closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega Price Increase

Craftsman
    The seamaster I bought in September from Goldsmiths is now listed on their website just over 5% higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    And trust me - I don’t miss them at all

So you keep on telling us
    Again and again and yet again:-)

Craftsman
    Trouble is, having bought and owned a few Rolex 1406OM’s brand new for £1500, and moonwatches for £1600, in my mind that’s what they are actually ‘worth’ and I can’t help but laugh at the crazy amounts they now command covered in a scratches and ‘wabi sabi’. They were nice, but clearly not that nice as I got bored and sold them for close to their new cost after a couple of years wear - and now they are somehow ‘grail’ watches. Not long ago they were watches, not appreciating assets - and a full Rolex service was £245. Can’t be bothered with either brand now they’ve gone bananas, I had their best watches at cheap prices brand new and scratched the itch, thank goodness! And trust me - I don’t miss them at all

I can see what you're saying but I remember when you could buy a new BMW 325i for less than £25k...

Used prices/values though - that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I can see what you're saying but I remember when you could buy a new BMW 325i for less than £25k...

Used prices/values though - that's another story.
    Or a house for 30k!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Or a house for 30k!
    Exactly!

Master
    Exactly!
    But not in the way you guys might think, and it's not a great reflection on the watch world. It is more than the old 'veblen' goods thing.

The reason houses are more expensive is not just inflation, it is consumer debt driven, and in order to keep driving the consumer debt, the prices had to go up. It is, as we know, a proper bubble and it will burst again.

I am not sure it applies to anyone or a majority on this forum, but I think the big Swiss brands (Tag, Omega, B'Ling...not so much Rolex and above) have two problems.

1. If they are not careful something like the ceramic Apple watch will become todays 18th / graduation present (which used to be the quartz Seamaster), and that will increasingly squeeze the big Swiss names all into the same space of diminishing returns.
    2. The number of watches being bought via credit will eventually slow down. The only option then is exclusivity (I don't agree, but the scarcity of Rolex steel models is a better strategy than just ramping up prices every 8 months).

Omega is doing ok, I think a lot of their watches are now way over-priced, but bubbles do burst and the Swiss screwed all this up before, they can do it again

p.s. You can get the pre 6% price from Ernest Jones until the end of today, or at least you can in the Manchester city centre 'boutique'. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    1. If they are not careful something like the ceramic Apple watch will become todays 18th / graduation present (which used to be the quartz Seamaster), and that will increasingly squeeze the big Swiss names all into the same space of diminishing returns.
    The Apple Watch has been the number one for watch sales across the world since late 2017.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    But not in the way you guys might think, and it's not a great reflection on the watch world. It is more than the old 'veblen' goods thing.

The reason houses are more expensive is not just inflation, it is consumer debt driven, and in order to keep driving the consumer debt, the prices had to go up. It is, as we know, a proper bubble and it will burst again.

I am not sure it applies to anyone or a majority on this forum, but I think the big Swiss brands (Tag, Omega, B'Ling...not so much Rolex and above) have two problems.

2. The number of watches being bought via credit will eventually slow down. The only option then is exclusivity (I don't agree, but the scarcity of Rolex steel models is a better strategy than just ramping up prices every 8 months).

Omega is doing ok, I think a lot of their watches are now way over-priced, but bubbles do burst and the Swiss screwed all this up before, they can do it again

p.s. You can get the pre 6% price from Ernest Jones until the end of today, or at least you can in the Manchester city centre 'boutique'. ;)
    But I think you might be forgetting the the 'ramping up' of prices is as much to do with the weak pound as anything else. Which is self inflicted.
    Last edited by MarkJS; 3rd October 2019 at 09:02.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    So you keep on telling us
    Again and again and yet again:-)
    You and this kind of comment is why I find this forum a far less pleasant place than it used to be. Please don’t forever chip in, I have zero interest in your opinion - if you have nothing constructive to say just put a sock in it.

Master
    But I think you might be forgetting the the 'ramping up' of prices is as much to do with the weak pound as anything else. Which is self inflicted.
    It's not just the weak pound, it's a tiny bit of that, but most of it is the cartel that is Swiss watches. Inflation on goods is not consistent of course. Haha if we were not leaving the EU someone should wonder about the consistency of these price increases. But that's anotehr thread ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The Apple Watch has been the number one for watch sales across the world since late 2017.
    Yep, my point was the return of the ceramic one now, at just over £1k. What special watch do kids want, or their parents can afford? And what does that do for future interest in watches? I'm just wittering out loud of course :D

Ripoff Britain.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    It's not just the weak pound
    I didn't say it was - but it is the reason why there have been two increases in 5 months.

