closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Price Increase

Craftsman

Omega Price Increase

Was in the OB at Trafford Centre Manchester last night looking at the various iterations of the Seamaster 300.
    Was going to ponder a while but was advised that a 5% increase will happen on the 1st October.
    Chose the blue dial on the bracelet and negotiated a FOC blue rubber strap.
    Anyone considering a Omega might want to buy before the price hike.

Master
    I was told the same by an AD for Rolex. It's is usually just a load of wind.

Master
    Was told the same at an omega boutique in London mid week. 5% increase across all watches. Third increase this year apparently but other increases were line specific.

Craftsman
    Rolex will be next.

Master
    A £4K Moonwatch makes the £2800 I paid last August seem a very good deal.

Journeyman
    I heard even customers on waiting lists will pay the 5% even though they placed their request before October 1st

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.woolrich View Post
    I heard even customers on waiting lists will pay the 5% even though they placed their request before October 1st

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    That’s the norm.

I was priced out after the did away with the Seamaster 120m quarts long ago.

Price now for a decent size Omega is way beyond regular folk now....

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I was priced out after the did away with the Seamaster 120m quarts long ago.

Price now for a decent size Omega is way beyond regular folk now....
    I believe that's the point though. Omega, Rolex etc don't want 'regular folk' wearing their stuff

Had it confirmed as well from a trusted source. 5% it is.

Master
    That’ll be the second increase this year then. They put 5% on just as I was buying my Speedy in June.

Is this Omega moving "up market," the financial/political situation or a bit of both?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Is this Omega moving "up market," the financial/political situation or a bit of both?
    I think you'll find it's the devaluation of the pound...

So rather than blame Omega blame the people that have caused that.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

Agreed and quoted last night.

Yeah I have heard the same. Seems consistent and not a surprise really as watches in the UK have been cheaper than elsewhere for a while.

I mean there is a £600 difference on an Apollo 8 for example between an UK one versus EU.

Craftsman

Munich Airport Euro Prices.
    Eg White Speedmaster Racing 8200 Euros GBP equivalent approx £7,200.
    Current Omega UK price £6,700.

Picked up a Speedmaster last week and was told the same. Price rise coming soon.

What will that do to the secondary speedmaster market 🤨

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    What will that do to the secondary speedmaster market

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Bloodbath.

Craftsman
    Glad I bought my latest one when I did - as already mentioned, that will be the second increase this year.

And, as already mentioned, it's certainly not Omega's fault.....

Craftsman
    Have the days of ADs offering 20-25% discount on Omega’s long gone? Its been quite a while since i enquired about an omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Have the days of ADs offering 20-25% discount on Omega’s long gone? Its been quite a while since i enquired about an omega.

I got 13% discount at the Leeds Omega boutique - but 90 minutes earlier got a flat (and pretty shocked that I dare ask) No to ANY discount at the Manchester Omega boutique on the same watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I got 13% discount at the Leeds Omega boutique - but 90 minutes earlier got a flat (and pretty shocked that I dare ask) No to ANY discount at the Manchester Omega boutique on the same watch.
    Omega boutique will NEVER offer discounts.
    ADs OTOH do depending on the model.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    But they do - I got 13%...

Craftsman
    And I've just remembered - my fiancé persuaded the manager to throw a bottle of the Aqua Terra EDT into the deal!

Craftsman
    But they do - I got 13%...
    Excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I got 10% off without asking in the Omega boutique in Glasgow.
    They also threw in a nice bottle of Omega labelled Bollinger.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The moonwatch was £1600 in 2008 when I bought mine, now it's £3810, a 138% rise!

A sub date has gone from £3050 to £6950 which is 127% so maybe it's just the Swiss watch mafia.

Neither my salary or even my house have gone up like that in 11 years...

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    The moonwatch was £1600 in 2008 when I bought mine, now it's £3810, a 138% rise!

A sub date has gone from £3050 to £6950 which is 127% so maybe it's just the Swiss watch mafia.

Watches seem to have become the 2019 equivalent of the 1929 stock.
    There will be a huge correction one day. There is too much money in them and when interest rates go up or people get in dire need of cash, many will be bitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Watches seem to have become the 2019 equivalent of the 1929 stock.
    There will be a huge correction one day. There is too much money in them and when interest rates go up or people get in dire need of cash, many will be bitten.
    I’m not so sure. The people that buy luxury watches can afford them and interest rates going up is beneficial to someone not borrowing. Luxury watch prices kept going up in the crash of 2007.

I think the correction happens when the trend for mechanicals as a desirable purchase dies off. A few years ago, I thought smart watches might do this, but it seems that hasn’t happened yet because they are still an accessory to a mobile phone rather than an essential piece of tech that you have to wear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Rolex Watches seem to have become the 2019 equivalent of the 1929 stock.
    Fixed that for you ;-)

It really is bizarre given how common some of their models are.

Journeyman
    Sit back and graze on popcorn.

Real fun - if there is nothing more fundamental in the meantime like an (every) economy imploding under too much debt will be 3 to 4 years time when a lot of watches will need £600-£2000 for servicing.

Major shake-up for everyone. Manu's/AD not selling, people not servicing their watches, lot of x-hand gear on the market needing a service.....boomf!

Next few years will make the quartz crisis look like a picnic. Corrections abound

Master

CHF vs GBP has seen a similar rise over the same period...

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’m not so sure. The people that buy luxury watches can afford them and interest rates going up is beneficial to someone not borrowing. Luxury watch prices kept going up in the crash of 2007.

