closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a demonstrator, any advice?

Blog Entries

Buying a demonstrator, any advice?

Hi all, been offered a car by the dealer which has been a demonstrator with less than 100 miles on the clock. 6k below list. As it would be treated as a 'used car' purchase would it be a bad idea? Obviously when I come to sell it would be a 2 owner car not a 1 owner car.
    Anybody have any ideas on the pros and what cons there would be?

Thanks
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    One major drawback, if buying on finance, is the rates offered on used cars are usually much higher.
    If you are not financing it then no problem.
    Have you checked what discounts are available on any similar stock unregistered cars?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hi all, been offered a car by the dealer which has been a demonstrator with less than 100 miles on the clock. 6k below list. As it would be treated as a 'used car' purchase would it be a bad idea? Obviously when I come to sell it would be a 2 owner car not a 1 owner car.
    Anybody have any ideas on the pros and what cons there would be?

Thanks
    Dealers will register new cars to get their volume bonus, etc., - effectively you are buying a "pre-registered new car", usually at an up to 30% discount, depending on model and time of year

some "new cars" can have more than 100 miles on the clock when bought as new - especially if "driven" in from another dealer

You will get a dealer invoice showing the mileage at purchase and no problem with being a "dealer + you as owner car" - why are you worried, are you thinking about selling the car in the next few months

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Dealers will register new cars to get their volume bonus, etc., - effectively you are buying a "pre-registered new car", usually at an up to 30% discount, depending on model and time of year

some "new cars" can have more than 100 miles on the clock when bought as new - especially if "driven" in from another dealer

You will get a dealer invoice showing the mileage at purchase and no problem with being a "dealer + you as owner car" - why are you worried, are you thinking about selling the car in the next few months
    No but will probably in 2 years time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    No but will probably in 2 years time.
    should still be under warranty then

in a way it's not a bad thing that the dealer has put on a few miles - if there were any problems on delivery he should have noticed them and sorted them out

which make?

Master
    Have had a few over the years and all been excellent, recently bought a pre reg Focus with 15 mile on the clock and saved £7k or roughly 30%. If the car is what you are looking for then go for it.

Having run a few dealerships including being group buyer I'd have no probs with a car being the dealer +1, so long as you're happy with the money involved
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    You won’t get new for old in the first year from your motor insurance policy in the event of a total write off as it’s no longer new.

Buy a gap policy if this troubles you.

I would buy if deal was right - often the demonstrators are well spec’d.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    With only approx 100 miles on the clock it's hardly been demonstrated to the point of it being an issue,is it?.
    And with a 6k discount that has to be a great deal IMO.Imagine if that deal was on offer with a Rolex sub that had been on many grubby wrists trying it out!,you wouldn't need to ask if that were a great deal with several Ks off........

Lets really be honest here,realistically with only 100 miles on the clock it really is still a "new" car isn't it,yes it is,it is and anyone will agree.Agreed also that it's used,but we all know what used typically means in terms of a "used" car don't we,that being a car bought and used for a few years or several Ks of miles on the clock not 100 miles.

A car dealer Friend once said this to me.

Its easier to sell a one owner stratospheric mileage car driven sensibly than it is a minuscule mileage RS hatchback driven by a petrolhead.The reality is he'd never pass that information onto the prospective buyers anyway,an honest car dealer hey,yes but only because he's a mate!.

If it's the car you want and like then get it bought.......I would.

ps.And were I to buy a car under these circumstances,I'd see it wasn't actually a 2 owner car really,so it wouldn't deter me.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 21st September 2019 at 12:04.

What's 6k as a % of the car? Might be able to get the same deal on a stock car elsewhere.

As mentioned earlier in the thread if financing the APR on a used car is considerable higher than on a new car.

Usually ex demos/pre reg are bought in cash although you may take the finance and then cancel it after 2 weeks to get the extra deposit contribution or 2 free services etc.

Craftsman
    I’m surprised they’re selling with such low mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    I’m surprised they’re selling with such low mileage.
    Cars get bought by dealers from manufacturers and registered as different types for different levels of support (cash). If a dealer registers as car on their system as a service car or demo they get more money from the OEM than just doing it as pre reg. Lots of cars are registered as demo or service cars and then sold on as it stacks up better for the dealer.