Master
    Just walked past the window of Lunn’s in Belfast today. Standard Moonwatch on a bracelet £4000 and a Seamaster £4170. My two 2004 purchases of a new Moonwatch (£860 from a grey reseller) and an unused 2254.50 from SC for £620 don’t look bad now. I still have the 2254.50 and while I sold the Moonwatch a few years ago I quickly regretted and replaced it with a 2014 model for an extra £75 via a WTB post on the forum.

I think the whole market will go pop, and sooner than we think. None of my sons friends and those he’s at university with seem to be interested in wearing a decent watch, and the whole ‘badge of success’ watch purchase seems a bit tired now - I’m not sure today’s 20 year old is interested in them at all, and would rather be seen wearing no watch, an Apple Watch or a ‘retro Casio’ than what they perceive as an outdated status symbol. I really wonder how you’ll get a mechanical watch serviced at a reasonable cost in 20 years time too

I think the whole market will go pop, and sooner than we think. None of my sons friends and those he’s at university with seem to be interested in wearing a decent watch, and the whole ‘badge of success’ watch purchase seems a bit tired now - I’m not sure today’s 20 year old is interested in them at all, and would rather be seen wearing no watch, an Apple Watch or a ‘retro Casio’ than what they perceive as an outdated status symbol. I really wonder how you’ll get a mechanical watch serviced at a reasonable cost in 20 years time too

I’m not convinced on this theory. I’m sure i’ve commented before here that a large number of the 20-30 year olds I work with are seriously interested in acquiring a “decent” watch, and will often talk to me about this. Yes it’s often a Rolex centric conversation but then that’s where I started in my journey and now I like loads of other brands. I would also add this desire starts early. In the primary school playground they talk about wanting a Rolex, and they know the different models, and in secondary school some kids instantly spotted even a base perpetual model and all wanted to see it and touch it. The brand is strong and so is the Followership.

Do you perhaps work in the financial sector? I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if all the young bucks in the City still aspire to a Rolex - and probably a Porsche 911 and red braces! - but not sure most people are as interested outside of those circles.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Just walked past the window of Lunn’s in Belfast today. Standard Moonwatch on a bracelet £4000 and a Seamaster £4170. My two 2004 purchases of a new Moonwatch (£860 from a grey reseller) and an unused 2254.50 from SC for £620 don’t look bad now. I still have the 2254.50 and while I sold the Moonwatch a few years ago I quickly regretted and replaced it with a 2014 model for an extra £75 via a WTB post on the forum.
    Sub 1k speedmaster, I didn't think it possible!

Do you perhaps work in the financial sector? I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if all the young bucks in the City still aspire to a Rolex - and probably a Porsche 911 and red braces! - but not sure most people are as interested outside of those circles.

I’m sure my experiences are not country or population wide, just my own limited personal experiences. The playground and school kid comments are there, and I live a long way from the city in many ways though. Btw, I’ve always wanted and still want a 911 (not sure i’ll ever shake off that want)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Sub 1k speedmaster, I didn't think it possible!
    It was a serious bit of haggling. The watch had been supplied by an Italian AD with card stamped a couple of weeks earlier, but was still all stickered up.
    The seller had at least two Moonwatches, a couple of Bond Seamasters and a number of Submariners.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’m sure my experiences are not country or population wide, just my own limited personal experiences. The playground and school kid comments are there, and I live a long way from the city in many ways though. Btw, I’ve always wanted and still want a 911 (not sure i’ll ever shake off that want)
    I did this. WANTED a 911 so much for years, so when I stopped commuting I sold my 3series and got a 10 year old one. It’s similar to the Rolex thing - I wanted it, then after having it a while realised 95% of time the 3series was the more useful/better car. Sold it and got a Passat I currently have a Seiko SKX and an Apple Watch, but want a Rolex... and I’m certain it will be the same outcome.

Do I regret the 911? Not really, but the best part about the entire ownership experience is the fact that I can say I used to have one. Sad really!

Today I’ve talked myself into a SM300, tomorrow, who knows!?
    #coolstorybro