I think the correction happens when the trend for mechanicals as a desirable purchase dies off. A few years ago, I thought smart watches might do this, but it seems that hasn’t happened yet because they are still an accessory to a mobile phone rather than an essential piece of tech that you have to wear.
    I know more people (in real life, not including TZ) with Rolex and Omega watches on finance (via store or 0% credit card) than I do who own outright.

The most recent purchase someone I know made was a ceramic Seamaster about 3 months ago and the quote is roughly "they couldn't discount anything off the watch but they could do 0% so I did that instead. By the time I pay it off it'll be worth more anyway".

Some rude awakenings due imo.

Thinking people with posh watches are liquid is like thinking people in half decent BMWs and Mercs are liquid. Most times it's all on the never never.

Blog Entries
    Mark my words, one fine day the arrogance of greedy AD’s will come back to royally bite them in the arse when they look around for their regular customer base and realise it has gone!

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

So when the pound was strong and the Euro weak did they do the same in reverse?

Grand Master
    Great,the used ones can go up a little too.

Craftsman
    Used to get 15%-20% at Manchester OB - x 2 Planet Oceans and Aqua Terra...

Now as in 2 weeks ago negotiated a FOC leather strap and deployment on a Speedmaster Racing and yesterday a pin buckle and rubber strap on a Seamaster 300.
    This represents approx 7% , so at least some concession.

Master

I bought my first Moonwatch from a ‘grey import’ seller in 2004 for £860, admittedly after a bit of strong haggling. It had been supplied by an Italian AD and was complete with stickers and the card stamped and dated a couple of weeks prior to my purchase. At that time he had at least 2 Moonwatches and a couple of Submariners with hefty savings.

I've just bought Speedmaster Moon Watch Sapphire Sandwich and got 9% discount plus free Seamaster adjustable clasp and 1 end link.
    I feel that I could have got up to 13% off without the clasp and end link.

Best

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This one is factual. Another Omega increase on 1st October.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I got 10% off without asking in the Omega boutique in Glasgow.
    They also threw in a nice bottle of Omega labelled Bollinger.
    Spot on. The Omega boutiques can give discounts depending on location and the watch.

They rarely discount a desirable limited edition model like the Speedy Snoopy, Speedy Tuesday and the latest 60th Anniversary models as examples.
    Last edited by j111dja; 24th September 2019 at 20:47.

Craftsman
    The 5% price increase does now appear to have kicked in

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Spot on. The Omega boutiques can give discounts depending on location and the watch.

They rarely discount a desirable limited edition model like the Speedy Snoopy, Speedy Tuesday and the latest 60th Anniversary models as examples.
    You would never have found the Speedy Tuesday models for sale in an Omega boutique and the ship sailed on the Snoopy some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    You would never have found the Speedy Tuesday models for sale in an Omega boutique and the ship sailed on the Snoopy some years ago.
    I know that. My comments were based on the non discounted retail price the buyer paid.
    Last edited by j111dja; 2nd October 2019 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I know that. My comments were based on the non discounted retail price the buyer paid.
    👍

Craftsman

Increase.

The 5% price increase does now appear to have kicked in

Some retailers put the increase on immediately at 00.01 hrs on the 1st Oct but a few have still not brought it in and maybe hoping to pick up some extra business by holding off the increase unlike their competitors.

Tough market for Watch AD’s at the moment and I suppose any edge they can give themselves in getting deals done is of benefit.

Trouble is, having bought and owned a few Rolex 1406OM’s brand new for £1500, and moonwatches for £1600, in my mind that’s what they are actually ‘worth’ and I can’t help but laugh at the crazy amounts they now command covered in a scratches and ‘wabi sabi’. They were nice, but clearly not that nice as I got bored and sold them for close to their new cost after a couple of years wear - and now they are somehow ‘grail’ watches. Not long ago they were watches, not appreciating assets - and a full Rolex service was £245. Can’t be bothered with either brand now they’ve gone bananas, I had their best watches at cheap prices brand new and scratched the itch, thank goodness! And trust me - I don’t miss them at all

In 2008 1,600 UKP was 3,200 CHF

3,200 CHF today is 2,609 UKP

3050 UKP was 6100 CHF which today would be 4975 UKP.

So the "mafia markup" is about 3% a year for Rolex and 5% for Omega pa in CHF terms.

Craftsman

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Trouble is, having bought and owned a few Rolex 1406OM’s brand new for £1500, and moonwatches for £1600, in my mind that’s what they are actually ‘worth’ and I can’t help but laugh at the crazy amounts they now command covered in a scratches and ‘wabi sabi’. They were nice, but clearly not that nice as I got bored and sold them for close to their new cost after a couple of years wear - and now they are somehow ‘grail’ watches. Not long ago they were watches, not appreciating assets - and a full Rolex service was £245. Can’t be bothered with either brand now they’ve gone bananas, I had their best watches at cheap prices brand new and scratched the itch, thank goodness! And trust me - I don’t miss them at all

Would agree with Rob here.

Was lucky enough to be in the position many years ago and since too pick up the Speedy, 14060, 16520, Lv etc etc but was very happy to part with them for nice profits after scratching the itch.

When you have bought at pre bubble hype prices it is difficult to comprehend the asking prices within the Secondary market and even the manufacturers RRP now and what is clearly over inflated but buyers are further fuelling the bubble in paying the ridiculous sums.

I probably knew when I was cashing out that with the trajectory of the market I would not be able to buy those same pieces at the same prices I bought them at but to be honest I was more than happy to bank the profit and will only buy now if the value dictates rather than the market dictating.
    Last edited by Flasher; 2nd October 2019 at 23:17. Reason: Error