivered my last A4 didn't know that either - despite the fact that HE was 'demonstrating' to ME how to use the car....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Just found that out on my CC too, there is a sync button that does the same as well though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just found that out on my CC too, there is a sync button that does the same as well though.
    My VW is an '05, so doesn't have the sync button. I was looking at my wife's '12 plate Mondeo, which does have a sync button, jealously until I saw this.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    The Audi chap who delivered my last A4 didn't know that either - despite the fact that HE was 'demonstrating' to ME how to use the car....
    That’s familiar - when the wife and I went to test drive her current Golf I ended up teaching the spotty irk some stuff about the features.

Him - “So this engine has the cylinder deactivation technology so it will run on 2 cylinders instead of 4 to save fuel”
    Me - “Yeah, and it changes between which two it deactivates in order to distribute wear”
    Him - “Oh really? Yeah that makes sense...”

Blog Entries
    CR-V: hazard lights come on automatically when breaking f.....g hard. Panic-stop type of breaking. I'd never noticed that before. I had that yesterday when an Audi (what else...) tried to overtake a Citroen thróugh the rear lenses going forward instead of going around the outside on the other lane. I felt like Hamilton watching parts and pieces coming towards me!

The CR-V's brakes are up to it, my heart not so. 200+ bpm I guess.

I think the hazard lights when breaking have been a standard on every car for ten years. Certainly my 2006 Audi did it already, and every car I had since. Might be a EU thing.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    A mate of mine ( many years ago ) discovered that the steering wheel centre in his Clio 16v could be prised off and the space behind it could accommodate a 8th of weed quite comfortably.
    Lol! My Mk2 Astra could take a quarter, easily!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My GTD switches on different/additional lights when it goes round a corner.
    I suspect it also takes over breaking when it thinks im going to hit the car in front. I noticed that it threw up a squawk and a red grid when i came to a quick stop on the north circular the other day and i *think* there was some additional movement to the break pedal which i wasnt doing.

I am also led to believe that it can parallel park itself but ive never tried this feature because im quite adept at it and dont quite trust the whole taking your hands off the wheel thing.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I suspect it also takes over breaking when it thinks im going to hit the car in front. I noticed that it threw up a squawk and a red grid when i came to a quick stop on the north circular the other day and i *think* there was some additional movement to the break pedal which i wasnt doing.

I am also led to believe that it can parallel park itself but ive never tried this feature because im quite adept at it and dont quite trust the whole taking your hands off the wheel thing.
    My A6 Allroad has cornering lights and it's something I've come to rely on and should be standard!

The self parking feature is good you should try it out. When I put my back out a few years ago it came in handy as it saves me twisting round to parallel park... but did take some getting used to (as in trusting the blighter to do it right).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saturn5 View Post

anyone with the a transit connect van did you know the part of the dash above the dials lifts to reveal a hidden storage compartment with an additional charging point
    Wow, I just thought that particular piece of dash was a shitty fit!

Things you never knew your car could do...

I never knew my Impreza could kill me so easily......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I never knew my Impreza could kill me so easily......
    I didn't know that Eddie had installed the ouija board plugin for vBulletin. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I didn't know that Eddie had installed the ouija board plugin for vBulletin. ;-)
    It’s the new iPhone update 13.1.2 - iOuija app!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Our BM330 has the park assist. Not used it much but one time I flapped and grabbed the wheel (wrongly thinking I was going to hit an obstruction) and immediately got a msg. on screen telling me to take my hands off the wheel! :)

My Honda Civic Type S has a refrigerated glove box! Didn't know that, must work off the A/C.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    My Honda Civic Type S has a refrigerated glove box! Didn't know that, must work off the A/C.
    My SAAB 9-5 had that.