If it is a sports/performance car, the only thing which would worth me is the way it was driven by the sales people, then again if you’re planning to move it on in a couple of years it should not be a problem.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Cars get bought by dealers from manufacturers and registered as different types for different levels of support (cash). If a dealer registers as car on their system as a service car or demo they get more money from the OEM than just doing it as pre reg. Lots of cars are registered as demo or service cars and then sold on as it stacks up better for the dealer.
    They had an event on last week so might have been put down as a demo for that by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You won’t get new for old in the first year from your motor insurance policy in the event of a total write off as it’s no longer new.

Interesting point, hadn't thought of that one. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    should still be under warranty then

in a way it's not a bad thing that the dealer has put on a few miles - if there were any problems on delivery he should have noticed them and sorted them out

which make?
    It's a Mercedes.

As it would be treated as a used car sale, would you perhaps get different service or warranty status having bought a 'used' car than a 'new' car?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Definitely worth checking the discounts on new cars - I was under the impression that £6-7K discount was a given, at least for E class?
    Last edited by Suds; 21st September 2019 at 12:29.

Master
    What are the best deals on Carwow for this model?
    Once you know what the best price for a new car is, then you will know whether this is a good deal.

There are no issues in buying a demo car and selling a couple of years later as the second owner

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Once you know what the best price for a new car is, then you will know whether this is a good deal.

There are no issues in buying a demo car and selling a couple of years later as the second owner
    Can't argue with this!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master

My thoughts exactly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Not always, check with your insurance company, or if concerned go with GAP, but not from the dealer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Definitely worth checking the discounts on new cars - I was under the impression that £6-7K discount was a given, at least for E class?

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Can't argue with this!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Sounds like a plan, will give it a go. Cheers for the suggestions.

Master
    Is it the last of the 19 plate before 69? Dealers get substantial volume discounts from the primary brand and often cars are just pre reg to trigger the volume discount . Not cars but KTM did this on a bike the 1290 two years ago £16k down to £10.5k with 3 or 4 miles. As a % of the full retail thats a big chunk of cash.

I have had two demo / ex manufacturer cars. Both my current bike and car are ex manufacturers run upto 5/8k miles. When I part exed my last Honda in Jan of this year I said it was two owner Honda plus me, dealer did not bat an eyelid.

Often the Dont even view the car, they are keen on FSH and like OEM FSH.

For 6k I would be be happy to accept 100 miles as in reality that’s probably one of the sales team using it to go home and back possibly twice.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Is it the last of the 19 plate before 69? Dealers get substantial volume discounts from the primary brand and often cars are just pre reg to trigger the volume discount . Not cars but KTM did this on a bike the 1290 two years ago £16k down to £10.5k with 3 or 4 miles. As a % of the full retail thats a big chunk of cash.

I have had two demo / ex manufacturer cars. Both my current bike and car are ex manufacturers run upto 5/8k miles. When I part exed my last Honda in Jan of this year I said it was two owner Honda plus me, dealer did not bat an eyelid.

Often the Dont even view the car, they are keen on FSH and like OEM FSH.

For 6k I would be be happy to accept 100 miles as in reality that’s probably one of the sales team using it to go home and back possibly twice.

Steve
    It's the new shape AMG300D GLC.

Master
    I have bought quite a few demonstrator vehicles with some excellent discounts.

They all work and any issues have been sorted before you get them

They are cheaper

Providing that they have been serviced as recommended then you are good to go.

I have found very little difference in the trade in prices against the new vehicles on the eventual sale.

gap insurance, that is another consumer rip off, in my view - but then I always have a cash reserve for vehicles.

If you are unhappy with the offer from an insurance company after a write off then visit the ombudsman.
    Take photographs of the car on the forecourt with the price stickers on before you get your discounts. Always do this.

I have, successfully, done this once for one of my vehicles (which I didn't write off) and two for aquaintances who were having trouble with the sharks.

If i was buying a new Merc/Lexus/BMW or Bentley a demonstrator would be the way I would go.

B

Master
    The key question for me is how close the spec is to what you would have otherwise ordered. Are you paying for things that you don’t necessarily want/need, are there any things missing that you really want. If not, then go for it if it still looks like a good deal versus the likes of carwow.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If the price is right, I don't see any downsides. They are often very well specced. Our Volvo was an ex demo.

Takea look at drive the deal. Usually much better discounts, and supplied new.
    It's just a matter of time...

Looks like drive the deal come on around £10k off or more on a new shape GLC.
    It's just a matter of time...